Atlanta vs. "Atlanta, Georgia"

Andrea

I just wanted to say that I find this a continuing source of annoyance. Yesterday I was watching the Weather Channel and the meteorologist said, "The storms are moving out of Dallas, across St. Louis, Memphis and Indianapolis, and on into the Atlanta, Georgia area."

For Pete's sake, she was pointing at the map! Is Atlanta such a podunk town that it is the only one that has to have the state tacked on at the end? Do they think people in the rest of the country won't know where Atlanta is unless they point out that it's in Georgia?

It's like, "Oh, everybody knows where Dallas and St. Louis, Memphis and Indianapolis are. But Atlanta? That's way down in Georgia, isn't it? Let's be sure to point that out so people won't get all confused."

:huh:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and I heard another one recently. On a call in show they were getting callers from all over the place -- Boston, Tampa, Charlotte, Philadelphia. Not once did they mention the state after the city. Then, they said, "Okay, now let's take a call from Atlanta, Georgia."

Good grief!!! Do they really think that unless they add "Georgia" that nobody is going to know where they are talking about? It makes us sound so bush leaque.

I've written this before in the Charlotte forum when they were mad about the NC attachment, so let me just say this because it applies directly to Atlanta.

My aunt and cousins went to live in Hollywood last year for the summer (yes, they want to be actresses and yes they met Dakota Fanning :D ). Anyway, the whole time they were there they were telling people they were from Augusta, Georgia. No one seemed to know where that was until they said, "The Masters." And then people were like, "Oh yeah, Augusta National. Right on." Okay, so that was how she identified herself. Still, most people assumed that Augusta was a suburb of Atlanta and would often introduce her as being from Atlanta, near the Augusta National. No kidding.

Other people were not so lucky. She met a woman there from Columbia. No one knew where Columbia was. No one knew where South Carolina was. In fact, the only places that people in California knew when she was there, were Texas, Atlanta, and Florida. Everyone assumed this one lady I think she was from North Carolina was from Atlanta, until she actually became very upset. Same with the Columbia person. My aunt says she finally just got upset and said Columbia, South Carolina!!!! I"m from Columbia. And then the producers were like, "Oh okay. How far is that from Atlanta? Or is that closer to Florida?" I'm not kidding. So be happy Atlanta, they know you in Hollywood!!!

I just wanted to say that I find this a continuing source of annoyance. Yesterday I was watching the Weather Channel and the meteorologist said, "The storms are moving out of Dallas, across St. Louis, Memphis and Indianapolis, and on into the Atlanta, Georgia area."

For Pete's sake, she was pointing at the map! Is Atlanta such a podunk town that it is the only one that has to have the state tacked on at the end? Do they think people in the rest of the country won't know where Atlanta is unless they point out that it's in Georgia?

It's like, "Oh, everybody knows where Dallas and St. Louis, Memphis and Indianapolis are. But Atlanta? That's way down in Georgia, isn't it? Let's be sure to point that out so people won't get all confused."

Oh, and I heard another one recently. On a call in show they were getting callers from all over the place -- Boston, Tampa, Charlotte, Philadelphia. Not once did they mention the state after the city. Then, they said, "Okay, now let's take a call from Atlanta, Georgia."

Good grief!!! Do they really think that unless they add "Georgia" that nobody is going to know where they are talking about? It makes us sound so bush leaque.

I don't really think the state abreviation after Atlanta is anything more than a habbit. Where it started, I don't know but it makes me think of how I got in the habbit of calling some adults by their first and last names when I was young. "Hi, Bob Jones.." etc. Sounds weird now, but the two names went together and I still want to call those people by their first and last name.

I've talked to people all over the country and when they ask where I'm from and I say "Atlanta", there never is any question of which state Atlanta is in...so I really wouldn't worry about this too much. Just a repeated phrase that has kind of stuck.

I've written this before in the Charlotte forum when they were mad about the NC attachment, so let me just say this because it applies directly to Atlanta.

My aunt and cousins went to live in Hollywood last year for the summer (yes, they want to be actresses and yes they met Dakota Fanning :D ). Anyway, the whole time they were there they were telling people they were from Augusta, Georgia. No one seemed to know where that was until they said, "The Masters." And then people were like, "Oh yeah, Augusta National. Right on." Okay, so that was how she identified herself. Still, most people assumed that Augusta was a suburb of Atlanta and would often introduce her as being from Atlanta, near the Augusta National. No kidding.

Other people were not so lucky. She met a woman there from Columbia. No one knew where Columbia was. No one knew where South Carolina was. In fact, the only places that people in California knew when she was there, were Texas, Atlanta, and Florida. Everyone assumed this one lady I think she was from North Carolina was from Atlanta, until she actually became very upset. Same with the Columbia person. My aunt says she finally just got upset and said Columbia, South Carolina!!!! I"m from Columbia. And then the producers were like, "Oh okay. How far is that from Atlanta? Or is that closer to Florida?" I'm not kidding. So be happy Atlanta, they know you in Hollywood!!!

^ Spartan adn Hammett, that's what makes it so funny. People always complain that Southerners don't know anything about other regions of the country, but here is a group of people who are supposed to represent englightened America and they were ignorant to anything outside of the big cities. And I don't think they were being jerks or anything. I think they honestly didn't know.

Just for the record, I'm not insulting California or Hollywood. My family loved it out there and said everyone was very nice and laid back.

so much for that california education system! I can understand not knowing where Columbia is, but there is NO excuse for not knowing where every state in the union is. I personally think people should know the capitals a major cities too, but I know thats pushing it. Its the geographer in me ;)

My spouse used to always tell people when he was asked where he was originally from that he was from "Kansas City, Missouri".

I used to tell him that everbody knew where KC was and, therefore, the "Missouri" was unnecessary. What I had not considered, however, was that KC locals often referred to their city in this way to clearly distinguish themselves from Kansas City, Kansas, which lies just across the state line and is a separate municipality altogether.

Archived