Tall House site at 45 Ionia

Prankster

Don't have a lot of time today to get into details, but over on the GR Commission Agenda website they are listing these two addresses as new mixed use developments coming to the Hearside neighborhood. I believe one is 9 stories, and the other is 10 stories. Maybe someone with more time (GRDad) could post more info.

Also, looks like Moch is trying to put up a 4 story building by the intersection of Market and Wealthy. Looks like that is proposed for mixed use also.

Sorry to be so brief, but work keeps interfering with important stuff, like posting on this board. :D

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tall House at 45 Ionia LLC: The proposed nine-story building will have approximately 17,908 square feet of retail space,

26,325 square feet of office space and 61 market rate condos. In addition, 63 underground

parking spaces will be built under the building.

Since the property is located in the Downtown Development Authority, there is no opportunity

for the Brownfield Authority to capture tax increment so the developer is only seeking a

$999,999 SBT credit. However, the DDA will consider reimbursing eligible expenses of

approximately $475,000 from its future capture to also support this project.

Fulton and Division LLC: The developers propose to build a 10-story 127,500 square feet multi-purpose building. The

main use will be an all suites hotel of approximately 50,000 square feet. The other uses are

expected to be 20,000 – 30,000 square feet for condominiums and 20,000 square feet of office

space and 7,500 for retail use.

The contaminated soil will be removed to allow the construction of one-story of underground

parking in addition to the surface parking.

The developer is seeking a SBT credit of $1,410,000 and tax increment financing of $692,000

plus interest for the infrastructure, demolition and site preparation. The tax capture is expected

to be reimbursed within six years of completion of the project.

The entire project is expected to cost $14,968,642 and will create over 100 jobs.

I hope they all come to fruition, and weather the nationwide housing slow-down that is expected to continue next year. The memo states that all related information is free to view to the public at the City office. Can anyone get down there Monday morning and report back if there are any renderings? :whistling:

That sucker may even turn out be higher then the Van... that should give the folks driving north on 131 one heck of an extra thing to look at. I think buildings like these, that offer condos, apartments, retail, and parking will do wonders to create mini living zones that could offer sustainability.

That sucker may even turn out be higher then the Van... that should give the folks driving north on 131 one heck of an extra thing to look at. I think buildings like these, that offer condos, apartments, retail, and parking will do wonders to create mini living zones that could offer sustainability.

At 9 stories I would hope its taller then the Van, unless of course its built for munchkins :lol:

I think the van is equivalent to a 4 story building in terms of height, im not sure.

^^Nice pictures dbrok :)

OK, I waited as long as I could stand it to post these renderings of Tall House (I don't want to always be the media hog around here :P ), but here ya go:

72087305_e7d156759e.jpg

72089719_2ea79a323e.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality.

There's also a big article in the paper this morning:

CONDOS DRAWN TO ARENA

Tall House details:

61 condos from $150,000 to $1 million for a 2800 square foot unit with rooftop garden

Developers: Mary Witte, ROI Design, and Spring Lake builder George Haworth (how ironic is that)

Projected ground-breaking: May 2006, 2007 competion

18000 sq ft street level retail, 26K sq ft office space

63 underground parking spaces

Marketed by: Second Story Properties, which will also be simultaneously marketing The Fitzgerald and Two West Fulton in that area

Question for those of you familiar with downtown zoning: What's up with the building's setback here? I would have thought something pushed out to Ionia would be more "urbane".

Rizzo and Snoogit, VAA is probably closer to 6 stories. :thumbsup:

What do you guys think of this design?

I like the fact that it doesn't look like anything else in Heartside.

I like the street level facade with the curved glass

I love the fact that there is something finally going on this fantastic lot

I don't like the fact that it looks kinda like a Radisson Hotel. As someone somewhere once said "I don't like a building where I can tell where the elevator shaft is" :lol:

I don't like the fact that it is set back so far from Ionia.

I wonder what this will do for the Weston Apartments across the street (more conversions?).

gvsusean, I think just the tower portion is set back. It looks like a two-story section (probably the retai/office) portion is pushed right out to Ionia. I would just think having the tower with balconies looking RIGHT over Ionia would be cool. Maybe too close to Weston for comfort?

I disagree that this project should look like other building in the neighborhood. I used to feel that way, but for one thing, to make them as ornate, the cost is WAY too high. And look at 70 Ionia, they tried to mimic the neighborhood with a little modern twist, and we all know how that turned out.

I think we have to give credit to PBJ for having the inside track on this on Thursday before anyone else knew. Here's his quote from the 2006 Predictions thread:

I heard, and haven't seen here (although i've been very busy and haven't been keeping up lately), that the lot by VAA next to the Bank of Holland and across from McFaddens (on Ionia) is going to be turned into retail w/lofts above this comming year? Anyone have anything on this project?

Archived