Black population of NWA?

bigboyz05

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard a lot about the Latin population of NWA but not about the Black population. Is it because there just aren't many Black people living up there or what?

There really isn't. Historically there wasn't because there wasn't any land suitable for plantations so few people brought slaves to northwest Arkansas. There were some but I think the ones that were here left not too long after the Civil War. Fayetteville has been slowly gaining more Afro-Americans. I'd say most of the in northwest Arkansas probably reside in Fayetteville. But we're still talking about rather low numbers. The Ozarks have just never had much of an Afro-American population. Then even in more modern times Afro-Americans tended to move to bigger cities and such and that didn't apply to the Ozarks either. I've mentioned this before but I think it really didn't help that northwest Arkansas was a part of the Ozarks. I think there was a belief that Afro-Americans weren't welcome in the Ozarks. Tyson tried bringing Afro-Americans from southern Arkansas to help fill jobs in their factories here. They didn't have much luck and they ended up turning to the hispanic community and I think most people know how that turned out. But even if people from southern Arkansas needed jobs and would have been willing to work factory jobs they weren't interested in northwest Arkansas because it was part of the Ozarks. I've got some Afro-American friends who said they were actually surprised when they moved here. They weren't expecting a very open minded society here and really weren't sure if they would be accepted here. They basically came because the promotion they got included that they move here. But it's just not the Afro-American population either. Before the hispanics began coming this area was pretty much all white. About the only area that wasn't was on the campus of the U of A. It's certainly northwest Arkansas has to change to become a more vibrant metro. I do believe this is changing, perhaps more slowly than some of us would like but I do think northwest Arkansas will develop a more diverse ethnic and for that matter religious population in the coming years.

There really isn't. Historically there wasn't because there wasn't any land suitable for plantations so few people brought slaves to northwest Arkansas. There were some but I think the ones that were here left not too long after the Civil War.

Wait.......I'm not trying to be difficult but there weren't any plantations in California either but California has alot of blacks there. So only places that had plantations in the past can have lots of blacks? What about Chicago or Seattle? Honestly, with the fluidity of travel in the US, an absense of a group, culture or race cannot be explained in such a manner. Perhaps in 1920 but not 2005. That statement just sounded funny to me.

While we are on talking about populations of other cultures, what is the precentage of Asian or the Jewish population in NWA?

Wait.......I'm not trying to be difficult but there weren't any plantations in California either but California has alot of blacks there. So only places that had plantations in the past can have lots of blacks? What about Chicago or Seattle? Honestly, with the fluidity of travel in the US, an absense of a group, culture or race cannot be explained in such a manner. Perhaps in 1920 but not 2005. That statement just sounded funny to me.

While we are on talking about populations of other cultures, what is the precentage of Asian or the Jewish population in NWA?

Yeah but California has certainly developed a lot in the past century too. Until recently in northwest Arkansas has there been any development in the Arkansas section of the Ozarks. Traditionally much of the Ozarks are rather poor too, there wasn't any need for more people to move into the areas if there weren't any jobs. And even in more recent times I think Afro-Americans were hesitant to move anywhere near the Ozarks because of a KKK stigma attached to the area. Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well. Feel free to ask more questions.

Yeah but California has certainly developed a lot in the past century too. Until recently in northwest Arkansas has there been any development in the Arkansas section of the Ozarks. Traditionally much of the Ozarks are rather poor too, there wasn't any need for more people to move into the areas if there weren't any jobs. And even in more recent times I think Afro-Americans were hesitant to move anywhere near the Ozarks because of a KKK stigma attached to the area. Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well. Feel free to ask more questions.

Thus you have your real reason........not because there were no plantations. Perhaps I knew what you were getting at but I feel the real reason would have been buried in the discussion of platations in the south. As soon as I read that statement I just got such a funny feeling. Now that you have really touched on the real reason....in your estimation of course, we can better discuss that. The economy or even the social setting was not as conducive for other races or cultures. I would wager that the Jewish population is not very high as well.

I'd say the reason why there isn't a lot of Black here is because NWA has just begun to develop and therefore doesn't have a rich historical population. Traditionally, after the civil war, there were trends for African Americans to go to the big cities and get jobs. This can be said for Little Rock.

Fayetteville has the largest percentage of African Americans in NWA, but it's still not real big.

Some numbers on other cultures, I think Asians make up around 6.5% of NWA. There's about 3,000 Punjabi Indians mainly in Benton County, and I think around a few hundred Jews. The biggest race outside of whites here is hispanics, which make up around 20% of NWA.

BTW, Welcome to the NWA Forum Lady Celeste!!!

I'd say the reason why there isn't a lot of Black here is because NWA has just begun to develop and therefore doesn't have a rich historical population. Traditionally, after the civil war, there were trends for African Americans to go to the big cities and get jobs. This can be said for Little Rock.

Fayetteville has the largest percentage of African Americans in NWA, but it's still not real big.

Some numbers on other cultures, I think Asians make up around 6.5% of NWA. There's about 3,000 Punjabi Indians mainly in Benton County, and I think around a few hundred Jews. The biggest race outside of whites here is hispanics, which make up around 20% of NWA.

BTW, Welcome to the NWA Forum Lady Celeste!!!

Thank you Mcheiss. You explanation was very helpful. A few hundred Jews in Benton County you say. Hum, so there is a temple there right?

Thank you Mcheiss. You explanation was very helpful. A few hundred Jews in Benton County you say. Hum, so there is a temple there right?

Yeah we have two temples up here.

One is in Fayetteville and has a lot more history to it, and another in Bentonville that's a few years old. In fact, we recently got a Raabi from New York who offered to come to the Bentonville Temple to help our Jewish Community grow.

Thus you have your real reason........not because there were no plantations. Perhaps I knew what you were getting at but I feel the real reason would have been buried in the discussion of platations in the south. As soon as I read that statement I just got such a funny feeling. Now that you have really touched on the real reason....in your estimation of course, we can better discuss that. The economy or even the social setting was not as conducive for other races or cultures. I would wager that the Jewish population is not very high as well.

No I do see your point, but I think that was the beginnings of it. There are poor areas elsewhere in the state have have a much higher Afro-American population. I think in some instances some of these families simply stayed in the same areas and never moved. But because the Ozarks never had much of a black population and never really developed until recently there was never incentive for any to move here either. But as I also said I'm sure a KKK stigma has also hurt matters. I just hope the area can overcome this stigma and become a much more diverse metro.

One is in Fayetteville and has a lot more history to it, and another in Bentonville that's a few years old. In fact, we recently got a Raabi from New York who offered to come to the Bentonville Temple to help our Jewish Community grow.

Yeah I hope we can attract more people of many faith and race into the area. I think many people would question it being a true metro with such low diversity here.

While this topic was about blacks in NWA, your above comment is good to know. There are some places you can go being Jewish and I swear people make you feel like you are an alien. As Walmart Corporate imports more talent from outside of Arkansas, you will see even more diversity coming to the area. It won;t be long before you guys even have a cantor at the Bentonville Temple. ;)

While this topic was about blacks in NWA, your above comment is good to know. There are some places you can go being Jewish and I swear people make you feel like you are an alien. As Walmart Corporate imports more talent from outside of Arkansas, you will see even more diversity coming to the area. It won;t be long before you guys even have a cantor at the Bentonville Temple. ;)

Yeah the city of Bentonville (WM HQ) has grown significantlly in economic diversity. The Walmart HQ is very diverse, as I am an employee there. Walmart strives at economic diversity and has done a good job at recruiting a small but growing Jewish Community.

I'm afraid I have to ask you what is a cantor?

Oh yes I've mentioned in another topic recently around here. I wouldn't mind having a nice Middle Eastern community here. I'm not phobic towards muslims and would find their addition to the area a very interesting mix. A more diverse and cosmopolitan population not only makes the area much more interesting but makes it the definition to a true metro in my opinion. I am no expert on Jewish culture but I have gotten the impression most of the people with Jewish ancestry tend to lie in the northeast.

Oh yes I've mentioned in another topic recently around here. I wouldn't mind having a nice Middle Eastern community here. I'm not phobic towards muslims and would find their addition to the area a very interesting mix. A more diverse and cosmopolitan population not only makes the area much more interesting but makes it the definition to a true metro in my opinion.

Yes Mith, I myself would like to see more of an Islam presence up here and a Middle Eastern Community. There's no mosque up here yet, but Pine Bluff has one, Ft. Smith 1, Little Rock 2 (one more towards the Black Muslim Community, and the other more towards the Middle Easterners).

I am no expert on Jewish culture but I have gotten the impression most of the people with Jewish ancestry tend to lie in the northeast.

Not wholely true. There are several cities or places in the south with very sizable and historic Jewish communities. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas and southern Florida come readily to mind. These locations have very rich and long histories with the Jewish community.

Yes Mith, I myself would like to see more of an Islam presence up here and a Middle Eastern Community. There's no mosque up here yet, but Pine Bluff has one, Ft. Smith 1, Little Rock 2 (one more towards the Black Muslim Community, and the other more towards the Middle Easterners).

There is a mosque in Fayetteville. Perhaps the word mosque is a bit strong but it is used as one. I took some pics of it and posted them in the Pics of Fayetteville topic. Maybe I need to put a few over here to show you. I believe there is a mosque in Jonesboro too.

I see, so are rabbis more common than cantors?

You can't have a temple without a rabbi but you can have a temple without a cantor. Usually rabbis double as the cantor in smaller congregations and especially in Reform congregations. In Conservative and Orthodox congregations that are larger you will rarely find the rabbi acting in a cantorial capacity....although I'm sure it has happened before.

Not wholely true. There are several cities or places in the south with very sizable and historic Jewish communities. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas and southern Florida come readily to mind. These locations have very rich and long histories with the Jewish community.

That's right I remember hearing about a small Jewish population in New Mexico. back when it was a Spanish colony a number of sephardic (sp?) Jews left Spain because at the time you couldn't be Jewish and stay in the country. So many of them left and settled in the colonies to try to pursue their religion more openly.

Oh, I see.

I wouldn't have thought some of those cities have large Jewish Communities. I think more of places like Boston, New York, the Northeast and the east. Good to hear that the south is culturally diverse.

You can't have a temple without a rabbi but you can have a temple without a cantor. Usually rabbis double as the cantor in smaller congregations and especially in Reform congregations. In Conservative and Orthodox congregations that are larger you will rarely find the rabbi acting in a cantorial capacity....although I'm sure it has happened before.

I see now, thanks for the info. I'm afraid we've gotten a bit off topic here, but it's great to be able to learn about other cultures so I'm not complaining. :D I do remember the rabbi that went to the Temple in Benton County mentioning he was there to help bring more people from areas like New York City to the area. he mentioned he had been approached by people asking him about whether they should move to northwest Arkansas because they may not be able to pursue their religious beliefs very easily.

I see now, thanks for the info. I'm afraid we've gotten a bit off topic here, but it's great to be able to learn about other cultures so I'm not complaining. :D I do remember the rabbi that went to the Temple in Benton County mentioning he was there to help bring more people from areas like New York City to the area. he mentioned he had been approached by people asking him about whether they should move to northwest Arkansas because they may not be able to pursue their religious beliefs very easily.

Yes, Cultural Diversity is something that needs to be looked at more up here.

May'be this title should be reworded.

Yes, Cultural Diversity is something that needs to be looked at more up here.

May'be this title should be reworded.

Maybe bigboyz05 should be asked first or maybe we should consider making this more than one topic. He'll be in for a surprise when he comes back and checks his topic. :D

Sorry to keep getting off the topic but I wanted to show Matt the pics I had taken. Maybe it would be more accurately called an Islamic Center and not a Mosque. I'm really not sure what differences there are between the two. So maybe you're correct in not calling it a mosque but anyway some pics I took and had in my Pics of Fayetteville topic. It's called Masjid Hamzah by the way. It's just off Razorback Rd across the street from Indoor Training facility/Bud Walton Arena area.

img33297ji.jpg

img33304hk.jpg

img33322bn.jpg

img33363mo.jpg

Archived