Belk coming to Mall Of Georgia

DigitalSky

Thank you for your speedy response Mallguy. I can really appreciate that.

As for the Mall of Georgia.

Someone has convinced the marketing and development group for the mall that it is a destination mall. It is not. It is merely a regional mall, nicely appropriated. The problem...or blessing...with metro Atlanta is that there are a bunch of malls here. If you don't specialize or set yourself above the pack, you can fall behind. Shannon Mall in Union City is facing this now...and Southlake is soon to follow. The Mall of Georgia is not that far from Gwinnett Place Mall and the Discovery Mills. Both of these locations are in Gwinnett. The Mall of Georgia is also not very far from upscale NorthPoint Mall and only a few miles further before you are at the very upscale Perimeter Mall. There is nothing spectacular about the MOG and Belk is not going to help that. What will elevate the MOG above it's near rivals. Only Nordstom. If the mall management does not come up with the right mixture, the typical Nordstrom shopper will simply drive to Perimeter Mall. Most monied people aren't at the mall all the time like a bunch of school girls anyway. If the occassion comes up, one will go during off peak hours anyway.

I just wish that the MOG management realize this before it's a harder battle to fight. NorthPoint has a spot to fill and if it lands Nordstrom....and I get updates from it's mall management often...then what will be the driving force for someone in say South Forsyth to drive to the MOG when they can take Peachtree Pkwy to GA 400 and be at NorthPoint in about 10 minutes...okay 15 but who's counting. I remember when Gwinnett Place Mall first opened. While the county has changed, the mall stayed the same. Now it barely appeals to most of it's market region. It's not a bad mall and from all intents and purposes is probably doing well. It will continue to do well....as long as it's not competing with the MOG for Belk and Macy's shoppers.

That's just my feeling....I'm not a former marketing exec but I played on on TV. :w00t:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious to understand the meaning of the highlighted part above that I quoted from you. By clothing, how can you tell that someone is lower income or higher income? If it wasn't the clothing then what was it that gave you the impression that someone was higher income. I'll use an example so you can have some food for thought....

Kenny Rogers.....the singer....is a simple man, grew up in the projects of Houston (I'm getting this from an article about him in today's AJC) and from all appearances when I have seen him does not strike me as a monied man. Today in the AJC article it tells of him cselling his 5 acre Buckhead mansion (Lionheart for those in the know) for $10,000,000. He plans on building a newer home in the area. Now, you could walk past him and not see names of brands blazened across his body....would you assume he was lower-income. Assuming of course you don't know him by sight.

Warren Buffett drives a Lincoln TownCar...definitely not of the Jaguar set.

Some of those same people....and this is the saddest part of it all....are driving around in their $85,000 Jaguars, with their $2300 Louis Vuitton bags and driving home to a $150,000 house. Now how in the world can someone justify spending $85,000 for a car yet live in a $150,000 house? Houses/land are assets...cars and purses depreciate...but I guess people new to money are the first to want to show it off.

My grandfather would always tell me when I was a little girl....the only way to stay rich is to keep the money you have. I always thought him much to frugal. :whistling:

Great points! That's the best advice I've heard in a while :thumbsup:

Great points! That's the best advice I've heard in a while :thumbsup:

He would also say...

"You shouldn't always work for your money, your money should always work for YOU.

He also said....

"The best way to help the poor is to not be one of them."

That was a little harsh but that's what he said. I'm sure he heard that from somebody because while he was tight, he had great compassion for his grandchildren.

I see a lot of these posts as irrelevant.

Truly monied people aren't going to be shopping in ANY mall. :whistling:

Newnan_Eric can you please detail which ones are irrelevant?

I have an assignment for you.

Go to the Neiman Marcus hall in Lenox, usually between 10am-2pm on Mondays-Wednesday or Bloomingdale's about the same days. Noone said they would be shopping but usually they have been called by someone at the store for a private fittings. This I know. I doubt anyone would allege that you would see someone of the old guard walking the halls of a mall when the plebian are there. I have seen it with my own eyes. Unless of course we here have a different idea of what monied means.

I see a lot of these posts as irrelevant.

Truly monied people aren't going to be shopping in ANY mall. :whistling:

To be honest Newnan, one can't say that "truly monied people" do not shop at any mall without facts or stats. Truth be told, every "truly monied person" may/may not prefer to shop period (be it in a mall or a grocery store). On the other hand, I would think that if a person were "truly monied", they would have someone else do their shopping for them OR shut down an entire department store or mall to really put things into perspective.

But being that you stated the posts in this thread are irrelevant, I'll try to get us back on subject.

Here is my thought on Belk coming to the MOG:

I have not been to MOG and frankly, I don't care to go being that I'm not a big shopper. However, I think that the expansion of Belk into the GA market is a good thing. :D

Thank you for your speedy response Mallguy. I can really appreciate that.

As for the Mall of Georgia.

Someone has convinced the marketing and development group for the mall that it is a destination mall. It is not. It is merely a regional mall, nicely appropriated. The problem...or blessing...with metro Atlanta is that there are a bunch of malls here. If you don't specialize or set yourself above the pack, you can fall behind. Shannon Mall in Union City is facing this now...and Southlake is soon to follow. The Mall of Georgia is not that far from Gwinnett Place Mall and the Discovery Mills. Both of these locations are in Gwinnett. The Mall of Georgia is also not very far from upscale NorthPoint Mall and only a few miles further before you are at the very upscale Perimeter Mall. There is nothing spectacular about the MOG and Belk is not going to help that. What will elevate the MOG above it's near rivals. Only Nordstom. If the mall management does not come up with the right mixture, the typical Nordstrom shopper will simply drive to Perimeter Mall. Most monied people aren't at the mall all the time like a bunch of school girls anyway. If the occassion comes up, one will go during off peak hours anyway.

