Texarkana-Boom Town

bigboyz05

Hey Darius I have a question for you. :D I was looking up some historic and unique houses in the state of Arkansas when I came across one in Texarkana called the Ace of Clubs House. There was something about it being built in 1885 from the winnings from a poker game. I think they even mentioned it's shaped in the shape of a club. Do you know anything about this house?

pt02_img_aceofclubs.jpg

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Darius I have a question for you. :D I was looking up some historic and unique houses in the state of Arkansas when I came across one in Texarkana called the Ace of Clubs House. There was something about it being built in 1885 from the winnings from a poker game. I think they even mentioned it's shaped in the shape of a club. Do you know anything about this house?

pt02_img_aceofclubs.jpg

I really don't know much about it although I've heard of it. Here is a site I found that will tell you more about the Ace of Clubs House. I hope this is helpful.

http://www.texarkanamuseums.org/ace_of_clubs_house.htm

Here is an article about the Burrhman Pharr project downtown.

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news01.txt

I heard some news about Texarkana today. Sounds like the Texas side is considering selling beer and wines in grocery stores and such and also allowing liquor sales in restaurants. This worries the Arkansas side that they'll lose some income if this happens. Not sure when this will be decided.

I heard some news about Texarkana today. Sounds like the Texas side is considering selling beer and wines in grocery stores and such and also allowing liquor sales in restaurants. This worries the Arkansas side that they'll lose some income if this happens. Not sure when this will be decided.

About a couple of months ago there were people going to Texas side grocery stores and asking customers to sign a petition on would they support beer/wine sales. They got a lot of people to sign. I personally don't think the Arkansas side has anything to worry about.

Millwood Lake is a big draw here in SW Arkansas. There is even a beach there. Many people have summer homes out there. Also, hunting is big down here particularly hog and deer hunting. We have lots of festivals mainly in the spring and summer. Some of our more well known festivals are the Quadrangle festival which is downtown. The Hope Watermelon festival is huge and brings tens of thousands of people and money to Hope. Also near Hope is the Jonquil festival which is an arts and crafts festival. Again in Hope is the former home of Bill Clinton museum. In September we have the Four States Fair out at the Fairgrounds. Also, a lot of people who visit the area go to our hockey games.

Millwood Lake is a big draw here in SW Arkansas. There is even a beach there. Many people have summer homes out there. Also, hunting is big down here particularly hog and deer hunting. We have lots of festivals mainly in the spring and summer. Some of our more well known festivals are the Quadrangle festival which is downtown. The Hope Watermelon festival is huge and brings tens of thousands of people and money to Hope. Also near Hope is the Jonquil festival which is an arts and crafts festival. Again in Hope is the former home of Bill Clinton museum. In September we have the Four States Fair out at the Fairgrounds. Also, a lot of people who visit the area go to our hockey games.

I've heard of Millwood Lake but I guess I didn't realize it was that big of a draw. I guess I was thinking there was another lake in that area but maybe I'm thinking a little more over to the Ouachitas. And yeah I've certainly heard of the Hope Watermelon Festival. Can't say I've heard of the others though.

Over on the Texas side there's Lake Wright Patman which is about 16 miles from us. It is a huge lake and people come from miles around to fish and lay out on the beach. Is that the other lake you were wondering about?

I was thinking of De Gray Lake. But I looked on a map and noticed it's getting over towards the Hot Springs/Ouachitas area.

Edited by Mith242

The Texarkana Symphony Orchestra will make its debut on April 4th. Their very first concert will take place downtown at the Perot Theatre. I was surprised to find this out. I didn't know Texarkana was big enough for this.

That's nice to hear. That makes me wonder, how many symphony orchestras are in Arkansas.

I know all the major cities/urban areas should have one. I'm not sure about Pine Bluff though. How many are there in NWA?

As far as I know just one based in Fayetteville. I don't think I've ever heard of any other of the NWA cities having one. Of course Little Rock has one, maybe more. I think I remember Pine Bluff having one when I was younger but I don't know if they still do. Ft Smith could be big enough to have one possibly.

As far as I know just one based in Fayetteville. I don't think I've ever heard of any other of the NWA cities having one. Of course Little Rock has one, maybe more. I think I remember Pine Bluff having one when I was younger but I don't know if they still do. Ft Smith could be big enough to have one possibly.

The Arkansas Symphony Orchestra is based on LR. My sister used to belong to the Northwest Arkansas Symphony Orchestra, based in Fayetteville.