Hampton Roads Technology News

rusthebuss

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article

This is some big news because it legitmizes HR's place in technological research. Boston isn't even connected to this network yet. Norfolk is also connected to private 10gigabit networks like that of Level 3.

National LambdaRail Site

Great news. And with NSU and ODU pushing research like never before the timing could never be better.

Great news. And with NSU and ODU pushing research like never before the timing could never be better.

I'm curious though cause NSU wasn't listed as one on the colleges getting this line. I had thought that with the Rise Center they would've been on the list. :huh:

I'm curious though cause NSU wasn't listed as one on the colleges getting this line. I had thought that with the Rise Center they would've been on the list. :huh:

No, recently though there was an article in the Pilot about some type of supernode they had developed which was also some sort of high speed connection. Russ may be more familiar with this type of technology. Here is the article via IB. The good thing though in all of this is that research and technology is pushing forward in our communities.

No, recently though there was an article in the Pilot about some type of supernode they had developed which was also some sort of high speed connection. Russ may be more familiar with this type of technology. Here is the article via IB. The good thing though in all of this is that research and technology is pushing forward in our communities.

It really does seem to have picked up lately. It seems like they're really pushing for a sort of HR research triangle.

It really does seem to have picked up lately. It seems like they're really pushing for a sort of HR research triangle.

This is what I have been waiting for. NSU and ODU need to team their research facalities up and explode with tech research. They actually work together alot more than people think too. Lets hope this will be a huge catalyst for the future of HR. :whistling:

I'm wondering when we will see Internet 2 in the private sector

This is what I have been waiting for. NSU and ODU need to team their research facalities up and explode with tech research. They actually work together alot more than people think too. Lets hope this will be a huge catalyst for the future of HR. :whistling:

I'm wondering when we will see Internet 2 in the private sector

Internet 2? Is that 10gigabit? Doesn't Level 3 have a 10gigabit network?

umm... that article said the world leader. that is just insane! we are a diamond in the rough and just need the right things to happen. seems like things are really beginning to turn in our favor now though.

Yeah I know but it never fails that we fall short....I really want this to turn us around. We have to be smart about this and use the full potential to make this region what it should be. This is the perfect time for us to become regional......it is very critical.

Yeah I know but it never fails that we fall short....I really want this to turn us around. We have to be smart about this and use the full potential to make this region what it should be. This is the perfect time for us to become regional......it is very critical.

Honestly Rus I really have the feeling that this is a turning point for our region. Even more so than all the residential highrises that have been/are being built. You can just feel the momentum behind this initiative and you can tell that these people are dedicated to making this happen. I believe that in 5-10 years the announcement of office developments downtown will far outnumber the residential developments, if we get this right.

Article

This is some big news because it legitmizes HR's place in technological research. Boston isn't even connected to this network yet. Norfolk is also connected to private 10gigabit networks like that of Level 3.

National LambdaRail Site

I checked that out, but heads up that Level3 doesn't come to Norfolk. They service Northern Virginia only (according to their sales rep).

Hampton Roads does not appear to have any tier1 service providers except maybe MCI.

The lambadarail appears to be internet2, so educational/research only.

I emailed the POC w/ NSU regarding the RISE center. I'm trying to find out exactly what it would offer. Are all of the service offerings at it going to be the standard Cox/Telcove offerings at the same prices as everywhere else? If so then it really doesn't live up to the hype. The press was banging on the fact that Telcove delivered a OC-48 to a hut on campus. There is fiber everywhere, it's just the cost of using it and the fact that the peering and reliability of the local carriers isn't up to that of what you would find in a bigger market.

If I get an answer I will let everyone know what I find.

I checked that out, but heads up that Level3 doesn't come to Norfolk. They service Northern Virginia only (according to their sales rep).

Hampton Roads does not appear to have any tier1 service providers except maybe MCI.

The lambadarail appears to be internet2, so educational/research only.

I emailed the POC w/ NSU regarding the RISE center. I'm trying to find out exactly what it would offer. Are all of the service offerings at it going to be the standard Cox/Telcove offerings at the same prices as everywhere else? If so then it really doesn't live up to the hype. The press was banging on the fact that Telcove delivered a OC-48 to a hut on campus. There is fiber everywhere, it's just the cost of using it and the fact that the peering and reliability of the local carriers isn't up to that of what you would find in a bigger market.

If I get an answer I will let everyone know what I find.

Nothing but a OC-96 card upgrade to move up or larger. The cards are expensive but the fiber is no where its potential so a card swap will do the trick later on in the future upgrades. PONs have yet to meet their potentials and this is a beginning step in the right direction! Be a little more positive please

I dug through Level 3's site a little more. Norfolk is listed for Metro Private Line and Metro Dark Fiber but not for Metro Ethernet or Metro Wavelength. The only comm jargon I understand is that Wavelength is their 2.5Gbps and 10Gbps service. Something comes to Norfolk, just not their high-speed service.

I dug through Level 3's site a little more. Norfolk is listed for Metro Private Line and Metro Dark Fiber but not for Metro Ethernet or Metro Wavelength. The only comm jargon I understand is that Wavelength is their 2.5Gbps and 10Gbps service. Something comes to Norfolk, just not their high-speed service.

Its a start and it will eventually come here. This so to say a foot in the door. As we grow they will need this type of speed when business expands and major research projects

Yea, I don't understand the Level3 stuff either. We are on the map, but there is no pop here. They probably resell someone else's service. This was from their sales person.

I talked to NSU. The 1st RISE building is going to be education only, the 2nd one will have leasable space in it. The RISE node that sits on campus serves some customers that are colocated inside of the tiny building (basically a pre-fab cellsite building). It appears NSU is reselling bandwidth they buy from Telcove, nothing more. I haven't talked to the technical guy (I guess) so the person I was talking to was still using marketing speak like "the supernode." I may have scared him when I asked if they were reselling the 45MBps they buy from telcove. I find it interesting that a state funded school is competing against a company like mine that sells colocation services. They were all about reselling me service.. as in, me pay telcove to haul ptp from their school to my office, then I'd pay telcove $$ for the point to point, then pay them so they could pay telcove. Just bizzare.

We actually had providers pull out of Hampton Roads because it is a weak market. CBN.org and Trader used to use UUNET I believe, and UUNET dropped HR once one of them left. I believe CBN was on Digex for a while, running it thru their little side company called Compass.net where they funnel all of the non-profit money into the for-profit (the compass thing is run by business elites from the non-profit, and the non-profit hires compass to do all sorts of IT work). I tipped off Digex that CBN.org may be purchasing service from them as a non-profit, but it's running to the for-profit where they are reselling it. I'm a nice guy like that.

We will see.

Archived