Hampton Roads Technology News

rusthebuss

Well this is a start for change. We have to get more technology based companies here or at least start here. I'm tired of this area being called a "brain dead" region. I think that our leaders are to blame for this and also having 7 cities doesn't really help. We have piss poor marketing startegy and people that aren't even from here know about the bickering between cities so I wonder how businesses see us. Oh well, I just hope this will change

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USDTV plans to enter Hampton Roads as first East Coast market

U.S. Digital Television (USDTV) announced last week its selection of Hampton Roads as its first East Coast market......full story

This is great news! We need some more competition in this area to break the Cox monopoly and hopefully bring down some of these prices. :)

USDTV plans to enter Hampton Roads as first East Coast market

U.S. Digital Television (USDTV) announced last week its selection of Hampton Roads as its first East Coast market......full story

This is great news! We need some more competition in this area to break the Cox monopoly and hopefully bring down some of these prices. :)

Well Verizon is bringing Cable TV too! The cable companies are trying to stop them from doing it and Verizon already has it in Herndon,Va., Keller Texas, and around Tampa!

Portsmouth and Suffolk to share modeling/simulation hub

Officials at Old Dominion University are expected to announce today that they plan to build a new home for the Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center on the Portsmouth-Suffolk line.....

This is excellent news for both cities. :)

I'm wondering how far we will really get with the modeling and simulation centers here. Will this bring in those white collar jobs? Will it bring national attention to this area to help bring in more white collar jobs? I guess only time will tell on this. :unsure:

At first I was a little skeptical of the progress we could make in simulation etc.... but wow. Lately it's just been one after another. We are definitely getting into a position to give Orlando a run for its money. Additionally, since simulators have medicinal uses... I wonder what that will do for the biotech industry around here? So much money is tied in that industry... they should let off a few $billion in this region :P

At first I was a little skeptical of the progress we could make in simulation etc.... but wow. Lately it's just been one after another. We are definitely getting into a position to give Orlando a run for its money. Additionally, since simulators have medicinal uses... I wonder what that will do for the biotech industry around here? So much money is tied in that industry... they should let off a few $billion in this region :P

I hope that you are right about that. I know Norfolk has been trying to push more biotechnology in the city but haven't really heard too much about it anywhere else in the region. Lets hope Vabeach and others start jumping on that too!

ACVMASC0113.jpg

Sim Center to make region a modeling hub

The relocation of the Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center to a new office park on the Portsmouth-Suffolk line will benefit more cities and help make Hampton Roads as well known for modeling and simulation as Silicon Valley is for computer chips, officials believe.........

ACVMASC0113.jpg

Sim Center to make region a modeling hub

The relocation of the Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center to a new office park on the Portsmouth-Suffolk line will benefit more cities and help make Hampton Roads as well known for modeling and simulation as Silicon Valley is for computer chips, officials believe.........

This could be an amazing development, especially if it goes beyond military applications. Imagine creating virtual interfaces for working in dangerous or inaccessible environments, such as mines, foundries, manufacturing centers or the human brain. I think that this, along with nano technology, robotics, bio-tech and entertainment are our best way out of the syndrome of exporting labor.

• 2 weeks later...

State support could help local tech market flourish

"After years of watching over the development of small local tech firms, the Hampton Roads Technology Incubator wants to do some growing of its own. "

I won't hold my breath for state support. They have failed us in the past and I don't see anything different. He he sounds doubtful in the statements. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

This is great news for our area! :thumbsup:

TCC to teach modeling and simulation

With the rapid growth of modeling and simulation in Hampton Roads, Tidewater Community College plans to begin offering a two-year associate degree program in the computer specialty this fall.

The college will hire a full-time faculty member to oversee the program. Classes will be offered in Virginia Beach and Portsmouth. An introductory class will be offered this spring.

Summers said TCC is in talks with Old Dominion about the four-year college offering a bachelor

If this takes off it could go big. The newspaper states there are many uses for this technology outside of the military and ODU was the first in the nation to offer a graduate degree. If this goes over big Hampton Roads could get lots of exposure as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Jefferson Lab Set for Expansion

U.S. Secretary of Energy Samuel Bodman traveled to the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility in Newport News on Wednesday to announce plans for a $300 million upgrade to the lab's Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility.

The Energy Department is asking Congress to set aside $7 million in the budget for fiscal year 2007, which starts Oct. 1, for initial engineering and construction work.

The upgrade would double the power of the facility's beam, allowing scientists to identify the particles that make up the nucleus of an atom. It would be the only facility in the world able to do so, Bodman said, and would ensure positive financing for the lab for at least the next 10 years.

Everyday it seems that HR is moving further away from its blue-collar shipbuilding roots and moving towards emerging technology sectors.

We seem to be doing well also with modeling and simulation. They have added the first course of its kind at ODU and employers seem really for people who are proficient in Java. It would be great if we could find a niche with this new and exciting technology.

Jefferson Lab Set for Expansion

Everyday it seems that HR is moving further away from its blue-collar shipbuilding roots and moving towards emerging technology sectors.

My father used to work at JLab and this expansion is pretty huge. It's not one of those things that can just contract with budget cuts. Why? Well not only is it work that is important for the physics community at large, but the upgrades have a lot to do with defense research they're doing with lasers and the continuous electron beam. This thing is here to stay.

You'd be amazed at how internationally renown Jlab is for its work and facilities. I've read weblogs from physicists from South Africa who were stoked to be coming to Newport News. My heart swelled when I read that.

• 2 months later...

This is a great development, but I sense that there is already too much of a mindset to separate from the entertainment and recreational side of the industry through this concept of "serious gaming." The ODU folks might need to consider that the most creative minds in this field may not be actively trying to kill people or to save lives. Recruitment and development of the best programmers might be more successful if artistic, musical and gaming activities were an equally robust part of this effort. I think that such a crossover would be healthy, and would take advantage of a lot of previous and on-going modeling and simulation work.

• 1 month later...

Modeling and simulation forum to be held in Hampton :yahoo:

Hampton Roads has scored a coup that underlines its growing influence as a center for defense-based modeling and simulation, business and military officials said Wednesday.

The Department of Defense has picked the region for its 2007 conference on modeling and simulation, Lt. Gen. Bob Wood, deputy commander of Joint Forces Command, told a group of business leaders meeting at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

The five-day conference, scheduled for May, will be at the Hampton Roads Convention Center in Hampton.

It is expected to draw hundreds of participants representing defense contractors, the military services and government officials nationwide and will showcase cutting-edge technology that is transforming the way the military trains and fights.

This is pretty major news. I'm amazed at how fast our area is progressing in this field.

This marks the first time the conference has been held in Hampton Roads. In the past, Orlando, Fla., a leader in the modeling and simulation sector, has been a preferred site.

"It's an affirmation that we are emerging as an important market in modeling and simulation," said Jack Hornbeck, president of the Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce

Archived