The Grocery Store Market in Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

Welcome to the forum (and the area as well). No I haven't really heard too much news about any of those organic chains moving into this area. I'm guessing you're referring to locations in Benton County. I realize it's a bit of a drive but there's Ozark Natural Foods in the Evelyn Hills shopping center here in Fayetteville. Really it's the closest I think you're going to find to anything like the chains you mentioned. For some reason few grocery chains have been interested in NWA, organic or even just regular chains.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this area is ripe for a Sprouts or Trader Joes type place. Plus in regards to the fast food chain chaos, It's time to get some local joints going up here in Rogers similar to Fayetteville using some more local produce and fresher foods. Need better options up here. Oh and I don't really need to reply to what is wrong with Wal-Mart....hehehe

Whole Foods is over-priced I agree. Sprouts was way cheaper when I had one nearby. Hopefully with people becoming more interested in where their foods and products come from prices will normalize on the fresh front. Although currently there is no end in sight on any food front with our nice little recession. (I will be heading to the Fayetteville Farmers Market once more produce starts heading in) Hey gdbaker...go troll somewhere else...I'm simply here getting the low-down on the local area...sorry didn't need to step on your Wal-Mart stock investing toes:) And you might want to read sentence number 3 in this paragraph.

Whole Foods is over-priced I agree. Sprouts was way cheaper when I had one nearby. Hopefully with people becoming more interested in where their foods and products come from prices will normalize on the fresh front. Although currently there is no end in sight on any food front with our nice little recession. (I will be heading to the Fayetteville Farmers Market once more produce starts heading in) Hey gdbaker...go troll somewhere else...I'm simply here getting the low-down on the local area...sorry didn't need to step on your Wal-Mart stock investing toes:) And you might want to read sentence number 3 in this paragraph.

Guys, calm down a bit. It doesn't really matter who likes/does not like Wal-Mart, and no one without a time machine is capable of saying what things would be like without Wal-Mart, so determining whether something is good or bad by that mentality is questionable at best. Regardless, this little spat isn't helping anything.

As for groceries in the area, it's pretty much a Wal-Mart vs. Harps market around here, and both are pretty well established, so it's hard for new stores to feel it's worth attempting to break in. I'm hoping as the area grows more variety will develop. Harp's isn't a bad chain as far as traditional grocery stores go, they're pretty nice stores. Schnucks is probably my favorite grocery chain, but they don't have locations this far southwest, and I'm pretty satisfied with Harps, but I've never been too concerned with the organic/whole foods style market, so I can't quite emphathize, I suppose.

Guys, calm down a bit. It doesn't really matter who likes/does not like Wal-Mart, and no one without a time machine is capable of saying what things would be like without Wal-Mart, so determining whether something is good or bad by that mentality is questionable at best. Regardless, this little spat isn't helping anything.

As for groceries in the area, it's pretty much a Wal-Mart vs. Harps market around here, and both are pretty well established, so it's hard for new stores to feel it's worth attempting to break in. I'm hoping as the area grows more variety will develop. Harp's isn't a bad chain as far as traditional grocery stores go, they're pretty nice stores. Schnucks is probably my favorite grocery chain, but they don't have locations this far southwest, and I'm pretty satisfied with Harps, but I've never been too concerned with the organic/whole foods style market, so I can't quite emphathize, I suppose.

I imagine this area would have to grow a lot more before it gets something like Whole Foods- that place is rather unique. I don't think they carry any major brands like you find at WM, Harp's, Kroger, etc. Seems like they would need a large population because of the niche market and high prices. I still have some salsa I bought at Whole Foods- good stuff.

Never heard of Schnucks. I guess it is interesting that the grocery business is pretty much dominated by two local companies.

Anyway sorry that we've gotten this topic a bit off topic. But things have been pretty dead lately. We do have a topic somewhere dealing with grocery stores. I can look for it and maybe move some of these posts if it bothers anyone.

Here is the Grocery Topic! I guess Rod can move the posts over here when he gets a chance. Speaking of Whole Foods, I have never been to one and had no idea there were even any in our region. I found out that there is one even in Tulsa and its quite close to my neighborhood. It is also the closest to the Fayetteville area.

Whole Foods Locations

I agree mzweig, Schnuck's is great. I think the reason I've always liked them is they tend to have an extremely large "market" (deli/seafood/fresh produce) section of the store that I've not quite found at other stores. Also, their stores that include a liquor section tend to have decent brands of dinner-acceptable wine. That's minor compared to the deli though, I've never found another grocery chain that has so many deli options.

Schuck's is fairly local to St. Louis I believe. My travels seem to indicate that most area's develop into a two retailer situation when it comes to groceries. It just seems to be the norm where 2 major players take up the lion's share with several others hanging around catering to specific market segments.

Here is the Grocery Topic! I guess Rod can move the posts over here when he gets a chance. Speaking of Whole Foods, I have never been to one and had no idea there were even any in our region. I found out that there is one even in Tulsa and its quite close to my neighborhood. It is also the closest to the Fayetteville area.

Whole Foods Locations

Maybe you should. I've been all over this country and with the exception of Military commissarys (base grocery stores), no other grocery store can beat the prices that Walmart has. This isn't a guess, it is a fact and has been proven. Everywhere they build a Walmart, it always generates more commerce around it. You all can hate Walmart all you want. But get your facts straight before bashing them.

There's no point in being negative towards OnDickson, as he only said one sentence and we don't know what information he was backing it up with. Since we all now know that you like Wal-mart and don't seem to be acknowledging any valid points against it, it would be helpful for you to also look into the information that people not all that keen on wal-mart might be considering, such as the effect Wal-mart has on small businesses and average hourly wages in areas they move in to. It's hardly a simple "Wal-Mart is good" situation, as there are more complex economics behind it than that, and the existing business owners and their employees might feel differently about Wal-Mart than you do as a consumer. At any rate, this would be a good/educational debate for a Coffee House thread, but is pretty much going in small petty circles here.

Couple of things....

Thx Mith for redirecting to a Grocery topic...didn't mean to get the other thread off track ...interested in both actually.

and my last comment to gdabker(altho I'm sure he will retort)

You already stated that you are not interested in this subject matter. So why come back into this new thread and replay your tunnel vision:)

And finally I will agree to disagree about W-M.

Now back to the subject. Have never tried Harps....is it similar to a Kroger/Albertsons?? I think we are getting one up here on New Hope at some point, in the Promenade Center.

But once I can make it over to ONF...and if it rawks....I will make the trek.

Couple of things....

Now back to the subject. Have never tried Harps....is it similar to a Kroger/Albertsons?? I think we are getting one up here on New Hope at some point, in the Promenade Center.

But once I can make it over to ONF...and if it rawks....I will make the trek.

Maybe you should. I've been all over this country and with the exception of Military commissarys (base grocery stores), no other grocery store can beat the prices that Walmart has. This isn't a guess, it is a fact and has been proven. Everywhere they build a Walmart, it always generates more commerce around it. You all can hate Walmart all you want. But get your facts straight before bashing them.

Honestly, I'm going to shop where the best prices are. If it's Harps, then fine, I will shop there, but I will continue to shop where I will save the most money. As for other store owners, sorry this is America, Capitalism at it's best. Offer me the best price and I will shop in your store. I am not easily swayed by others saying "Don't shop there, they're bad (Wal-mart or whoever)". But, it does seem to me that with gas and food prices going sky high, where are most people shopping today? It's Walmart, sorry, but they have the lowest price and a lot of selection. I've been in a Harps recently to buy something that Walmart didn't have (and yes, they run out of things) and it was like a graveyard there (middle of the day on a weekend). While the parking lot at the Walmart down the street was full of cars (not to mention their 3 cents off a gallon of gas or 5 cents at Sam's club). So if your budget can afford the high prices and you really hate Walmart, then shop there, I don't care. I will be the first to join you if they have the lowest price. It's all a matter of stretching your dollar as far as it goes and nothing to do with politics. This is especially important if you have a family to support.

Thanks for missing the point entirely once again. I'll say it again because the first 2 times didn't get through to you: I didn't bash WalMart. Nor do I hate WalMart. My only response was to your ridiculous notion that this area would be nothing without WalMart--I just happen to strongly disagree.

As far as WalMart being good or bad, I see it both ways. We've certainly enjoyed more than our share of the good here in Northwest Arkansas. And no disputing the fact that WalMart typically offers the lowest prices. But those low prices do come at a cost. Yes, I shop at WalMart. But I prefer to support locally owned and independent businesses whenever I can.

If you're going to continue to call me out for bashing WalMart in the future, please at least provide a relevant quote of mine to which you are responding. OK thanks.

Archived