Atlanta vs. "Atlanta, Georgia"

Andrea

While not as large as the cities above, but internationally known, I think Savannah should be afforded the same luxury. When you say "Savannah", you think GA by default (unless you live in S. Central TN, where there is a Savannah, TN...but it's not famous by a long shot).

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a native Atlantan and have lived in this great city for 46 years as of today (being my birthday) and there are two symbols that have made Atlanta recognized around the globe. The two symbols are the Coka-Cola logo and the Olympic rings, the two most recognized symbols in the world.

As far as Atlanta vs. Atlanta GA, most of that comes from the media, as of a case in point , on ABC's Goodmorning America, Diane Sawyer was interacting with an ABC corrispondant in London, so there was a split screen and on the left was Diane Sawyer with her location listed above her picture as New York NY, and on the right was the corrispondant and above thier picture it listed the location as London, England.

So I don't see it as any big deal with the excption that there are I believe 10 small towns in the United States named Atlanta.

As far as how to pronounce the city's name, it can depend on what part of the city or metro area you might live in.

I have lived in Buckhead all my life and pronounce Atlanta with every letter pronounced, as AT-LAN-TA.

• 2 weeks later...
I just heard it AGAIN. Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday just said, "Joining us now is Sen. Obama's spokesman from Atlanta, Georgia." He referred to several other cities during this newscast but in no other case did he mention the state. I'm telling you, in the eyes of big media we're still treated like Podunk.

^^^^ I agree with you Plasticman, you have some valid points, but when you tell Andrea " to get a grip man", she is only stating facts, that especially in Atlanta's past, the Northern press HAS in fact tried to make Atlanta seem like Andy Griffith's Mayberry, NC, so I agree with Andrea as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that Rand McNalley has a personal vendetta against Atlanta. They still have the same 1980 urbanized area outlined in orange. They have yet to update it, while every other city has been updated. It's quite pathetic. None of Gwinnett, with the exception of a small sliver in Norcross, as well as one in Lilburn, is colored in orange. Much of Cobb is not colored. Much of North Fulton is not colored, nor is any of Fayette, Henry, much of Clayton, none of Rockdale, little of Douglas, none of Paulding, etc. The amount of urbanized area shown is one-third the actual size, and it continues year after year, even when they update road changes. Other cities continue to have their urbanized areas updated. It's part of the reason why I switched over to "American Map" atlas, a much superior atlas, and one that has urbanized areas accurate, including Atlanta.

Archived