Pavement Praise

Jenkins

Awhile back I complained about the repaving being down in the North End. Well, a few weeks after I thought they had finished they came back again, put down another, final layer of pavement. Looks much better. They only paved a couple streets, but it is better than nothing.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awhile back I complained about the repaving being down in the North End. Well, a few weeks after I thought they had finished they came back again, put down another, final layer of pavement. Looks much better. They only paved a couple streets, but it is better than nothing.

I saw Stephen Malkmus open for Radiohead at the Tweeter center once. He was pretty good but not really my style.

Oh you said not about the band.

I hope that the city does follow through on continuing to improve the roads, though. FWIW I think this delay between rough and top coats is typical of New England roadbuilding. Asphalt is one contruction material I don't know a heck of a lot about, but I would imagine it has to do with settling into the base material (gravel for a new road, the roughed old road for a re-pave) and undergoing several cycles of expansion and contraction.

Glad to hear I still know a decent road when I drive it, you had me worried. I few nights ago I was driving in that area and used the new pavement you just mentioned. I thought it looked pretty good and it seemed smooth. Then I remembered your old post and I began to wonder if I was just so used to crappy roads that even a rough coat seemed nice to me.

Let

I saw Stephen Malkmus open for Radiohead at the Tweeter center once. He was pretty good but not really my style.

Never did catch them in concert, but am a big fan of the the album with the kid playing the in the toilet on the cover (name escapes me at the moment). Think I read that is an actual family photo of theirs.

Let

They recently paved Almy St from Westminster to Broadway. They ripped up the road one day. 3 weeks later put the rough coat on. About a week after they put the final coat down. Now the road is very smooth and graded well.

In my experience, the time from ripped up road to rough coat is usually the longest. That part sucks the most too as the manhole covers and all are exposed. Quite an obstacle course.

I kind of miss the green red white center striping though.

Had there been a Columbus Day Festival this year, I'm sure the italian lane markings would have returned. They usually paint that before the festival, then change it back to yellow after, sometimes not until spring.

Speaking of the time between steps, Atwells had all the steps done at once. The whole street took less than two weeks. The problem though, is the street needs a total rebuild, and only got a quickie fix. They also didn't repaint all the crosswalks.

The problem though, is the street needs a total rebuild, and only got a quickie fix. They also didn't repaint all the crosswalks.

I have a feeling that many of our roads need a rebuild and not just a resurfacing.

It is too bad about the crosswalks. I feel that well marked crosswalks, lines, and parking areas all make a large positive impact on an area. It, along with decent roads, makes the neighborhood look well cared for and welcoming. They don't have to be fancy crosswalks; just well maintained lines with a consistently executed design would be fine. It would seem that the visual gain for the investment is huge.

Throw in a nice street signage strategy (as mentioned in other posts) time the traffic lights intelligently and the overall driving/walking experience will be very nice.

Speaking of traffic light timing; I enjoy walking in downtown Vancouver, BC. This is largely due to the timing of the traffic lights. They have found a way that lets the vehicular traffic flow nicely while letting pedestrians walk without having to wait at intersections for the light change. It might simply be a coincident function of the size of their blocks and the speed of foot and vehicular traffic, but it is great to just walk at a reasonable pace and almost never have to stop at an intersection.

Locally, I would hope we could at least get traffic light timing that lets vehicular traffic move efficiently. Dare to dream.

Archived