Architecture in Northwest Arkansas

Interesting architecture... he goes for the box shapes. I really like the Tower House. It would be cool to see a bunch of those built around Beaver Lake.

Yeah after finally checking out the site a little more that is the house I've seen. At the time there had been someone claiming it was an E Fay Jones house. Nice to know who it really is now. I'm not sure if his overall style is my favorite, but it's something different and adds another dimension to the architecture here in NWA.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a link to Marlon Blackwell's website. That way you can see what type of architecture he does.

http://www.marlonblackwell.com/

I don't get it.

I mean, I get it, in all its minimalist, post-FLW, architectural posturing.

The only way those buildings look good to me is if I think really hard about it. Otherwise they just look like metal barn kits gone awry.

My humble opinion is that this guy's style is very well represented in his website, in that both try way too hard to be something hardly worth deciphering and in the end, are just frustratingly pseudo-intellectual (like hanging a blank canvas in an art gallery for intrigue).

In short, I don't like it at all.

I don't get it.

I mean, I get it, in all its minimalist, post-FLW, architectural posturing.

The only way those buildings look good to me is if I think really hard about it. Otherwise they just look like metal barn kits gone awry.

My humble opinion is that this guy's style is very well represented in his website, in that both try way too hard to be something hardly worth deciphering and in the end, are just frustratingly pseudo-intellectual (like hanging a blank canvas in an art gallery for intrigue).

In short, I don't like it at all.

I wouldn't describe it as my favorite but I think it's alright. I've actually walked by the Cozart Building before and wondered about it. I don't know what the original looked like but the current style reminds me of some 40's architecture. But as I said before I don't have any problems with his stuff, it's just not my favorite or anything.

I wouldn't describe it as my favorite but I think it's alright. I've actually walked by the Cozart Building before and wondered about it. I don't know what the original looked like but the current style reminds me of some 40's architecture. But as I said before I don't have any problems with his stuff, it's just not my favorite or anything.

Its "barn chic" to me.

I guess it goes with the local culture in some weird way.

Has anyone noticed some of the office buildings going up around here look something like chicken houses? There's a failrly large new office building on 71B just south of Hwy 102 and one off of I-540 somewhere towards Lowell or Springdale. I'll try to find a pic of one of them.

I can't say I recall seeing anything like that. I tried looking around while I was driving on my trip up to Rogers a few weeks back but didn't notice anything like that.

Has anyone noticed some of the office buildings going up around here look something like chicken houses? There's a failrly large new office building on 71B just south of Hwy 102 and one off of I-540 somewhere towards Lowell or Springdale. I'll try to find a pic of one of them.

Yes, Vendorville has approached us. :D

I think they are extremely ugly, the developers should have gone more vertical. I think these are primarily for vendors to also display warehouse space for some of their merchandise as well.

Yes, Vendorville has approached us. :D

I think they are extremely ugly, the developers should have gone more vertical. I think these are primarily for vendors to also display warehouse space for some of their merchandise as well.

If anyone can find a pic I think the rest of us might be interested in seeing what you're talking about. Of course not sure how liklly you'll be able tocome across a pic of something like that.

If anyone can find a pic I think the rest of us might be interested in seeing what you're talking about. Of course not sure how liklly you'll be able tocome across a pic of something like that.

Mith, I got you those pics you wanted. Thank my friend for loaning me his digital camera. Note the long and low building behind the main building... that looks like a "chicken house" to me.

100342919_58f3be4a0b.jpg

100342921_bbc2dc4898.jpg

100342922_568f4b8528.jpg

100342924_59d38d389a.jpg

100342923_46ec96c01f.jpg

The very nice receptionist inside told me this is the new office for PB2 Architecture & Engineering. Their website is still under construction. When I asked her about the "chicken house" building next door she said that was the Engineering Dept. I didn't actually say "chicken house" to her. :D

Are those in Springdale?

I can't say I've ever seen those in Rogers.

They're just south of Hwy 102 on 8th Street (71B) in Rogers. They've been there in various stages of development for some time now. I think they're open for business now as there must have been at least 150 cars in the parking lot between the buildings. The landscapers were just setting up when I got there. It's going to be quite something and I was amazed when the receptionist told me a new architect owned the whole thing. I figured there must have been at least 2 or 3 companies in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa!

What type of camera do you have Mith? The zoom seems incredible.

It's a Canon IS S2. It's got a 12X optical zoom built in. There's also a telephoto lens I can also buy for the camera, which I might so at some point.

Does anyone know what the plans are with this place? Seems kind of strange to build a big clubhouse. I have never been close enough to it to see if there is a "No Girls Allowed" sign on it. :D

That's near Butterfield Elementry in someone's back yard basically. I grew up around there. I saw a piece on that on some cable station (home network or something? my parents were watching it while I was at their house and they pointed it out to me)-- if I remember correctly the couple who built it lives in Dallas and this is on their second-home property. It has several levels-- a kitchen, bar, bed, bathroom (you can look down on Fayetteville while on the toilet), all tiny, and the top which has a telescope among other things. The guy said he built it out of memory of his grandfather, who built his treehouse as a kid. Although I'm no architect, I personally think it's an ugly eyesore (looks like some weird old military watch tower), but after it being there for years I'm used to it now.

Although I'm no architect, I personally think it's an ugly eyesore (looks like some weird old military watch tower), but after it being there for years I'm used to it now.

A lot of the Blackwell stuff to me looks like someone bought a metal barn kit at Tractor Supply Company and didn't read the instructions and just thew it together.

Some of his stuff isn't that bad though.

In college, I used to live in the neighborhood with this house and its an eyesore, IMO. It looks like of like someone thew up a grain silo with windows.

(i am a geek for posting here at 2:25 am)

Archived