Black population of NWA?

bigboyz05

So what do sister cities do?

Sorry, I'm just not seeing any physical benefits with this program.

MCheiss, there wouldn't be physical benefits like Tyson building a plant in Kinshasa, or the latter city shipping a container load of cassava here or anything like that.

In Boulder, CO, sister city to Dushanbe, capital of Tajikistan (the smallest and the poorest of the former soviet republics now turned independent nations) there's now a Tajik-style teahouse that's quite interesting looking (one of those things NWA doesn't yet have ;) ) and the Boulderites are going to build a Cyber Cafe in Dushanbe. They're really taken this sister city thing seriously, but obviously a teahouse (or a cyber cafe) won't be a major employer.

I think there are other benefits to a Sister City program besides job creation.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah there could be no economical benefits to this at all. But that's not why the program is set up. Now in Pine Bluff/Iwai City's case there were some gifts and such exchanged. Iwai City paid to have a Japanese Garden put in Pine Bluff. Seemed like Pine Bluff bought some sort of bell/belltower or something like that for Iwai City. There is or was one or two Japanese factories in Pine Bluff. Being a sister city of a Japanese city could have helped. But I doubt it was the main reason for them being there.

Yeah there could be no economical benefits to this at all. But that's not why the program is set up. Now in Pine Bluff/Iwai City's case there were some gifts and such exchanged. Iwai City paid to have a Japanese Garden put in Pine Bluff. Seemed like Pine Bluff bought some sort of bell/belltower or something like that for Iwai City. There is or was one or two Japanese factories in Pine Bluff. Being a sister city of a Japanese city could have helped. But I doubt it was the main reason for them being there.

Mith, one last thing on Bentonville/Kinshasa, if it could happen.

So many have had their attention focused on the plight of Africans, particularly sub-Saharan Africans, in the past century.

The scope of the conflict called "Africa's world war" in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has really started to be focused upon in places like Time magazine and Christianity Today, both of which have had the DRC wars (primarily in the eastern DRC, Kinshasa being in the western part of that nearly 1 million square mile nation) on their cover in the past two months.

However, with the first elections in over 40 years coming up, people are starting to notice that (see "natural resources" which I talked about earlier) a lot of folks are lining up to take advantage of a (hopefully) more peaceful DRC. (Here and here (note how the DRC is called the "Land of risk and opportunity"...hmmm, which American state's motto used to be that minus two words?) and here and here.) BTW, if there's ANY nation in Africa which could now be called "The natural state", ask any inland traveler to Zaire/the DRC from the past few decades...

I seriously doubt that Bentonville is going to need raw copper, cobalt, uranium, gold, diamonds, coltan, tropical hardwoods or electricity from the "world's greatest source of hydroelectric power".

However, there's a chance the DRC could become a powerhouse (no pun intended) someday where it's now a very ravaged nation. And I should think that if Bentonville (home of either the first or second largest company in America, and a place much of the same nation has very little if any knowledge about) extends a kind hand to the former nation's capital (and if it did so before said big nation got up on its feet), there will be people who will take notice for many reasons.

People on both sides of "the pond" will ask: What's in it for me? What benefits could arise? Remains to be seen. But I indeed think there will be positives.

I certainly agree on there being positives. I just tend to think of them as more cultural than economic. I think all the NWA cities could use some more cultural ties. But as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers have had sister cities set up and nothing really came of any of them. Hopefully the same won't happen with Betonville.

I certainly agree on there being positives. I just tend to think of them as more cultural than economic. I think all the NWA cities could use some more cultural ties. But as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers have had sister cities set up and nothing really came of any of them. Hopefully the same won't happen with Betonville.

kinshasa.jpg

Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, with the Congo River in the background

I'm in agreement (and I might add "perceptual" benefits to this as well if Bentonville and K develop a partnership...time will tell.

Since we've gotten this topic off course with all this I thought I'd throw some more info out. :D I don't know about Rogers but I know back in the mid 90's both Fayetteville and Springdale were set up with sister cities in Central America. I don't remember exactly all the details but I'm pretty sure one of the cities was in Costa Rica. Unfortunately nothing ever happened with it. I don't know if either NWA city even send anyone down to visit. Not sure why nothing ever seemed to develop.

I'm in agreement (and I might add "perceptual" benefits to this as well if Bentonville and K develop a partnership...time will tell.

While we're talking about this isn't Kinshasha a rather big city?

I went and checked out my own question. It's tied for second on the African continent with 7.5 Mil. I didn't think the sister city programs usually set up cities with such a large population difference like this.

So, we could possibly see a building with African Influences in Bentonville?

While it's possible, I wouldn't say it would be likely. Pine Bluff never built anything of any Japanese influence just because it had a Japanese sister city.

Since we've gotten this topic off course with all this I thought I'd throw some more info out. :D I don't know about Rogers but I know back in the mid 90's both Fayetteville and Springdale were set up with sister cities in Central America. I don't remember exactly all the details but I'm pretty sure one of the cities was in Costa Rica. Unfortunately nothing ever happened with it. I don't know if either NWA city even send anyone down to visit. Not sure why nothing ever seemed to develop.

While we're talking about this isn't Kinshasha a rather big city?

Yep,

Across the river from Kinshasa is Brazzaville, capital of the Republic of Congo.

It's sister city is Washington, D.C.

Below the DRC is Angola, whose capital is Luanda.

Luanda's sister city is Houston, TX.

Also below the DRC is Zambia, whose capital is Lusaka.

Lusaka's sister city is Los Angeles.

Here's a map of Africa's sister cities.

We say we're becoming a major player in the world. If so, this could make for an interesting sisterhood.

Yep,

Across the river from Kinshasa is Brazzaville, capital of the Republic of Congo.

It's sister city is Washington, D.C.

Below the DRC is Angola, whose capital is Luanda.

Luanda's sister city is Houston, TX.

Also below the DRC is Zambia, whose capital is Lusaka.

Lusaka's sister city is Los Angeles.

Here's a map of Africa's sister cities.

We say we're becoming a major player in the world. If so, this could make for an interesting sisterhood.

Or, (if this was the old "Rocky and Bullwinkle" show with multiple "next-show" titles): "Wal-mart changes everything!"

BTW, the sister city to Lome (population: 730,000+), capital of the west African nation of Togo is Bay City, Michigan (population: 37,000+).

Mcheiss, rather than architecture, I'd rather hear a Bentonville radio station play Congolese music (listen live here)...it's fun.

BTW, the sister city to Lome (population: 730,000+), capital of the west African nation of Togo is Bay City, Michigan (population: 37,000+).

Guess that answers my question. Didn't realize they tended to put cities together with such a large population difference.

I'll check out the music a little later when I can have more time to set up an account for live365. I must admit I do take an interest in world music. :)

Guess that answers my question. Didn't realize they tended to put cities together with such a large population difference.

I'll check out the music a little later when I can have more time to set up an account for live365. I must admit I do take an interest in world music. :)

If you've got a RealAudio player you can also listen to the UN's radio station in the DRC, Radio Okapi (and it's fun listening to the announcers/talk show hosts patois of French, Swahili and Lingala. :wacko::)).

I know back in the mid 90's both Fayetteville and Springdale were set up with sister cities in Central America. I don't remember exactly all the details but I'm pretty sure one of the cities was in Costa Rica. Unfortunately nothing ever happened with it. I don't know if either NWA city even send anyone down to visit. Not sure why nothing ever seemed to develop.

Stefan Miller drove this in Fayetteville back when he was on the city council. They did indeed take a trip to Costa Rica. Don't recall the name of the town, though. Unfortunately, Stefan got busted with some dope, and sent to prison. The whole thing sort of fell apart after that. Shame, because it was a good thing culturally, which is all the sister city thing is all about.

Stefan Miller drove this in Fayetteville back when he was on the city council. They did indeed take a trip to Costa Rica. Don't recall the name of the town, though. Unfortunately, Stefan got busted with some dope, and sent to prison. The whole thing sort of fell apart after that. Shame, because it was a good thing culturally, which is all the sister city thing is all about.

I never heard about that. I had sorta questioned whether the NWA back then were really big enough to appreciate something like a sister city program. Some cities seem to do better with them. They're either a bit larger or if they're like Pine Bluff, there's not a lot going on for them so they seem more likely to want to focus on it.

I never heard about that. I had sorta questioned whether the NWA back then were really big enough to appreciate something like a sister city program. Some cities seem to do better with them. They're either a bit larger or if they're like Pine Bluff, there's not a lot going on for them so they seem more likely to want to focus on it.

Indeed, a lot depends on whomever is involved with the partnership at the municipal level for both cities.

Kinshasa / Bentonville could be one of the most interesting and (especially looking at how the latter was a 1 blinking stop light town only about three-four decades ago) unique partnerships should it happen some day. There's going to perhaps be a LOT of news generated out of the Democratic Republic of the Congo at month's end given what happens in that nation's elections.

If the nation gets decent, stable leadership keep an eye on the DRC.

Indeed, a lot depends on whomever is involved with the partnership at the municipal level for both cities.

Kinshasa / Bentonville could be one of the most interesting and (especially looking at how the latter was a 1 blinking stop light town only about three-four decades ago) unique partnerships should it happen some day. There's going to perhaps be a LOT of news generated out of the Democratic Republic of the Congo at month's end given what happens in that nation's elections.

If the nation gets decent, stable leadership keep an eye on the DRC.

It's possible but it's just so hard for developing countries to get over the hump. There are other African countries like Nigeria that would seem to be able to develop into more stable developed countries. I suppose you could say the same for a lot of the Latin American countries as well.

It's possible but it's just so hard for developing countries to get over the hump. There are other African countries like Nigeria that would seem to be able to develop into more stable developed countries. I suppose you could say the same for a lot of the Latin American countries as well.

You've got to factor in cost to benefit at some point. It may not be feasible to fund an annual delegation to an African or Asian city, when you can fund several for the same money to a Latin-American city.

Personally, I believe a town like Fayetteville should partner up with a larger, more progessive place. A Vancouver, or Winnipeg, or Toronto...some place that has something to offer in return that is tangible. Culture is a good thing, of course, but economic benefits should not be overlooked.

Indeed.

There are different types of SC arrangements that aren't as intensive.

You've got to factor in cost to benefit at some point. It may not be feasible to fund an annual delegation to an African or Asian city, when you can fund several for the same money to a Latin-American city.

Personally, I believe a town like Fayetteville should partner up with a larger, more progessive place. A Vancouver, or Winnipeg, or Toronto...some place that has something to offer in return that is tangible. Culture is a good thing, of course, but economic benefits should not be overlooked.

Do they link cities like that? Seems like they usually pick something further away than say Canada. But I admit I don't know how the sister city program works.

Oh yeah maybe I should point out that larger cities also have more than one sister city. Not sure if that's been mentioned yet.

Do they link cities like that? Seems like they usually pick something further away than say Canada. But I admit I don't know how the sister city program works.

Oh yeah maybe I should point out that larger cities also have more than one sister city. Not sure if that's been mentioned yet.

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject by any stretch, but the obvious economic benefit would be tourism. You'd be able to exert more of an economic impact by touting a city people actually want to go to as your sister city. :P

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. If it's based on economic concerns, you look closer to home, and toward a city that is doing fine on its' own. If it's based on philanthropic concerns, then you're looking to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc....

I'm only looking at Fayetteville in this equation. A much larger city could afford to sister up with a someone in Africa or Asia. I don't believe it's justifiable for Fayetteville.

That said, I could certainly see partnering up between schools. That Nigerian city could have "Fayetteville Day," and vice-versa, where the kids study each other's culture. I can see that being an awesome program for the elementary/jr. high kids in both cities.

Please forgive me, but when I saw this topic, I was like, weren't all of NWA black? After all, they were straight outta Compton... :blush:

:lol: Yeah those initials are rather common for other things as well including the airlines. Ironically this topic has really gotten off topic into a discussion about the sister city program and such.

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject by any stretch, but the obvious economic benefit would be tourism. You'd be able to exert more of an economic impact by touting a city people actually want to go to as your sister city. :P

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. If it's based on economic concerns, you look closer to home, and toward a city that is doing fine on its' own. If it's based on philanthropic concerns, then you're looking to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc....

I'm only looking at Fayetteville in this equation. A much larger city could afford to sister up with a someone in Africa or Asia. I don't believe it's justifiable for Fayetteville.

That said, I could certainly see partnering up between schools. That Nigerian city could have "Fayetteville Day," and vice-versa, where the kids study each other's culture. I can see that being an awesome program for the elementary/jr. high kids in both cities.

...all the reasons above are why Bentonville / Kinshasa could be a fascinating partnership some day.

If the DRC gets under control (big "if") it could dwarf Nigeria economically. It could be Africa's richest nation save for South Africa, and it will give the latter a run for its money with the timber, hydropower and wildlife (the most biodiverse on the continent) which the latter doesn't have. And again, there will be some people who may very well remember it was Bentonville which was willing to extend a hand of friendship to the big African nation's capital city when many other people walked the other way from the place, simultaneously impoverished and wealthy like no other nation on continent.

And again, Bentonville's being home of the world's second largest corporation gives it some leverage other cities might not have, even other much larger ones. (Bear in mind again, that President Eisenhower originally intended this to be a pairing of OPPOSITE American/worldwide cities, and apparently wanted to make this as much of a gesture of international friendship as economic partnership, perhaps moreso.) Now, I should add that the DRC has had a history of government dysfunction, and that nothing at all could much come from this.

As the little basketball plaque on my son's bedroom door says: "To make a shot, you must take a shot."

• 1 month later...

I got so enthralled with the WNBA / Wranglers news today that I skipped right over this.

With 8,200 asians, 4,000 (give or take) Marshallese, 51,000 (census figs plus half of what Mcheiss thinks weren't reported) hispanics, and a greater than 10 fold increase in the black population of Bentonville alone since 1990*, there's still THIS perception of Fayetteville, which has had black students at the HIGH SCHOOL from way back in the 80s days?!?!?

At the risk of sounding arrogant, it sounds like someone isn't doing their job in marketing this area...

LITTLE ROCK - The president of the University of Arkansas' Black Alumni Society said UA is fighting a tough battle trying to recruit more members of minority groups to the Fayetteville campus.

"I met with Chancellor [John A. ]White when he came 10 years ago and I told him he had a big problem, and it was a perception problem - that black people are not welcome in Fayetteville," said Wyatt Weems, who attended UA from 1979-83.

http://www.nwarktimes.com/adg/News/164526/

(Sorry, but IMO it sounds like Mr. Weems hasn't VISITED this area since 1983, or at least since 10 years ago when he met with Chancellor White.)

and;

He said many blacks in the state have the perception that UA, in the far northwest corner away from Arkansas' largest concentrations of blacks, is a "foreign land."

(Given the census news reported last week, the gentleman may be right... :lol: )

(*And that's one of the points, albeit a minor one, why I think it would be so cool if the Bentonville / Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo "Sisterhood" ever comes to fruition...it's historically been Benton County which has had the stronger negative perceptions against african-Americans prior to the past 10 years, I've heard.)

Archived