Texarkana-Boom Town

bigboyz05

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mith! It probably is the same man.

Probably a good chance. I remember hearing a little about it on the news. I also remember thinking I don't hear a lot going on in Siloam Springs. It's further away from the rest of the NWA metro. But I've been a little surprised not more growth has happened over there like the rest of NWA.

That's so great to hear the ambition of the people that want to really develope the AR side...it's about time! That's where the residential growth is, now they need the retail and restaurants to accomodate that.

Hey Tim! I'm glad as well! I'm sick and tired of everything going to Texas. Now it's Arkansas' turn.

Probably a good chance. I remember hearing a little about it on the news. I also remember thinking I don't hear a lot going on in Siloam Springs. It's further away from the rest of the NWA metro. But I've been a little surprised not more growth has happened over there like the rest of NWA.

Me and my mom will be taking a trip to look around the area since she's thinking about moving up there. We'll of course focus on the Big 3: Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers. Are there any other areas you would suggest? Also, what is the best time of morning to get there because I don't want to get stuck in rush hour. I'd really appreciate it.

Me and my mom will be taking a trip to look around the area since she's thinking about moving up there. We'll of course focus on the Big 3: Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers. Are there any other areas you would suggest? Also, what is the best time of morning to get there because I don't want to get stuck in rush hour. I'd really appreciate it.

There's Bentonville too, it's not quite the town it used to be either. I don't get a good chance to see traffic on weekdays because I go to work so early in the morning. But I'd think anytime after 9 should be okay. Then of course you'll have the afternoon traffic as people get off work to worry about then. Springdale is the cheapest place to live but also the least desirable city to live in too. I just hope she knows that the housing market has really gone up here. Houses may still seem cheap to the Californians who have moved in but it certainly isn't to the rest of us here in the state. Sometime you might around a little over on the NWA forum. More of us might notice any questions over there. I remember you asking before about this over in the NWA forum. I really don't think your Mom will have any problems but if she's wanting to be in an area with at least a little bit of a black community Fayetteville will be her best bet. It's just personal preference on stuff like that. Anyway feel free to ask any other questions. :D

As much as some will tell you there is one I wouldn't worry too much about "rush hour". Stay off of US 71 anywhere and stay well away from the UA campus and Wal-Mart HQs in Bentonville and you'll be fine.

As much as some will tell you there is one I wouldn't worry too much about "rush hour". Stay off of US 71 anywhere and stay well away from the UA campus and Wal-Mart HQs in Bentonville and you'll be fine.

I've been there during rush hour...It's horrible around the mall on the expressway where it merges with 540.

College is a stand-still as well.

71B or I-540?

71B

I-540's not that bad. Not that great either but I doubt it's much worse than Texarkana or Ft Smith at that time.

The interesting thing about I-540 is that it handles its volume of traffic better than you think it would. I think part of this is that you have both southbound and northbound traffic both in the AM and PM rush (workers goint to Wal-Mart while students head to campus at UA, etc), meaning you never get to drive 90 at rush hour but it's not nearly as bad as a class influx and efflux from a CBD.

So my best bet would be to stay on the freeway and avoid 71B which goes through the heart of all the cities?

Probably but I wouldn't say you needed to absolutely avoid 71B at all cost or anything. Just keep in mind it's going to be bad at times. I think 71B will be more likely to stay busy throughout the day compared to I-540. Watch out in Springdale, a lot of it's traffic is focused on two roads, 71B and 412. Even when Springdale was a much smaller city it always seemed to have traffic problems. But hey if you need to go on those roads to check out places then it's not that big of a deal, it just might take you a little longer to get around.

True the traffic probably isn't much, especially if you're living in Dallas. :P Not sure what it would seem like to someone living in Texarkana. But they may get up here and think the traffic isn't that big of a deal.

What are the traffic counts up there? I know down here on I-30 it's between 75,000-80,000.

What are the traffic counts up there? I know down here on I-30 it's between 75,000-80,000.

I'll have to see if I can find the place where that info is. I do know Benton County is overall the worst on I-540. Although the area of I-540 in northern Fayetteville where it branches off between heading north to Springdale and going east on the old bypass is also pretty heavy.

I wasn't sure if she'd if she would have any problems if she picked a neighborhood that was mainly all white. I don't mean to imply she's racist or anything. But sometimes people like to group together. I wasn't sure if she might prefer a place like Fayetteville where there is at least some of a black community. Or if that made any difference to her or not. I guess I'm just trying to think of things that I might be able to give any suggestions. I don't necessarily mean to keep bringing up race. I'm trying to think of other factors that might influence any decisions. Of course I guess overall she'll just have to see things herself and make a decision. But if there's any way we can be of help just ask.

Edited by Mith242

I wasn't sure if she'd if she would have any problems if she picked a neighborhood that was mainly all white. I don't mean to imply she's racist or anything. But sometimes people like to group together. I wasn't sure if she might prefer a place like Fayetteville where there is at least some of a black community. Or if that made any difference to her or not. I guess I'm just trying to think of things that I might be able to give any suggestions. I don't necessarily mean to keep bringing up race. I'm trying to think of other factors that might influence any decisions. Of course I guess overall she'll just have to see things herself and make a decision. But if there's any way we can be of help just ask.

She doesn't care about race just as long as the people are respectful. Also, the link you gave me shows Fayetteville's traffic count of I-540 at only 56,000. I thought it would be much higher.

For some reason there's only one exit being listed on that site. Maybe that's not the best info then.

It is much higer...those were 2001 figures and some projections...projections are never right. Based on all of the growth and it being 5 years later...yeah, it'll be much higer.

A little off topic, but since we're talking about traffic counts, I thought I'd mention this. Traffic Counts are pretty high on 540, in Fort Smith...so when they start building the rest of future I-49 in AR, they are not going to use 540 in Fort Smith. They claim that would put too much traffic in Fort Smith. Instead, they are going to build a new portion from Alma, east of Fort Smith, down to an area just south of Greenwood to carry I-49 traffic.