What is Greer missing?

GSP Tiger

As South Carolina's fastest growing city, I wonder if there are anything Greer is missing that woudl be beneficial for its growth.

I think Greer is missing...

• a multiplex with stadium seating

• a sporting goods store (i.e. The Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Goods)

• a national bookstore chain (i.e. Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, Borders)

• an upper tier deparment store (i.e. JCPenney)

• a high tier grocer (i.e. Publix, The Fresh Market)

• more restaurants (i.e. O'Charley's, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As South Carolina's fastest growing city, I wonder if there are anything Greer is missing that woudl be beneficial for its growth.

[*]a multiplex with stadium seating

There was one on Pelham Rd that closed (Don't know if it had stadium seating though. Theaters seems to be a hard sell here.)

[*]a sporting goods store (i.e. The Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Goods)

Agreed.

[*]a national bookstore chain (i.e. Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, Borders)

I think it's time to bring Border's here. The demographics seem right.

[*]an upper tier deparment store (i.e. JCPenney)

I wouldn't consider Penney's upper tier. There is a Belk in Greer, though.

[*]a high tier grocer (i.e. Publix, The Fresh Market)

Publix is in Thornblade now. Rumors of a Fresh Market continue at the new Village at Pelham off 14.

[*]more restaurants (i.e. O'Charley's, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday)

2 Ruby Tuesday's nearby (Pelham & Taylors), but more dining options would be nice.

To me, Greer seems like the perfect location for the Upstate's next lifestyle center. Right between Greenville & Spartanburg, it could draw a mix of retailers that aren't readily available in either city...like Borders.

DO you think that Greer could realisticaly support those stores at this point, being that both Greenville and Spartanburg's major retail areas are not that far away?

Yes. Greenville and Spartanburg's nearest retail areas do require some distance driving. Greer's increasing population and median income is enough to warrant support for these stores. North Hampton Market is the first of these developments with more to follow.

Greer has about 20-25k in the immediate area right? So I would not expect to see anything more than Gaffney has on Floyd Baker.

What population does the City of Greenwood have? A few years ago, it was 29,000; it is probably up in 30,000-35,000 now. I think Greer is growing similar to Greenwood. Greer's population increase will come from new residential developments towards Lake Robinson and below 85 towards Sugartit.

Thats not to say that suburban areas can't be destinations though. Look at place like Duluth, Marietta, or Dunwoody, or any of those places in and around Atlanta. I just don't think Greer will be anything else.

Dunwoody is a destination? :blink: That's news to me. And Duluth is quickly taking a backseat to Lawrenceville. Marietta will always be Marietta.

Dunwoody has Perimeter Mall and the area around that which is an employment node. I realize its not 'exactly' Dunwoody, but its close enough. Marietta is still a suburb though. I don't know the inner working of Atlanta, so you will have to excuse me if I don't get perfect examples. My point is that while Greer can do its thing, and do it successfully, I don't think it will ever be more than a suburb.

• a multiplex with stadium seating

• a sporting goods store (i.e. The Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Goods)

• a national bookstore chain (i.e. Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, Borders)

• an upper tier deparment store (i.e. JCPenney)

• a high tier grocer (i.e. Publix, The Fresh Market)

• more restaurants (i.e. O'Charley's, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday)

With further development planned on Wade Hampton and the development to come with The Village at Pelham, Greer will get most of these things in the next few years. Except, Greer will probubly never have a Red Lobster. O'Charley's I understand was looking to go at the Corner of Suber and Wade Hampton but pulled out. The Discount Tire may no longer happen as well. But a Bank Of TR is still planned as is a carwash. One thing we haven't seen more of is retail, and that is becuase the retailers are waiting to see what impact Greenridge will have on Greer.

As yall may know there is plenty going along accross and near Target, also 12 acres at Wade Hampton and Tryon St. was recently purchased for a shopping center. Publix let their option on 12 acres on Brushy Creek at Suber expire, but Bi-Lo still palns to build one day at their site on HWY 14 and Buncombe Rd. but not their site on Suber Rd. and Hammet Bridge. Also Walgreens COming to Nearth East corner of Buncombe @ 29 but will not go to the sit ethey had rezoned at the SouthEast Coner of Suber and Hammet Bridge Rd..

The Village at Pelham could see Restaurants, hotels, a book store and a upper tier grocery store butSpartanburg Regional is looking to hold off on the design now to see how things are going in like 18 months. BTW, the finished building is amazing, stop in to Hot Java inside some time.

Also, lots of Grouth will be seen on HWY 290 at Stallings Rd. , the developer of the Huddle House there has backed out but the Monterey's is still a go as well as a few other restaurants and offices as part of cottage corners. A Grocery store may be in order for that area in the next few years as well.

Also, aot of land is being purchased by the car dealers hoping to land the Nissan Dealership.

Also, though not in Greer, the 55 acre Winn Dixie Distrobution site on Wade Hampton is for sale for $10,000,000 could be a great oppurtunity for a large regional shopping center.

To me, the Suber Rd. corridor seems prime for commercial development, especially at the intersections with Brushy Creek & Hammett Bridge. I guess one thing that may prevent commercial development at these locations is the "relative" proximity they have to Wade Hampton. Yes, there's plenty of nearby residential developments to make most anything built on these sites successful, but by being removed from Wade Hampton, I think businesses fear that "no one will know they're there".

Spinx owns these tracts in question. I wonder what the asking prices are, and if there's stipulations on them (no gas stations can be built on them, etc.)

It's a shame about Publix & Walgreens not committing to the area. That would have been so conveinient for me! :cry:

Archived