Texarkana-Boom Town

bigboyz05

In Texas the city is growing very rapidly toward the west and north. The city is also growing south along U.S. Hwy. 59. however, most of that growth is through annexation. In Arkansas the city is growing like wildfire north toward the Little River County line and some city leaders think the growth may actually spill over the county line soon. The city recently annexed a lot of land and it is quickly filling in with new housing developments. As far as growth toward Louisiana, it is at a minimum. There is growth from the city toward the town of Fouke but, past Fouke there is nothing but forest. I think the town of Fouke may one day be swallowed by Texarkana. In my opinion, I think Shreveport will grow north much faster than Texarkana growing south. Who knows there may be a Shreveport/Texarkana metro one day, although I think the Longview/Marshall MSA has a better chance of growing into Louisiana since they are closer to the stateline.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, I think Shreveport will grow north much faster than Texarkana growing south.

I agree, Shreveport is growing like wildfire to to the north. What used to be forest just a few years ago north of the city is now entirely new bustling communities. The fastest growing areas of Shreveport are north and northeast of the city.

Dude, Texarkana is definitely rising from the ashes. Since my wife is from there, and I lived there for a short time, I recall many times she and I would come down to Shreveport to do our shopping. All her friends would come here to shop and dine out as well. Well, times they are a-changin in Texarkana, and I think it's great... and about time!! I think the best thing I've seen happen to Texarkana was for that cow pasture out behind the old Movies 8 (now gone) to be developed into the Texarkana Pavilion shopping area. That was a huge, expansive area of land and it had "BUILD HERE" written all over it. All it took was a little money and a little vision, and bam... a shopping center that can compete head-to-head with the Youree Drive corridor of south Shreveport. That's bad for us, but good for you... it keeps your local residents from having to spend their money elsewhere.

Exactly! I know a majority of the county's residents either come here to work, shop or whatever. Someone told me that back in the 60'2 and 70's Little River County was part of the metro. Do you know if that's true or not?

Everyone I know from the Foreman-Ashdown area goes to Texarkana to do most of their major shopping, eat out, enjoy the nightlife, etc. And if they want to gamble, they just head down to Shreveport.

I couldn't tell you if Little River County was part of the metro back in the 60's and 70's as I've never heard anything about it or researched it, but I can probably find out for you in the next few days. :thumbsup:

...enjoy the nightlife...

Nothing against Texarkana, but what nightlife? When we lived there a couple of years ago there were only a couple of bars that people went to... not even a real night club except for the country and western bar near the airport. Again, nothing against Texarkana, and maybe I've missed something, but most nights in Texarkana were spent at home due to the lack of nightlife. This is definitely an area Texarkana could use some improvement in, and maybe now with all the growth they will get some good clubs.

Nothing against Texarkana, but what nightlife?

I agree that there isn't much of a nightlife in Texarkana, and that the city could really use an improvement in this, but it's got a heck of alot more of a nightlife than the area I'm talking about in Little River County. For the people in Foreman, the closest real nightclub is in Texarkana, and they have to go to New Boston, TX or Texarkana just to find a bar, as Little River Country is a dry county. There isn't much action in Texarkana at night compared to Shreveport, which is where most people in the area go to enjoy a night on the town, but it's much more than what you'll find in Foreman, AR.

I agree that there isn't much of a nightlife in Texarkana, and that the city could really use an improvement in this, but it's got a heck of alot more of a nightlife than the area I'm talking about in Little River County. For the people in Foreman, the closest real nightclub is in Texarkana, and they have to go to New Boston, TX or Texarkana just to find a bar, as Little River Country is a dry county. There isn't much action in Texarkana at night compared to Shreveport, which is where most people in the area go to enjoy a night on the town, but it's much more than what you'll find in Foreman, AR.

You make a good point. There many not be much in Texarkana as far as nightlife, but I suppose it is a big deal for those from the smaller towns who have nothing.

Back on the subject of quality, there has GOT to be some businessman in Texarkana, who has the means, who would like to invest in a decent nightclub.

Tracey Lawrence moves yearly concert to Texarkana

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news03.txt

Interesting. I have never been to his homecoming in Foreman, but I saw him in concert at a rodeo in Crossett when I was a teen. It's hard to believe he's moving it from Foreman, but I do see his reasoning.

I may go this year, I'd like to see him again, as well as 3 Doors Down.

