Charlotte's Asian Mall

monsoon

• 3 months later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering if anyone here happens to remember which chunk of this mall used to house the A&P store in the 1970s. It's definitely not where the supermarket at the other end is, since that's where the old Woolco (later Winn-Dixie) was, I think. I'm guessing it was the white structure at the theatre end (to the right of the old Peebles store) where the church is now, but I'm really not sure.

I have been several times. It is relatively rundown but not falling apart IMHO. I don't find it to be particularly dangerous. Its often packed for lunch during the week. The buildings seem to be fine. I just wish they would fix up the parking area, it looks like a war zone and that alone deters increased traffic. The stores definitely are not for those with queasy stomachs. I can't even look at all the live animals just waiting to be slaughtered in the back cases. I wait in the front of the market and let my friends shop back there.

...The stores definitely are not for those with queasy stomachs. I can't even look at all the live animals just waiting to be slaughtered in the back cases. I wait in the front of the market and let my friends shop back there.

I would re-state that as, the stores are not there to satisfy fussy American palates where people have gotten so far removed from where their food comes from, they have no idea what goes into their mouth these days. One thing that I admire about asian cooking is that it is still based on earth friendly concepts of local fresh food, cook what is in season, and understand the implications of eating a piece of meat. Compare that to the norm everywhere else here where food comes from a factory all packaged up nice and neat in a plastic package. I would argue the chickens being served up in the Asian mall led a much better life than the poor animals raised in corporate chicken farms where they never see the light of day and pumped full of hormones & chemicals just so they can end up on a styrofoam package of boneless skinless chicken breast. (which is fairly tasteless).

It's great we have this option in Charlotte.

• 1 month later...

I would re-state that as, the stores are not there to satisfy fussy American palates where people have gotten so far removed from where their food comes from, they have no idea what goes into their mouth these days.

I could not agree more.

Is there an alternative asian supermarket in Charlotte?

I was there this past weekend for my White Rabbit fix, I mean groceries. The two markets there are definitely not stylish but they're clean enough and well stocked. The veggies are for the most part just as fresh as Harris Teeter at about 2/3 the price. Also it's good to see different sauces/variety among the standards (soy/fish) compared to everything being Kikkoman or HT Traders. If I had ended up living in NoDa this would definitely be my primary grocery store.

The only restaurant experience I've had there has been the girlfriend picking up bubble tea, so I can't speak to that yet, but there were lots of families and even kids running around the interior mall area with no bum/criminal element to it at all.

Compared to other east asian markets in town (the one in the white/green Sedgefield shopping center, the one out Monroe in Matthews, a couple on the 4800-4900 block of Central) the Asian Mall stores definitely have the largest supermarket floor space/ most diverse selection. However if you're looking for the basics such as good noodles, rice, dumplings, spices any of those listed above will work just fine.

It is good to see the immigrant influence on this city (including the central american markets), even if it is not as centralized as in other cities with more defined 'Chinatown' areas.

This mall's story sounds pretty familiar to Gateway Mall in Jacksonville. The 600,000sf mall/strip plaza was built in 1954 and was originally anchored by a JCPenney, Zarye, and May. After white flight and losing most of its chain tenants to newer suburban malls, Gateway has now emerged as an African-American oriented mall, focusing on the needs of its nearby inner city neighborhoods with a Publix grocery store, ethnic restaurants, and several mom & pop retail outlets. One of these days, I'll post a couple of pics.

Amazing! I never in a million years thought I would read something about Gateway Mall in Jacksonville. We lived in Jax until 1965 before Dad was transferred to Charlotte. My Grandmother lived about a mile from Gateway so when we visited me & my sister would go to Gateway, ride the big slide (remember those carpet bag slides that were everywhere in the 70's?), and eat hamburgers.

My mother use to go to the Green Stamps Store there.

I remember well seeing the mall's demise over the years and how my Grandmother use to always tell us how dangerous the area was now. It's been quite some time since I have been back there but I am glad to hear ole Gateway found it's way. Would love to see the pics.

• 3 weeks later...

This I will have to check out next time I'm in Charlotte. What happened to the old theatre that was out there?

If you are referring to the old ABC theatre (Tryon Cinema) that is next to the Asian Mall, the building is still there but it has not been a first run movie theatre in decades now. I don't get over that way much these days, but last time I was there, the building is still there. I know that it was a club for a while, but I don't know what it is used for now.

It's interesting the only business over there that has remained practically unchanged since I lived in that neighborhood in 1978, is the coin laundry in the parking lot. It still even looks today as it did back then. It's kind of a time warp back into the 1970s, and maybe even the 1960s. I wonder how many quarters have been hauled out of that place. :lol:

If you are referring to the old ABC theatre (Tryon Cinema) that is next to the Asian Mall, the building is still there but it has not been a first run movie theatre in decades now. I don't get over that way much these days, but last time I was there, the building is still there. I know that it was a club for a while, but I don't know what it is used for now.

