Architecture in Northwest Arkansas

A lot of the Blackwell stuff to me looks like someone bought a metal barn kit at Tractor Supply Company and didn't read the instructions and just thew it together.

Some of his stuff isn't that bad though.

In college, I used to live in the neighborhood with this house and its an eyesore, IMO. It looks like of like someone thew up a grain silo with windows.

(i am a geek for posting here at 2:25 am)

I can see how it's not going to be a fan with everyone. I've stated before that a lot of his stuff isn't exactly my favorite either. But I think it's still nice to have someone local with some different architectural styles.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlon Blackwell keeps getting some recognition. Apparently a couple of his Johnson projects won awards in the National American Institute of Architects Convention in Los Angeles for the Gulf State Regions that this area is apparently in. (Here's the Gulf state thing all over again.) Anyway I know we've mentioned him before. While it isn't a lot of people's favorite it's still great to see a local architect getting some recognition.

Marlon Blackwell keeps getting some recognition. Apparently a couple of his Johnson projects won awards in the National American Institute of Architects Convention in Los Angeles for the Gulf State Regions that this area is apparently in. (Here's the Gulf state thing all over again.) Anyway I know we've mentioned him before. While it isn't a lot of people's favorite it's still great to see a local architect getting some recognition.

His work is a bit dated... I've seen similar stuff from the 60's. As long as he's attracting national attention is all that matters anyways. I do like his dragonfly house design though. :D

Id love to see Northwest Arkansas with Modern architecture or design. Im a big fan of architects De Herzog & Meuron and Santiago Calatrava. My favorite design from De Herzog & Meuron is the Prada Epicenter Store in Aoyama in Tokyo. The design is just unique and quirky and I love it. Santiago Calatrava is another architect i admire. His designs are just amazing. His current commissions are a new condo building in New york that looks stunning as well as the World Trade Center Transit Terminal.

Ive attached some pics and hope you enjoy.

The Prada Epicenter Store in Tokyo

01.jpg

05.jpg

0019.jpg

0005.jpg

0014.jpg

The new Condo Building in New York City

south_street_tower_02.jpg

voc_archi_calatrava_ny.jpg

The new World Trade Center Transit Terminal

voc_archi_wtc_hub.jpg

I know the designs themselves might look out of place in NWA but Im sure these architects could design some unique that still matches the area. What do you think of these architects in Arkansas? Maybe NWA could become like Bilbao, Spain with some unique buildings (a very very long shot at best but why not).

I love the architecture you posted, but I don't want NWA to become like any other place. There's plenty of designs that have always existed in NWA that could be incorporated into "high tech" architecture. The problem many developers are running into, escpecially in Fayetteville, is that people don't want tall shiny glass skyscrapers in their city. That doesn't leave much room for anything "high tech" looking. At least noone has been imaginative enough to come up with a good "ozark high tech" design yet.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit late but welcome to the forum ronnyp. :D I certainly have to say I'm a big fan of Calatrava as well. Although I can understand concerns about that style not blending in with NWA. It would be nice to see something that merged a more modernistic style with some of the architecture we already have. Then again maybe as the area continues to grow it will seem more like a place to have some more modernistic architecture that would blend in.

• 4 months later...

Archived