North Carolina Relocation Thread

angeleyes

Yeah, it's only their second full year I believe. As I understand, they've applied to be provisionally accredited from the ABA. It's not identified on their website, but a lot of people knew Charleston would get theirs before it was published. So......just curious as to what type of reputation Elon University has up in that area as that often dictates how fast a place is accredited.*

* The pigs in Georgia won't let me sit for the bar exam if I don't graduated from an accredited school. Neither will NC as I understand it.

Edited by Pillsbury

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been born and raised 1 mile from the school and personally knowing some graduates, I know that the growth there is on steroids. Campus is probably double the size it was 15 years ago. It's also become a much, much more competitive school rivaling admission sta. It's ranked #3 among 127 Southern master's-level universities in the U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges" guide. http://www.elon.edu/e-web/news/rankings/ provides more information on their accolades and http://www.elon.edu/e-web/admissions/snapshot.xhtml gives a profile of this year's freshman class. Pretty impressive.

Yeah, it's only their second full year I believe. As I understand, they've applied to be provisionally accredited from the ABA. It's not identified on their website, but a lot of people knew Charleston would get theirs before it was published. So......just curious as to what type of reputation Elon University has up in that area as that often dictates how fast a place is accredited.*

* The pigs in Georgia won't let me sit for the bar exam if I don't graduated from an accredited school. Neither will NC as I understand it.

I think you are leaving out a number of great nieghborhoods by saying 1/2 to 3/4 miles outside of DT only, such as the outer N. Elm areas, Irving Park, all the nieghborhoods around Hobbs and Westridge, around Holden and Friendly Center, Spring Garden nieghborhoods, etc.. Some of these are quite expensive and Irving Park may be out entirely, but worth mentioning as the doughboy may be a grossly wealthy playboy. :)

Edited by nowensone

Thanks Transitman and Nowensone!!! The doughboy is unfortunately poor and is about to go into a massive amount of debt and get even poorer!!!

Greensboro is my preferred city to live in (I even have people in High Point and Chapel Hill!!!) but my eligibility for federal loans is dictated by whether or not I attend an accredited school. So I wait!!! Thanks for the suggestions!!!! I'm really quite fond of that neighborhood that you drive through on Wendover (I think!!!) right before downtown. It's very pretty and reminds me of my neighborhood here.

Thanks Transitman and Nowensone!!! The doughboy is unfortunately poor and is about to go into a massive amount of debt and get even poorer!!!

Greensboro is my preferred city to live in (I even have people in High Point and Chapel Hill!!!) but my eligibility for federal loans is dictated by whether or not I attend an accredited school. So I wait!!! Thanks for the suggestions!!!! I'm really quite fond of that neighborhood that you drive through on Wendover (I think!!!) right before downtown. It's very pretty and reminds me of my neighborhood here.

Well, North Carolina's case, Duke and Wake Forest are excellent schools, but so is UNC, which, if you're an NC resident, is much better on the pocketbook. In Georgia's case, UGA is much better than the other law schools except Emory, but is much much cheaper, think $40K as opposed to $10K a year.

Law schools are weird though, because if a school is accredited, you're eligible for a lot more federal funding than if it's not accredited. Thus, Elon is no more expensive than Mercer or Charleston, but because it's not yet accredited, it makes it harder to secure funding for the student.

So yeah, all the state schools ((UGA, UNC, Virginia, etc) are excellent and even better than many of the private ones (Mercer, John Marshall, Elon, Charleston).

North Carolina's interesting in that it has three powerhouse law schools, compared to Georgia's two. I'm hardpressed to think of a state outside of maybe Mass. and Cali. that have better colleges for its residents---certainly none in the South is better than North Carolina in that regard.

Edited by Pillsbury

• 2 years later...
North Carolina's interesting in that it has three powerhouse law schools, compared to Georgia's two. I'm hardpressed to think of a state outside of maybe Mass. and Cali. that have better colleges for its residents---certainly none in the South is better than North Carolina in that regard.
Edited by ParkPlace

• 13 years later...

According to this site, Raleigh and Charlotte -- after Tampa and Ocala, FL are the two "big" cities retirees are moving to.  NC is well-represented here as well.  Again, GA and TN -- not so much.  People with money and education are choosing quality over quantity IMHO -- and NC (and SC to a lesser extent) offer something in this country that few other states can -- subtropical beaches and big mountains where it snows; small cool towns and increasingly cosmopolitan cities with funky smaller cities mixed in (Charleston, Asheville, Wilmington).  We also offer the best colleges and universities in the South which generate continuing education opportunities and contribute to the coolness of many of our college towns (Davidson, Elon, Boone).  Add some of the best health care in the country and NC is a truly remarkable place and people are finding this out.   In a way, the fact that NC isn't a bloviator (i.e. GA, TX, TN) means that it still feels like a "secret".  For better or worse, the "secret" is getting harder and harder to keep as more and more people discover just how amazing NC (and the Carolinas) truly are. 

https://www.movebuddha.com/blog/moving-trends/#:~:text=Big city spotlight%3A %231 Tampa,%2C and %2315 San Antonio.