New Dubai World Trade Centre

mcheiss

Dubai has given the nod for an upgrade on the current World Trade Center Building. The plan, which envisages the redevelopment and enhancement of the present complex over the next seven to ten years, will include a state-of-the-art convention centre, office and residential towers, hotels and hotel apartments and shopping facilities. The Towers should be around 40 stories.

Also under way is a project to boost the current exhibition capacity by 30 per cent within one year to meet the surging demand for space with most exhibitions recording phenomenal growth in size.

At present DWTC has over 60,000 square metres of exhibition space, including more than 23,000 square metres of space under its management at the Airport Expo Dubai. The city has many other venues catering for events both large and small. DWTC's current convention centre

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it's a very interesting looking building. I have to hand it to them, it's just not the fact of what they're building it's the styles and how they're doing it. The city will certainly have a very unique look to it.

It will just be amazing.

You'll literally be able to look all around you and see buildings of your wildest fascination everywhere.

Yeah, the city will rival New York City, Hong Kong, and Tokyo in a 10 years.

The only thing that I think will be missing is the history. If you look at New York or Chicago, there is amazing history in the skylines. Chicago has the worlds first skyscraper, New York has the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building, etc..

But physically Dubai is definately going to be up there with these cities in terms of skylines.

Here is what I think is amazing.

The three cities you listed are some of the largest cities and metropolitan areas in the world, and Duba has less people than Phoenix! And It has a metro area a little larger than New Orleans! I know that it is the culture and trade center of the UAE, but the population factor still amazes me.

The only thing that I think will be missing is the history. If you look at New York or Chicago, there is amazing history in the skylines. Chicago has the worlds first skyscraper, New York has the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building, etc..

But physically Dubai is definately going to be up there with these cities in terms of skylines.

Here is what I think is amazing.

The three cities you listed are some of the largest cities and metropolitan areas in the world, and Duba has less people than Phoenix! And It has a metro area a little larger than New Orleans! I know that it is the culture and trade center of the UAE, but the population factor still amazes me.

It lacks history now but perhaps 50 years from now people will instantly of Dubai as the place to go see early 21st century architecture.

• 4 weeks later...

DWTC begins construction of new exhibition hall

Under the direction of His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Minister for Finance and Industry, Deputy Ruler of Dubai and Chairman of the Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC), DWTC has begun the initial phases of construction of a new exhibition hall for the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre (DICEC).

Construction of the hall will begin in February 2006 and will take eight months to complete. The project will add 15,000 square metres of exhibition space to the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre (DICEC), thus increasing the available space by 30 percent.

Dubai's Conference and Exhibition sector is undergoing massive growth and, as a result, demand for space is outstripping supply significantly. In 2005, shows at the DICEC grew in terms of exhibition space at levels ranging from 10 percent through to 58 percent, and we are looking to ensure that the facilities are available to support such growth rates and enable organisers to continue to provide the world class standard of events that visitors have come to expect.

In recent years there has been a surge in demand for exhibition space as Dubai's MICE (meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions) industry expands in both scope and scale. DWTC has played a major role in supporting the growth and development of this important industry through the provision of high level facilities, and sees the expansion as an important step in securing the long-term growth of the sector.

'The second stage will allow for the exciting demands of the future, through the construction of Dubai Exhibition City, part of the Jebel Ali Airport City, which will offer a staggering 120,000 sqm of exhibition space by the year 2009.'

The new hall will enable further growth of the major events held at DICEC, such as GITEX, Gulfood, Arab Health, Middle East International Motor Show, Arabian Travel Market and Big 5.

These events have already recorded staggering growth rates in 2005. GITEX 2005, for example, attracted 1163 exhibitors, an increase of 12 percent over the previous year; Gulfood 2005 saw an increase of 58 percent in the number of exhibitors over the previous event; while Big Five welcomed 2000 exhibitors, an increase of 25%.

The construction of the exhibition hall is the first phase of a longer-term plan involving a major redevelopment and enhancement of the present DWTC complex to include a state-of-the-art convention centre, office and residential towers, hotels and hotel apartments and shopping facilities over a period of seven to 10 years. The cost of the project will be AED 16 billion

Archived