I just wish that the MOG management realize this before it's a harder battle to fight. NorthPoint has a spot to fill and if it lands Nordstrom....and I get updates from it's mall management often...then what will be the driving force for someone in say South Forsyth to drive to the MOG when they can take Peachtree Pkwy to GA 400 and be at NorthPoint in about 10 minutes...okay 15 but who's counting. I remember when Gwinnett Place Mall first opened. While the county has changed, the mall stayed the same. Now it barely appeals to most of it's market region. It's not a bad mall and from all intents and purposes is probably doing well. It will continue to do well....as long as it's not competing with the MOG for Belk and Macy's shoppers.

That's just my feeling....I'm not a former marketing exec but I played on on TV. :w00t:

I think that Southlake needs to take better advantage of its claim as basically the ONLY enclosed mall on the southside. But I don't think that Southlake would ever get as bad as Shannon. Shannon is dead and I see Greenbriar as just a collection of stores within the same building. Southlake needs to spruce itself up and fill that vacant anchor and try to attract more retailers. It could perfectly position itself as a value-mid priced mall. The area surrounding Southlake, IMO is fine. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and noticed three new sit down chain restaurants had opened along Tara Blvd across Mt. Zion (where Southlake is located) and in addition the strip shopping centers nearby are all vibrant with just a couple vacant storefronts (one was a Gateway country which all closed). The largest (I believe) movie theater on the southside, AMC 24 Southlake is just down the street. The area is certainly still viable, definitely moreso than the area surrounding Shannon. All of Shannon's peripheral retailers fled to Fayette Pavillion but Southlake Pavillion has prospered and even added stores despite being much closer to FP than Shannon. And it's in great proximity to Henry County and its booming population. So I think Southlake can definitely turn it around but it need to be agressive and not just roll over and die as Shannon did.

Newnan_Eric can you please detail which ones are irrelevant?

I have an assignment for you.

Go to the Neiman Marcus hall in Lenox, usually between 10am-2pm on Mondays-Wednesday or Bloomingdale's about the same days. Noone said they would be shopping but usually they have been called by someone at the store for a private fittings. This I know. I doubt anyone would allege that you would see someone of the old guard walking the halls of a mall when the plebian are there. I have seen it with my own eyes. Unless of course we here have a different idea of what monied means.

Thanks for handling this, Lady Celeste. I was getting ready to pull a can of "Whoop-A$$" :lol:

Thanks for handling this, Lady Celeste. I was getting ready to pull a can of "Whoop-A$$" :lol:

Settle down Stevie Pooh....

I only rebutted because I normally shop during those times and while I'm not trying to even claim to be monied, I see them all the time when I'm there. I go during those times (and I'm not at the mall all the time unless it's with my 14 year old daughter) because the mall is not crowded with mall walkers and watchers. You can tell....contrary to most the younger posters, a monied person will not be a walking billboard so you have to pay close attention. Their perfectly coffered hair, $25,000 Russian sables, $15,000 South Sea Tahitian Golden Pearls, $7500 Chanel Tweeds and the smell of Chanel No5 (a fragrance I have worn since college) are a dead giveaway. They would then have brunch with their friends at Brasserie Le Coze. Had I not seen these women with my own eyes...I wouldn't know. When it's cold and I want really special service, I wear one of my furs to Neiman Marcus and they literally jump all over you trying to help.

That's just what I have seen with my own eyes many a visits to Lenox, Phipps and even Perimeter.

Settle down everyone. My main point was that I don't figure too many old-guard, old-money folks for mall walkers.

I am also a little surprised that an anchor store change at an exurban mall would kick off a 5-page discussion on a forum dedicated to urbanism. (And yes, I realize that Gwinnett is suburban, but the MoG is far enough out to be called exurban.)

I hate to be nitpicky buuuuuuuuuuuuuut,

Settle down everyone. My main point was that I don't figure too many old-guard, old-money folks for mall walkers.

We started off by talking about monied people. Not all monied people are the old-guard. There are many of the younger old-monied people (14-35) who don't adhere to the old ways. Atlanta is a materialistic city. That's why I said perhaps we are all using a different definition of monied...not all monied people are old-guard old money.

I am also a little surprised that an anchor store change at an exurban mall would kick off a 5-page discussion on a forum dedicated to urbanism. (And yes, I realize that Gwinnett is suburban, but the MoG is far enough out to be called exurban.)

LOL...well, what can we say. :D I have seen countless threads started all over the site that do not adhere strictly to the urban theme. There is even a growing thread elsewhere on Olive Gardens. The thread will start off as one thing and end with other tangents. Some threads go on and on and others die out unless resurrected. It's a matter of interest I suppose...I'm surprised that the thread discussing development south of I-20 has not gone on longer. Even though it's hardly the ideal location for an urban development discussion.

Belk isn't that bad. The one in Savannah at oglethorpe mall is cool. It just got renovated and expanded. It sells a lot of nice stuff like lacoste and coach and other semi-high end stuff. Is also has a great urban wear section. Plus the usual stuff like ralph lauren and such. And this is in Savannah so I know the one in MOG is going to be even better than that. But I'D probably never go because I live in Cumberland.

Hi Steven, glad to see you back. I always enjoy your posts so much!
Good to be back, Andrea. I like reading your posts too. :)

Settle down Stevie Pooh....
I'll be good :blush:

While not technically "urban," outlying malls like Mall of Georgia are part of Atlanta's urban fabric.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived