The Movie Industry in Northwest Arkansas

Really, that's quite fascinating.

Any other films that you know of filmed in this area or Arkansas for that matter?

I'm sure one of the other forumers would know more about the rest of the state. I think Sling Blade is probably the biggest one. A lot of movies would use shots from the Capitol before CG came around. because our Capitol is slightly scaled down version of the nation's Capitol. I do know the old mill in North Little Rock was also used. I think most movies that have ties to Arkansas were only partially shot here.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure one of the other forumers would know more about the rest of the state. I think Sling Blade is probably the biggest one. A lot of movies would use shots from the Capitol before CG came around. because our Capitol is slightly scaled down version of the nation's Capitol. I do know the old mill in North Little Rock was also used. I think most movies that have ties to Arkansas were only partially shot here.

Yeah, I remember hearing about the capital being used in films to portray the US Capital because they look so similar.

Matt, now I can tell you that Sling Blade was filmed in Benton. You really should check it out if you haven't seen it before. Like I said I'm pretty sure that was the movie that got Billy Bob Thornton noticed.

I'll have to check it out. I'm not sure where to buy it though.

Did you get your copy at Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart?

I'll have to check it out. I'm not sure where to buy it though.

Did you get your copy at Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart?

I got mine at Best Buy, although I would imagine most places would have it. Then again I thought the same thing about Chrystal and was disappointed in that. There's a director's cut out with some special features and such. Haven't watch any of the special features yet, but I was wondering if there was much talking about the film being filmed here in Arkansas.

The name of the Christmas movie filmed in Eureka Springs is Mr. Christmas, and it's suppose to be on AETN tonight.

Really? Thanks for the info Matt. Now I can see whether I like it enough to buy. I'm trying to support our local film industry by buying all the movies made here. I'm still disappointed no one has 'Chrystal' around here. Way to support a local movie.

Well it was pretty obvious it was a tv movie. Luckily I wasn't expecting too much. It was okay, wish they would have shown downtown Eureka Springs a little more. They overplayed the old papers but it was a nice touch to see the old Arkansas Gazette 's. I also happened to notice Don Elkins playing a part. He's the main anchor on KNWA. A few of the extras just didn't quite look like they were from the period. I think I also noticed a clock that didn't look particularly old either. But it was an okay movie, as long as you aren't expecting a whole lot. :D

Well it was pretty obvious it was a tv movie. Luckily I wasn't expecting too much. It was okay, wish they would have shown downtown Eureka Springs a little more. They overplayed the old papers but it was a nice touch to see the old Arkansas Gazette 's. I also happened to notice Don Elkins playing a part. He's the main anchor on KNWA. A few of the extras just didn't quite look like they were from the period. I think I also noticed a clock that didn't look particularly old either. But it was an okay movie, as long as you aren't expecting a whole lot. :D

Ha Ha.

Could you see current cars and stuff in the movie?

Ha Ha.

Could you see current cars and stuff in the movie?

No it wasn't anywhere that bad. The clock was the big thing and it was just in the background. Some of the extras in the movie just didn't seem to have the 'look' of that time period in my opinion. It wasn't anything obvious or anything. Things like haircuts that I'm just not quite sure if they were in style during that time period. But we are talking about a made for tv movie. I take it you didn't see it Matt? It was nice to see a little bit of Eureka Springs, although most of the time it was at night. I also got a kick out of seeing Don Elkins in the movie too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well while this site was down it gave me time to watch 'Chrystal'. I finally managed to get a used copy that hastings had been using for rental. First of all don't watch it like me and expect to see anything recognizable from Eureka Springs. They apparently filmed it outside of the city. While it does look like the Ozarks in some ways I would have never guessed it was filmed anywhere near Eureka Springs. Also don't necessarily expect or hope that the movie will portray the state or the Ozarks in a very positive light either. Several years ago it would have bothered me and I might wonder if the movie would only help fuel a negative image for the state and area. While Billy Bon Thornton is obviously the big name in the movie I was susprised just how many people I recognized. I recognized the character 'Snake' from the Reverand on the HBO show Deadwood. Apparently he wrote and directed this movie. He also apparently is married to Lisa Blount who plays the main female lead. I had read some reviews on the movie, a number of people said it was rather slow. I guess it didn't seem that slow to me, but maybe I was expecting it. It is a bit of an odd story with some dark undercurrents through the movie. Some of the sexual content was a bit much for me (maybe I'm just a prude :lol: ). I really like the fact that they decided to use a little traditional music from the Ozarks. Traditional music from the Ozarks is similar to the Appalachians. But the later tends to dominate that scene. If you like the music in 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' you'll probably like the music here too. Although there is some southern rock mixed in as well. An interesting bit of info, Lisa Blount really does sing 'Rockin' Chair'. It's not someone else singing the vocals. I'd recommend the movie, even if it is a bit odd and dark and it doesn't necessarily show the area like I was hoping.

^That's a shame the movie didn't portray the Ozark lifestyle up here.

Well I guess it does, but it just shows more of the white trash element. Not exactly not what you'd want to show off to impress anyone with the Ozarks. :D That reminds me I have to check a certain scene out, there's a great quote in there.

Here's a quote in the movie that I really liked. One character mentions he can't wait to get back to 'America' after what he's seeing there. Then there's the response "Barry, you can't preach the virtue of diversity and then put restrictions on what that is". I guess that helps sum up some of my views about the movie. When I was younger I wouldn't have like the aspect that they portray everyone as mainly 'white trash'. But like it or not there is that element here in the Ozarks. Instead of looking down on them and seeing it negatively I can better appreciate that there are people who are different and have some unique aspects to them.

Anyway back to some more info about the movie I was very happy to see that the movie also has DTS, something I certainly wasn't expecting from such a small movie like this. I bought a DTS amp a little over a year ago and have been very happy to get whatever movies I can on DTS instead of Dolby 5.1. Nothing wrong with Dolby 5.1 but I personally think DTS is better. :D

There apparently isn't a soundtrack to the movie which is a shame. I think some people would like to have it. It wouldn't be the big hit 'O Brother Where Art Thou?'s soundtrack would be but I think it could appeal to some of the same people. Although as I said before it's not all traditional folk music. I wish they had been able to work in a little more of the folk music into the movie. I also wish there was more being done with traditional music here in the Ozarks. I do know there's the Ozark Folk Center over in Mountain View. Which I still need to go over and visit sometime. Just wish it was a bit closer. But I wish we could do more like some of the Appalachian states have done. Although because they are similar the Ozarks often get overshadowed in this aspect. There's not a lot of traditional folk music from the Ozarks out there, do a search and you'll see what I mean. I admit I didn't always appreciate the music as much as I do now. But I guess I've become more open minded and I have taken more of an interest since of the role it's played here in the Ozarks.

What would you suggest Mith?

The Ozark Folk Center be moved to Fayetteville. :lol:

I've got to admit that Folk music has no appeal to me, but I do support it since it's a part of the Arkansas Culture.

No but I just think that more could be done. I just get the impression that the Appalachian states do more to support their traditional music. I'd like them to also have something over in Huntsville. Close to NWA and it would also give Madison County something. It is a part of our metro now. I admit folk music didn't really do much for me for a long time either. But I've become very open minded to all different types of music now.

I think the movie "Where The Heart Is" would do more for advertising NWA than anything made in Arkansas as it shines a positive light on Wal-Mart and since the only reason anyone would recognize the name Bentonville is because of Wal-Mart...

But then it's not like the only reason anyone recognizes New York City is just because Donald Trump lives there.

I guess I wasn't really expecting 'Chystal' to advertise NWA. But I guess when a movie is filmed in your area you might hope that it might show a positive side. Don't get me wrong, it's different but I still suggest watching it 'Chrystal' at least once. I guess the only thing I was mainly disappointed in was that since Euerka Springs was always mentioned as the location I was expecting it to be filmed inside the town. But it looks like it was filmed somewhere in the countryside of Carroll County.

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't really pertaining to northwest Arkansas but since this is the only movie related topic at the moment I thought I'd post it here for now. Joey Lauren Adams movie that was filmed in central Arkansas will premier at Sundance. Here's an article from Arkansas Business.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/news/artic...09%7D&aid=42921

• 1 month later...

A Rogers entrepreneur wants to make a documentary film about gangs in Northwest Arkansas! Gangs? Where? Good Lord now I have to worry about being gunned down in a drive-by whenever I walk out my front door! :blink:

Here's the Link!

I didn't think there was much of a gang problem up there. It's nice they're trying to do something about it, although I wonder if making a film about it is the best way to do it. I just hope it doesn't backfire and make people think this is a bad area to live.

Archived