It's interesting the only business over there that has remained practically unchanged since I lived in that neighborhood in 1978, is the coin laundry in the parking lot. It still even looks today as it did back then. It's kind of a time warp back into the 1970s, and maybe even the 1960s. I wonder how many quarters have been hauled out of that place. :lol:

Just a daydream/brainstorm, but I ran across a post on another thread that mentioned the Manor, and the lack of a second/alternative indie movie theater - this might be the opportunity. I'm aware of the demographics of that area - I recall the changes in Hidden Valley and N. Tryon, and had the pleasure of seeing Tryon Mall at all stages of its' decline.

But the Galaxy Theatre in Cary is an illustration of how it could work. A few Indian/South Asian business folks in Cary renovated a dead strip mall, and a block of adjoining outparcels in the Maynard Rd area near I-40 in Cary. The area was reinvented as something like the Asian Mall in Charlotte, and did well enough over time that this group of investors next purchased the theatre, did a top to bottom renovation job, worked out the business plan - a multi-screen Indie/International theatre with screens devoted to Current American Indie film, current International releases, and one screen marketed to immigrant communities playing subtitled Asian or Latin American films NOT in wide US release.

I don't think they did a massive promotional push, but there was a good amount of press and discussion when (and shortly before) they opened, and a very appreciable internet buzz, and they have become an occasional host/overflow venue for the local film fests. Cary alone doesn't have the demographics to support the theatre alone; they have to draw from a wider area - beyond the Triangle; hence their mailing/email list and out-of-town press (like Lawrence Toppman @ The Charlotte Observer).

This could work in Charlotte (which Toppman mentioned in a column); it wouldn't be easy but it would theoretically be doable. In this location the immediate local demographics might not support it, but if marketed regionally it could. Get the daily and alternative press (locally, regionally and across the state) in the loop; ditto for film societies, university groups... This mall - if it can prosper - is already a potential focal point for immigrant (or at least Asian) communities in the greater Charlotte area; such a development could help to solidify that.

Aside from money, someone with a real, serious interest - the Galaxy happened to have a dead mall/theatre, an aggressively ambitious S. Asian business partnership, whose individula participants also happened to be rabid film fans, explicitly looking to create a venue for stuff from Asia, and things like Cannes/Venice Festival Winners that wouldn't otherwise open in NC. Between the Charlotte Film Society and the sizable business community in Charlotte, the knowledge and resources could be gotten, in theory. Such a venture would be a huge cultural boost; it wouldn't run itself, and would require hands on, interested involvement...but as daydreams for Charlotte go, this is (IMO) one of the more achievable...

Honestly I would not think of going to that theatre at night these days. The big problem with that theatre aside, from the area, is that is located next to some industrial buildings and it is not right on Sugar Creek. A walk to your car from the theatre means you are kind of hidden from view of anything else. It's a scary proposition given the makeup of the area.

I think a much better place for an indie movie house would be the former Freedom Village movie theatre on Freedom Drive. (If it is still there.) While that is not the best part of town either, its better than Sugar Creek as there is still a respectable amount of business there, and the theatre is is right on the street. It's not been a movie house for a long time either so I don't know the state of the building.

Have all of the Asian Corner-type malls (i.e., '70s malls with a discounter, an enclosed part with tile and '70s decor and a grocery store) either completely died or been reborn as Asian Corner-type malls? Are there any around central or western NC that still have '70s decor, a discounter and mid-market mall chains in them?

I was so sad to see Woodhill Mall in Columbia listed on deadmalls.com; that was a perfect example of a stagnant '70s mid-market mall.

I am pretty sure the Asian Mall in Charlotte is fairly unique as the only enclosed mall in the Carolinas that has been converted to a Chinatown type place.

As mentioned above Northpark mall is still around, but it is mostly empty now. There were a series of these malls built, usually anchored by a Kroger and Richway, and there might be some others in NC, but I am not sure. The other three in Charlotte are gone now.

The mall in downtown Florence is a lot like the Tryon Mall and probably about the same age. It would be interesteing to hear what happened to ti.

The mall in downtown Florence is a lot like the Tryon Mall and probably about the same age. It would be interesteing to hear what happened to ti.

Thanks for the info. I did a quick search and the Florence Mall must be dying or dead; a Florence city description mentioned the "popular department stores" there (and if there were any, wouldn't they be listed by name?) but then for Magnolia Mall in Florence the description mentioned typical mall chain stores by name, and the Florence Mall doesn't even seem to have a website.

Another '70s mall question- what are those triangular things on the tops of former Target/Richway stores at Northpark, Freedom Mall (and Woodhill Mall in Columbia)? They are pretty unsual looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived