Pittsburgh Brewing files chapter 11

pointbreeze

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Pgh Brewing is well supported. I think the big problem is with the sewage cost. For the longest time, the brewery has to pay a sewage bill based on the amount of water it uses. This doesn't make sense for a brewery as most of the water is uses goes into the product and is not dumped back into its sewer lines.

^^good point PB, I think the city should review the way in which they are billed . . . before they move to Washington Co.

I do know that the entire beer industry is having problems lately, even the big boys like Coors and Bud, seems the industry is going to specialty beers and wine and hard liquors are gaining grown on traditional brewers. Seems like Pittsburgh Brewing is having to walk the plank for the shrinking marketshare of the whole industry :(

I don't know, have you guys had Iron City lately? My first experience with it was when a homeless person sleeping in our alley left an unopened case of it on my back porch. And then as a bartender Downtown, panhandlers would come in to the bar and pay for it with change from their cups. I don't know anyone else drinking it unless they're feeling adventurous. I don't think we can really blame this on anything besides it being a sucky cheap beer. They should have improved the recipe or diversified into higher end products when they had a chance. The age when Americans don't know what a good beer tastes like are getting numbered.

Well as far as beer firsts go Pittsburgh Brewing was indeed the first for alum cans and bottles, also was the very first in the world with the "pull tab" pop a top (later the lyrics to not one but two hit songs!) and twist off tops.

What strikes me the most is how a tad of clever marketing and some additives can make the difference. The highly sought after Samuel Adams was nothing more then a logo for its first 5 years, they brewed their product at Pittsburgh Brewing, if I remember correctly they only recently stopped brewing Sam Adams in Pittsburgh. Yep that's monongahela river water you drank folks ;). Looks like the company is looking for a "white knight" or some new blood with management so I don't think all is lost yet.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived