Texarkana-Boom Town

bigboyz05

The Texas side is dry and these people were getting signatures to allow the sale of beer and wine in Texas side convenience and grocery stores. Anyway this other group called OneTexarkana said if this happens the social and economic impacts will be devastating and will contribute to the city's downfall. When I heard that I was like are these people for real?

That reminds me of another issue unique to border towns. Bigboyz05, could you explain the tax situation in Texarkana? Arkansas has a grocery tax and Texas doesn't, but according to the latest information I saw, Arkansas with a lower state sales tax rate. I've asked a friend from Texarkana about it, but not recently. Are exceptions made for it being a border city?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me of another issue unique to border towns. Bigboyz05, could you explain the tax situation in Texarkana? Arkansas has a grocery tax and Texas doesn't, but according to the latest information I saw, Arkansas with a lower state sales tax rate. I've asked a friend from Texarkana about it, but not recently. Are exceptions made for it being a border city?

The last time I was there (in December) the TX side sales tax was 8.25%. I was told the ARK side sales tax was up to 10%.

With all the population growth, what is being planned about building new schools? I saw that Texas High was expanding, but what about the other schools?

The last time I was there (in December) the TX side sales tax was 8.25%. I was told the ARK side sales tax was up to 10%.

With all the population growth, what is being planned about building new schools? I saw that Texas High was expanding, but what about the other schools?

All of the school districts in town are doing some kind of expansion. Pleasant Grove is growing the fastest because that's where a lot of the residential growth is occuring. It's not just the school districts that are growing but Texas A&M University will be building there new campus as well. Construction will begin this spring and completion is scheduled for fall 2009. It will eventually serve as many as 12,000 students. Also the School of Engineering will start construction soon.

Yeah. I know that right around the time when kids go back to school the Arkansas side has a tax free weekend which the Texas side has also. I know there was some uproar about it because people who lived in other parts of Arkansas didn't feel it was fair that Texarkana had this and their city didn't.

All of the school districts in town are doing some kind of expansion. Pleasant Grove is growing the fastest because that's where a lot of the residential growth is occuring. It's not just the school districts that are growing but Texas A&M University will be building there new campus as well. Construction will begin this spring and completion is scheduled for fall 2009. It will eventually serve as many as 12,000 students. Also the School of Engineering will start construction soon.

where's Texas A&M going to build their new campus?

What's the median home price in Texarkana? I've always wanted to know, because I had alot of family wanting to move to Georgia, but resisted when they saw how much the homes were.

where's Texas A&M going to build their new campus?

What's the median home price in Texarkana? I've always wanted to know, because I had alot of family wanting to move to Georgia, but resisted when they saw how much the homes were.

Our new campus will be built on the north side of town out by Bringle Lake. New apartments will start construction out there soon as well as connector roads leading to the campus. I'm not sure what the median price is but, you can find nice affordable homes in good neighborhoods for as little as 50k.

I forgot to mention this again, but I was watching Weird Travels again Friday Night on the Travel Channel, and Texarkana was mentioned again for it's Big Foot Sightings. They only mentioned them once, but they did also show a news clipping mentioning Texarkana as well.

Just thought I'd mention it, since this is the second week in a row they have mentioned Texarkana.

I forgot to mention this again, but I was watching Weird Travels again Friday Night on the Travel Channel, and Texarkana was mentioned again for it's Big Foot Sightings. They only mentioned them once, but they did also show a news clipping mentioning Texarkana as well.

Just thought I'd mention it, since this is the second week in a row they have mentioned Texarkana.

Texarkana gets a lot of weird mentions. It's in a high traffic area, I guess, and that might be part of it.

REM actually had a very good song called "Texarkana".

Of course, "Smokey and the Bandit" was the best reference.

Edited by Aporkalypse

Of course, "Smokey and the Bandit" was the best reference.

"The folks are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarkana, and we'll bring it back no matter what it takes" :D

I love that movie. :lol:

There are actually alot of songs that give some reference to Texarkana. I can think of a few off the top of my head by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I know it's pretty wild. I had to laugh when I heard that on the evening news.

This is honestly something I wouldn't be suprised to hear on the local New Orleans news(pre-Katrina that is), which really shows you something.

But I'm also curious if this was on the Texas side or the Arkansas side, like Rod said.

No, can't say I did. Was this actually in Arkansas?

No. It was in Louisiana, in the Shreveport area. Not too long ago this lady tried to sell her 9 year old daughter to a known pedophile for $500 to feed her crack habit. Don't even get me started on the rash of robberies of businesses down there. This girl and her boyfriend known in the area as the "Dollar Store bandits" were responsible for a series of robberies of Family Dollar Stores. They are now in custody.

Well isn't that great...more stupidity in Louisiana <_< ...

SE Louisiana see's enough of this stuff, I really hope NW Louisiana is able to get a handle on it.

Believe me Texarkana has seen it's share of morons. This one man tried to rob a local bank through the drive through. He told the bank teller he had a gun and while he was waiting for her to send some money the cops pulled up behind him and arrested his stupid butt. That ain't nothing. This guy robbed Church's Chicken and after he did so ordered a two piece special! The cops caught the nut eating the chicen in an alley right behind the restaurant. Then there was the man who broke into people's homes while they slept and would clean up their houses and take their food. He was eventually caught when this old woman smelled food cooking and she called the police and they got him as he was helping himself to bacon and waffles. Also there was the case of this man who lived downtown and he was making meth and burned his house down. He was arrested and taken right up the street to the police station. So don't feel too bad NCB.

Well isn't that great...more stupidity in Louisiana <_< ...

SE Louisiana see's enough of this stuff, I really hope NW Louisiana is able to get a handle on it.

I'm glad it's not in Arkansas. For all the negative and weird publicity we seem to get, if it would have been in Arkansas, you can gurantee that you would see it on CNN or Yahoo News.

Texarkana, Ark. council members not wholly opposed to annexation

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news05.txt

Also the downtown loft/market project is moving forward. This project will truly urbanize downtown. Going to the supermarket, eating out, going to theater, the post office or just paying bills will all soon be within walking distance. I have great confidence that this project will breathe much needed life into downtown.