19th Consulate General opens in Atlanta!

Lady Celeste

As Atlanta's prominence increases, more consulates open to add citizens of the world.

Peru recently established a consulate in Atlanta, bringing to 19 the number of regular consular offices in the city, according to Mexican Consul Remedios Gomez Arnau, the dean of consuls here. Peru's is the second full consulate to open in Atlanta this year; El Salvador established an office in February.

Arnau said there are also 32 honorary consulates and 16 trade offices here. Several of these brought in new officers this year, making for a busy season.

Atlanta lands another Consulate

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapman...wise beyond his years. If the FTAA thing ever gets ironed out, Atlanta is still in the running for the secretariat. I read an article several months ago that estimated the economic impact of that to be $500 million per year. That's the equivalant of hosting two Super Bowls a year forever. Not too shabby.

Chapman...wise beyond his years. If the FTAA thing ever gets ironed out, Atlanta is still in the running for the secretariat. I read an article several months ago that estimated the economic impact of that to be $500 million per year. That's the equivalant of hosting two Super Bowls a year forever. Not too shabby.

Ryan, and this is the reason why I made this post. Just glancing, the proliferation of consulates in Atlanta may not seem all that glamorous, but it could have far reaching ramifications. Atlanta has desperately wanted the FTAA....and in my estimation, it would be a great addition to a city trying so hard to grow up. With Ryan's post, we can now see the economic advantage to having the FTAA as well.

I would much rather see the city chase this than the Nascar HOF.

• 6 years later...

This may not be as exciting as a new store opening but Atlanta has been selected as home of the Indian Consulate General. This is a huge win for Atlanta from an international perspective. If further shows Atlanta's expanding global reach. A consulate general is no small matter. It also has far reaching economic implications. This is GREAT news.

Read more about the Indian Consulate General here:

http://www.ajc.com/news/indian-consulate-to-come-853688.html

Also I might add that if my calculations are not incorrect, Atlanta is up to 23 consulate generals.

Archived