Edited by tim2462

More news so read up guys.

Getting Squared Away

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news01.txt

In The Market

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2.../opinions01.txt

Transportation Plan Under Review

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news06.txt

Father Arrested After Child Found Wandering Busy Street

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news09.txt

I will post more soon so enjoy.

More news so read up guys.

Getting Squared Away

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news01.txt

In The Market

Transportation Plan Under Review

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news06.txt

Father Arrested After Child Found Wandering Busy Street

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news09.txt

I will post more soon so enjoy.

Your 'In The Market' link doesn't work. In the URL, "/local_news/opinions/opinions01.txt," it should read "/local_news/opinion/opinions01.txt." The first "opinions" in your link should be "opinion."

Here's the corrected link:

Interesting. I have never been to his homecoming in Foreman, but I saw him in concert at a rodeo in Crossett when I was a teen. It's hard to believe he's moving it from Foreman, but I do see his reasoning.

I may go this year, I'd like to see him again, as well as 3 Doors Down.

Texarkana never gets any good concerts, so this will definitely be a plus for the cities. Heck, I may even drive up there to see it. I thought about driving to Foreman last year to see it but that's a couple hours north of here.

Hey guys! Coming soon is phase 3 of the Richmond Ranch shopping center off Richmond Road. It will be on 22 1/2 acres. No stores have been announced yet but, I'll keep you posted. Also, further back behind this development along side the frontage road more than 300 acres of land have been cleared. New streets and water lines have already been installed to make way for a future development called Waterman Creek that will consist of stores, apartments, office buildings, entertainment options and more. In Arkansas a shopping center to be anchored by Kohl's is being constructed. Everywhere I go on the Arkansas side I see signs where new housing developments are going in. Barkman Creek subdivision will feature homes from $500,000 up to $1,000,000. A friend of mine who is in real estate told me of plans of a 12 story tower to be constructed off of I-30 near the Century Bank tower. I'm so excited about all of these developments. The same friend also told me that many other developments, which he couldn't tell me about, are lined up all the way through 2008! A computer company by the name of OSI has shown interest in Texarkana and if they decide to build their operations here it could bring over 12,000 jobs to the city.

Hey guys! Coming soon is phase 3 of the Richmond Ranch shopping center off Richmond Road. It will be on 22 1/2 acres. No stores have been announced yet but, I'll keep you posted. Also, further back behind this development along side the frontage road more than 300 acres of land have been cleared. New streets and water lines have already been installed to make way for a future development called Waterman Creek that will consist of stores, apartments, office buildings, entertainment options and more. In Arkansas a shopping center to be anchored by Kohl's is being constructed. Everywhere I go on the Arkansas side I see signs where new housing developments are going in. Barkman Creek subdivision will feature homes from $500,000 up to $1,000,000. A friend of mine who is in real estate told me of plans of a 12 story tower to be constructed off of I-30 near the Century Bank tower. I'm so excited about all of these developments. The same friend also told me that many other developments, which he couldn't tell me about, are lined up all the way through 2008! A computer company by the name of OSI has shown interest in Texarkana and if they decide to build their operations here it could bring over 12,000 jobs to the city.

Careful... OSI is old news. This time last year, the "company's" plans were exposed as fraud. The owner of the "company" was some smooth-talking kid living in some small east Texas town. Just thought I'd bring it up before you get too excited about it. Here are news some stories related to the OSI issue:

http://www.pixelated-dreams.com/archives/1...g-Part-III.html

Anyway, the rest of the developments you mentioned sound very promising. I have been pleasantly surprised, the last few times I've been to Texarkana, to see how much both sides were progressing. It's about time Texarkana, AR got over its development slump.

As for the Richmond Ranch phase III project, I recently read about some of the tenants but can't remember when or where I saw the information. If I can find the information again, I'll gladly share it with you here.

The Barkman Creek area sounds like a great project. If it comes to fruition, it will blow Pleasant Grove out of the water as Texarkana's premier place to live. Have you ANY idea how much house $500,000-$1,000,000 will buy you in Texarkana?? The difference in cost of living between Texarkana and Shreveport is pretty extreme. Homes in Texarkana are much cheaper, as I found out. Anyone with a $1,000,000 home in Texarkana will get MUCH more living space and luxury than someone with a $1,000,000 home in Shreveport. Kudos to the developer for taking on such an ambitious project.