The Movie Industry in Northwest Arkansas

I guess there's not really a large aspect to this but I heard mention of another movie filmed in Eureka Springs and thought maybe I should have a topic based on this. Maybe I'll eventually get one over in the general Arkansas forum if there's interest. I know a while back the movie Chrystal (sp?) was filmed in Eureka Springs. I haven't checked but I think it's been out long enough to be on dvd. There's apparently another movie you'll be able to see soon on dvd filmed in Eureka Springs. Apparently it was a made for tv movie but postproduction ran long and it came out too late so now it's going to dvd. It's called Mr Christmas, I don't think there were any big stars in it. Although some locals got to play some bit parts in it. Just interesting to hear that Eureka Springs seems to be building up a bit of a movie status. It would be great if there might be another one to be filmed there in the near future.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about that.

Is It called Mr. Christmas?

Yeah, can't say I know a whole lot about it. Seems like the person who wrote it or what it's based on is someone from Arkansas. Although I think they were actually from southern Arkansas. I think it is based in the early 40's.

Yeah, can't say I know a whole lot about it. Seems like the person who wrote it or what it's based on is someone from Arkansas. Although I think they were actually from southern Arkansas. I think it is based in the early 40's.

I saw a movie poster for it not too long ago and it looked like an old fashion movie in the 40's or so.

Wasn't their another film filmed in Eureka Springs with Billy Bob Thorton not too long ago.

I saw a movie poster for it not too long ago and it looked like an old fashion movie in the 40's or so.

Wasn't their another film filmed in Eureka Springs with Billy Bob Thorton not too long ago.

Yeah that was called Chrystal. Maybe I need to make the titles like this Chrystal so I don't confuse everyone with names here. Yeah I've been meaning to get it sometime. I had heard it wasn't a very positive movie or something so I put it off and never got around to it. But it would still be great to see it just to recognize areas. Even if I didn't like the storyline very much.

Yeah that was called Chrystal. Maybe I need to make the titles like this Chrystal so I don't confuse everyone with names here. Yeah I've been meaning to get it sometime. I had heard it wasn't a very positive movie or something so I put it off and never got around to it. But it would still be great to see it just to recognize areas. Even if I didn't like the storyline very much.

I saw some of the buildings in the Christmas Movie on and they reminded me quite a bit of Eureka springs.

I saw some of the buildings in the Christmas Movie on and they reminded me quite a bit of Eureka springs.

Now you know why. :D I really should get both of those movies this weekend. I'm not positive that Mr Christmas is out just yet but should be shortly.

Isn't he from Arkansas as well?

Yeah, I don't think he lives here anymore but he still has ties here. Obviously of he probably wouldn't have gotten Chrystal filmed here in Arkansas. I can't recall what city he's originally from. I'll try to look that up. Especially since I don't know if many people from the rest of the Arkansas forum come over here to our subforum. Or ones that might know that answer.

That was fast, Hot Springs. :D

Let's see...

Who else came from Arkansas?

I don't recall the name but there's an actress from North Little Rock. Ah, that was quick to look up too, Joey Lauren Adams. I think it was North Little Rock but it could be Little Rock. And there's also Mary Steenburgen. Not sure if she's been in any movies recently. She's apparently originally from Newport.

I don't recall the name but there's an actress from North Little Rock. Ah, that was quick to look up too, Joey Lauren Adams. I think it was North Little Rock but it could be Little Rock. And there's also Mary Steenburgen. Not sure if she's been in any movies recently. She's apparently originally from Newport.

Mary Steenburgen was the mother in Elf. She's in a movie or two a year. She and Ted Danson have a condo in the Arkansas Capital Commerce Center near the River Market.

Joey Lauren Adams is from NLR. You'll see her our on occasion. She's hotness, even in jeans and a flannel shirt.

Joey Lauren Adams and Billy Bob Thornton are making a movie together in Arkansas somewhere.

I've heard the name Mary Steenburgen..Not sure where from.

I can really see Eureka Springs becoming a regional film hub. I can see movies, film festivals and such going on there.

Mary Steenburgen was the mother in Elf. She's in a movie or two a year. She and Ted Danson have a condo in the Arkansas Capital Commerce Center near the River Market.

Joey Lauren Adams is from NLR. You'll see her our on occasion. She's hotness, even in jeans and a flannel shirt.

Joey Lauren Adams and Billy Bob Thornton are making a movie together in Arkansas somewhere.

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess I have just been missing the movies that mary Steenburgen has been in for a while. I also had no idea they had a place near the River Market. From what little I've heard it sounds like Joey Lauren Adams has been keeping in touch with her Arkansas roots. That's great to hear, it would be nice to see more of a film industry pick up anywhere here in Arkansas. Did Arkansas ever make more incentives for companies to film here? Seems like I had heard something about that a while back.

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess I have just been missing the movies that mary Steenburgen has been in for a while. I also had no idea they had a place near the River Market. From what little I've heard it sounds like Joey Lauren Adams has been keeping in touch with her Arkansas roots. That's great to hear, it would be nice to see more of a film industry pick up anywhere here in Arkansas. Did Arkansas ever make more incentives for companies to film here? Seems like I had heard something about that a while back.

I'm not sure. Little Rock is used a lot when a scene requiring filming the Capitol is used because it is a scale replica of the national Capitol. Under Siege was filmed here because of that.

There was a civil war miniseries called the North and the South that was filmed partially in Rogers, BTW.

I'm not sure. Little Rock is used a lot when a scene requiring filming the Capitol is used because it is a scale replica of the national Capitol. Under Siege was filmed here because of that.

There was a civil war miniseries called the North and the South that was filmed partially in Rogers, BTW.

Yeah the Capitol was used a lot before CG became more widely used. Seems like I've heard several Civil War shows have been filmed in Arkansas. Or at least parts of them. I can't recall the name but there was one that was filmed in several different locations throughout the state.

Well I'm still looking from Chrystal. I haven't had any luck so far finding it. I'll have to try some more tomorrow morning when I can try to avoid some of the Christmas shoppers I ran into tonight. I saw a review by one person who was from Arkansas who thought they did a good job with the accents. I'll add more whenever I'm able to buy and watch the movie.

Well guess I'll have to wait a while to see Chrystal, I've had absolutely no luck finding it anywhere. I know it's a rather obscure but you'd think they'd everyone would make a better effort to carry it just because it was filmed locally and has an Arkansas actor in it. Guess I'll probably just have to order off the internet because no place acted like they were expecting to order in anymore copies anytime soon. The worst part is all the trouble I had to go to, weekend Christmas shopping. Joyce St was just about a parking lot, some of the places I went to literally took me about 15-20 minutes to park and then the same to get back out. But I had really set myself to watch the movie this weekend so I kept looking because I just knew someone had to have it around here.

Well I didn't end up totally empty handed. Although I've seen it a number of times I didn't actually own Sling Blade. They have a director's cut out now so I bought it so at least I did end up with an Arkansas movie with Billy Bob Thornton.

I've never heard of Sling Blade, sounds interesting.

Really? It's the movie that really helped Billy Bob Thronton get noticed. I'm trying to think where it was filmed at. Hope, Benton? I'm pretty usre it's somewhere on the I-30 corridor.

Really, that's quite fascinating.

Any other films that you know of filmed in this area or Arkansas for that matter?

Archived