Snow Anyone?

Mith242

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really haven't gotten much snow the last few years. Southern Arkansas even had more snow than us here in northwest Arkansas last year. It's just been too dry. That's already been the case this year. We've had a number of snow events but almost none of it has hit the ground because it evaporated before it hit the ground. In January, February and even March it seems to not be quite so dry up here.

We really haven't gotten much snow the last few years. Southern Arkansas even had more snow than us here in northwest Arkansas last year. It's just been too dry. That's already been the case this year. We've had a number of snow events but almost none of it has hit the ground because it evaporated before it hit the ground. In January, February and even March it seems to not be quite so dry up here.

We tend to get snow quite a bit in Benton County, although a lot of it isn't measurable.

We tend to get snow quite a bit in Benton County, although a lot of it isn't measurable.

Yeah and you guys tend to get quite a bit more than those of us just to the south of you in Washington County. I think the Benton County cities average twice as much snow as the Washington County cities. Somewhat weird how it works that way and there's not that much distance between us.

Yeah and you guys tend to get quite a bit more than those of us just to the south of you in Washington County. I think the Benton County cities average twice as much snow as the Washington County cities. Somewhat weird how it works that way and there's not that much distance between us.

That's kind of weird.

We also tend to get a few ice storms a year up here.

I remember once a few years ago the weather man said we'd get snow but, only about a half inch. Anyway, we ended up getting more than 6 inches. Have you guys been through something similar?

Yeah I think that probably happens everywhere, meteorology can only do so much. Or they predict a lot and you barely get enough to cover the ground that seems more likely to happen.

I remember once a few years ago the weather man said we'd get snow but, only about a half inch. Anyway, we ended up getting more than 6 inches. Have you guys been through something similar?

Oh yeah.

I remember the Ice storm of 2000, no meteorologist had predicted it, and then on Christmas Day, the told everyone that Ice would be coming, and sure enough, we had the worst Ice Storm on record in NWA.

That was absolutely horrible.

I drove up with my dad to bring generators to my family in Arkansas after that storm.

I can remember driving up highway 41 north from New Boston,TX, and seeing only trees and power poles snapped in half like matchsticks.

My uncle lost many pecan trees on his property because, once the ice melted away, the soil was so moist that the trees that hadn't been damaged in the storm itself just fell right over.

That snow storm did as much damage as Katrina did to most of New Orleans' surrounding suburbs that didn't flood.

That was absolutely horrible.

I drove up with my dad to bring generators to my family in Arkansas after that storm.

I can remember driving up highway 41 north from New Boston,TX, and seeing only trees and power poles snapped in half like matchsticks.

My uncle lost many pecan trees on his property because, once the ice melted away, the soil was so moist that the trees that hadn't been damaged in the storm itself just fell right over.

That snow storm did as much damage as Katrina did to most of New Orleans' surrounding suburbs that didn't flood.

Okay I have a really odd question Nate. I've been trying to figure out where pronounciations of the word pecan lie. As far as I can tell I think most people in Arkansas pronounce it p'kahn. Although I'm pretty sure other areas in the south call is pee-can. Sorry to get off topic. Just one of those weird things I've wondered about and never brought up.

I pronounce it P'kahn. Most of southern Louisiana, especially New Orleans and Baton Rouge, seems to pronounce it like this as well.

I don't think I've ever heard any family members in SW Arkansas or in Little Rock pronounce it pee-can.

I pronounce it P'kahn. Most of southern Louisiana, especially New Orleans and Baton Rouge, seems to pronounce it like this as well.

I don't think I've ever heard any family members in SW Arkansas or in Little Rock pronounce it pee-can.

Yeah I don't think I've heard anyone in the state pronounce it that way. But I'm pretty sure parts of the south do. I'm just curious where the dividing line is. I guess I find dialects and such a little too interesting. :lol:

^I have heard people in Georgia and west Alabama pronounce it pee-can. I hear it more in rural Georgia than Atlanta though.

I wasn't sure but I thought it was pronounced more like that in the more southeast areas. Sometime I'll send you a PM, I saw something in one of your Louisiana posts that I thought was odd. I thought maybe it was a term not used up here.

Oh yeah.

I remember the Ice storm of 2000, no meteorologist had predicted it, and then on Christmas Day, the told everyone that Ice would be coming, and sure enough, we had the worst Ice Storm on record in NWA.

Oh hell, boy do I remember that ice storm. Texarkana was ravaged. We had freezing rain which, although left the streets clear, settled on tree limbs. All that night we heard nothing but falling tree limbs and trees. A tree fell on this old woman's house while she was eating dinner and killed her. We were without power for weeks because so many utility poles and transformers were destroyed. Nearly every store in town was out of food and water. People were leaving town to stay in hotels. Me and my family went and stayed with relatives in Amite, LA. It's a small town right outside of Baton Rouge. Right before we came home a second winter storm blasted the area and we had a half foot of snow. That was a winter and Christmas my city will never forget.

Oh hell, boy do I remember that ice storm. Texarkana was ravaged. We had freezing rain which, although left the streets clear, settled on tree limbs. All that night we heard nothing but falling tree limbs and trees. A tree fell on this old woman's house while she was eating dinner and killed her. We were without power for weeks because so many utility poles and transformers were destroyed. Nearly every store in town was out of food and water. People were leaving town to stay in hotels. Me and my family went and stayed with relatives in Amite, LA. It's a small town right outside of Baton Rouge. Right before we came home a second winter storm blasted the area and we had a half foot of snow. That was a winter and Christmas my city will never forget.

2/3 of Little Rock was living without electricity for 2-3 weeks. That was a terrible storm. I think half of the pines in town went down.

He got snow over night here in Fayetteville also. It was enough to cover vehicles and bushes and such. But it didn't really stick to the ground much. We had light snow all throughout the morning but as time went on what had accumulated slowly melted. I think it kept snowing till noon but after mid morning none of it stuck. I thought I had heard someone say roads were bad in Benton County, at least in the morning.

He got snow over night here in Fayetteville also. It was enough to cover vehicles and bushes and such. But it didn't really stick to the ground much. We had light snow all throughout the morning but as time went on what had accumulated slowly melted. I think it kept snowing till noon but after mid morning none of it stuck. I thought I had heard someone say roads were bad in Benton County, at least in the morning.

There were a few accidents on the Interstate, and just about all Bridges and Overpasses were frozen. I was suprised to see that much snow on the ground. I didn't even think it was going to snow.

There were a few accidents on the Interstate, and just about all Bridges and Overpasses were frozen. I was suprised to see that much snow on the ground. I didn't even think it was going to snow.

Yeah they were even downplaying it this mroning on the news before I went to work. I didn't even expect to be able to see anything.

Archived