Texarkana-Boom Town

bigboyz05

have any of you heard of a town about 14 miles south of Texarkana called Fouke?

I have!!! Hwy 71 runs right through it.

So they are going to widen I-30. That's good b/c at the rate the city's growing, it's needed. I don't think that it's seen any major construction since it was built.

When did Burhman-Pharr close????

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enique, if I'm not mistaken I think it was 2000 when Burhman Pharr closed. I can't wait for the lofts to open. A downtown cinema recently opened. They show mainly older less known movies. Not too old but, stuff from the 80's and 90's. I wish we had a zoo here. I know there was one back in the early 80's when I was just about 4 years old but it was shut down because the animals were being poisoned.

Did you guys here about what happened here regarding a car salesman? These people came to a car dealership and wanted to take a test drive. Anyway, the saleman was taken out of town and shot just so they could get the car. Texarkana has never been a high crime city and I don't want it to start. I'm just wondering Mith, is crime bad up there in NWA?

Did you guys here about what happened here regarding a car salesman? These people came to a car dealership and wanted to take a test drive. Anyway, the saleman was taken out of town and shot just so they could get the car. Texarkana has never been a high crime city and I don't want it to start. I'm just wondering Mith, is crime bad up there in NWA?

Not really, although I admit it has gone up as the population swells up here. But even if you take that into account it's rather low for the size of the metro up here. One of the reasons NWA gets rated so high in some of these rankings in places to live is because of the low crime rate. I did hear a little about that care dealership crime.

Texarkana's got quite a bit more crime than NWA, I think, though there are a couple of areas in Fayetteville where drugs are a problem - often with the involvement of UA athletes. :P

I know in the early 90's these kids call themselves forming a gang called the Rat Pack of all things, lol! Anyway, they tried to act like hard "gangstas" but they mainly sold marijuana and drove around blasting their Tupac and Snoop Doggy Dogg cd's. The cops pretty much shut down their little "gang" although one of the members is currently in prison for robbing Family Dollar Store. Althoug we've had years where crime shot up we pretty much have low crime. Last year we just had 2 murders. I was watching television a few days ago and they said that Shreveport, LA had a higher murder rate last year than either Fort Worth or San Francisco, cities more than twice it's size! that's insane!

I was watching television a few days ago and they said that Shreveport, LA had a higher murder rate last year than either Fort Worth or San Francisco, cities more than twice it's size! that's insane!

Yea, alot of Louisiana cities are having problems with crime.

New Orleans has the 2nd highest murder rate in the country. That more than doubles(I think it is more) New York City's murder rate, and NYC is more than 16 times the size of NOLA. :blink:

Anyway, have any of you heard of a town about 14 miles south of Texarkana called Fouke? Well, it's right off the path of the Arkansas 549 freeway. About 1,000 people live there. There are plans to build a truck stop, shopping center and hotel near the freeway. More and more people have inquired about housing down there and if it grows the way city leaders think it will, It may one day grow steadily to the north and meet Texarkana as it grows south.

I've heard about Fouke. We all know what lives in those swamps. :unsure:

fouke4.jpg

FoukeM4.jpg

Did any of y'all see the movie about this that came out in the '70s called "The Legend of

Boggy Creek?"

Anyway, have any of you heard of a town about 14 miles south of Texarkana called Fouke?

O yes...I have some fond memories of Fouke. <_<

On my last trip up to Texarkana, I had a tire blowout on HW 71 near Fouke. To make a long story short, I was stuck on Miller County Road 13 for six hours....

Fouke is a nice little town though.