Texarkana-Boom Town

bigboyz05

A little off topic, but since we're talking about traffic counts, I thought I'd mention this. Traffic Counts are pretty high on 540, in Fort Smith...so when they start building the rest of future I-49 in AR, they are not going to use 540 in Fort Smith. They claim that would put too much traffic in Fort Smith. Instead, they are going to build a new portion from Alma, east of Fort Smith, down to an area just south of Greenwood to carry I-49 traffic.

Ah. I guess that explains some of what we were discussing months ago about I-49. They kept talking about how expensive it would be because of the new bridge across the Arkansas River. I know it will add more traffic but I guess I can't imagine it being worse than I-40 around Little Rock and Conway. I'd prefer that they just use pre-existing I-540 around Ft Smith for now. If it turns out to be too bad and they don't want to try to expand it then worry about a new road. I don't like the idea of putting I-49 off because they'll want to have the money for this new stretch around Ft Smith which means it will be even more years before they get I-49 done.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little off topic, but since we're talking about traffic counts, I thought I'd mention this. Traffic Counts are pretty high on 540, in Fort Smith...so when they start building the rest of future I-49 in AR, they are not going to use 540 in Fort Smith. They claim that would put too much traffic in Fort Smith. Instead, they are going to build a new portion from Alma, east of Fort Smith, down to an area just south of Greenwood to carry I-49 traffic.

What a waste of money! It would make much more sense to just use 540 and then have I-49 veer off of 540 before it hits the Oklahoma state line.

What a waste of money! It would make much more sense to just use 540 and then have I-49 veer off of 540 before it hits the Oklahoma state line.

It won't go to the Oklahoma border. Idon't think they'll use that section that goes over close to the border.. I'm not complaining about them putting in a new road over by Ft Smith. But knowing how long this project is already going to take I just hate thinking that this will set it back even further. I'd rather they just go ahead and use the already existing I-540 around Ft Smith. I just have a hard time imagining that it would be a lot worse than what I-40 is around Little Rock and Conway.

Me and my mom will be taking a trip to look around the area since she's thinking about moving up there. We'll of course focus on the Big 3: Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers. Are there any other areas you would suggest? Also, what is the best time of morning to get there because I don't want to get stuck in rush hour. I'd really appreciate it.

Hey when will you be traveling up here to NWA?

Me and my mom will be taking a trip to look around the area since she's thinking about moving up there. We'll of course focus on the Big 3: Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers. Are there any other areas you would suggest? Also, what is the best time of morning to get there because I don't want to get stuck in rush hour. I'd really appreciate it.

You should definately stay away from Arkansas 102,and Walnut/Walton Boulevard in Rogers and Bentonville. These are pretty heavily traveled in the mornings, and usually die off late morning.

Another good community to consider is Lowell, where the traffic isn't quite as bad, and it's in the Middle of NWA, between Springdale and Rogers. It's a good growing community that has a lot of good neighborhoods.

I could be wrong but I got the impression only his Mom was moving.

You're right. I'm staying here and love the fact that my hometown is doing big things. My mother wants a new start for the coming year. She was thinking of Shreveport but their crime is so out of control I quickly talked her out of that. She doesn't want to go to Little Rock either. Pine Bluff was definitely out because their job market is on the skids.She heard a lot about NWA's growth and safe neighborhoods and it's a strong possibility for her.

That's cool. I hope she will be happy up there and not miss her hometown, and I'm glad you're staying to keep us updated :P By the way, you were asking about posting pics. I have found that the easiest way to post pics, is by adding them as an attachment to your post...then click add to message...that puts a thumbnail in the message that opens up as the full size pic.

Edited by tim2462

You're right. I'm staying here and love the fact that my hometown is doing big things. My mother wants a new start for the coming year. She was thinking of Shreveport but their crime is so out of control I quickly talked her out of that. She doesn't want to go to Little Rock either. Pine Bluff was definitely out because their job market is on the skids.She heard a lot about NWA's growth and safe neighborhoods and it's a strong possibility for her.

I hope she really finds this area to her liking. If she has any questions or problems let me know if there's anything I can help with. :D

Well I just got back from SW Arkansas this afternoon. My trip got cut a day short, and thus the day I had planned to go out and take pictures in Texarkana and the entire area turned into the trip back.

Though I still have plenty of pictures from SW Arkansas and NW Texas, most of which are rural, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Well I just got back from SW Arkansas this afternoon. My trip got cut a day short, and thus the day I had planned to go out and take pictures in Texarkana and the entire area turned into the trip back.

Though I still have plenty of pictures from SW Arkansas and NW Texas, most of which are rural, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Great to have you back NCB, you've missed out on a lot.

Great to have you back NCB, you've missed out on a lot.

Thanks mcheiss. :)

Yes I see that the Arkansas forum has been very busy the last three days!

NCB, it's too bad you couldn't have checked in with us while you were there.

I wish I could've gone up to Little Rock again as well. I have cousins who live in Conway, and I was up there last summer, beautiful place. :D

Hey ya'll. Hear are a few links to some articles you might want to read.

Arkansas Side Sportsplex/Arena

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news16.txt

I-49 Funding

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...s/news14.tt.txt

Downtown: New Year, New fortune?

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2.../business01.txt