Black population of NWA?

bigboyz05

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never even seen this before, let alone heard of it.

I can see an influence of Middle Eastern Architecture with the pointed windows and such.

Is this near the downtown area?

You must have missed it amoung all the large amount of pics I was posting in the Pics of Fayetteville topic. It's just off Razorback Rd across from the university. I don't remember exactly but I think it's across from the Indoor Training Facility/Bud Walton Arena/John McDonnell Field area.

You must have missed it amoung all the large amount of pics I was posting in the Pics of Fayetteville topic. It's just off Razorback Rd across from the university. I don't remember exactly but I think it's across from the Indoor Training Facility/Bud Walton Arena/John McDonnell Field area.

That's a great asset for the Mid-East Culture. I can't believe I don't remember hearing about that. Something as important as that can mean the difference in someone going back home. I would like to see a mosque though in the future. I think one would fit in well in Fayetteville. It could even help us start on a great Mid-East program through the university.

That's a great asset for the Mid-East Culture. I can't believe I don't remember hearing about that. Something as important as that can mean the difference in someone going back home. I would like to see a mosque though in the future. I think one would fit in well in Fayetteville. It could even help us start on a great Mid-East program through the university.

Do you know the difference between a Mosque and an Islamic Center? The Islamic center has moved around a bit. I believe it's been here for quite a while, at least since I've moved up here. For quite a while they held services and such another building. They eventually ended up temporarily setting up temporary services in a small shopping center across from the Harp's I usually shop at. I'm not sure if they got kick out of the old place or what. I don't remember exactly but this could have been around all the 9-11 tragedy. They might have been kicked out of their old place unfortunately. But while they temporarily set up in the shopping center they were working on this current building. I think it's been open for a couple of years now.

You know we probably should seperate this two topics, especially since we've really gone off on a religious tangent for a while now. I'm not sure what I'd call it though.

Do you know the difference between a Mosque and an Islamic Center? The Islamic center has moved around a bit. I believe it's been here for quite a while, at least since I've moved up here. For quite a while they held services and such another building. They eventually ended up temporarily setting up temporary services in a small shopping center across from the Harp's I usually shop at. I'm not sure if they got kick out of the old place or what. I don't remember exactly but this could have been around all the 9-11 tragedy. They might have been kicked out of their old place unfortunately. But while they temporarily set up in the shopping center they were working on this current building. I think it's been open for a couple of years now.

You know we probably should seperate this two topics, especially since we've really gone off on a religious tangent for a while now. I'm not sure what I'd call it though.

^It's just a nice discussion on religous culture in NWA. I hope a mosque gets built in the area.

^It's just a nice discussion on religous culture in NWA. I hope a mosque gets built in the area.

But how is a Mosque and an Islamic Center different? I'm assuming an Islamic Center in a sense is also used as a Mosque. Do you mean as in a structure used only for religious services?

But how is a Mosque and an Islamic Center different? I'm assuming an Islamic Center in a sense is also used as a Mosque. Do you mean as in a structure used only for religious services?

Right.

Islamic Centers also hold a lot of social events, and things like that.

Mosques are used only for services.

Right.

Islamic Centers also hold a lot of social events, and things like that.

Mosques are used only for services.

Okay, so would you say there's probably a makeshift Mosque there along with other features? But I think I see what you're saying. It would be nice if we could get enough Muslims in the area to need a real Mosque. So there are some Mosques in the state, not just Islamic Centers?

Okay, so would you say there's probably a makeshift Mosque there along with other features? But I think I see what you're saying. It would be nice if we could get enough Muslims in the area to need a real Mosque. So there are some Mosques in the state, not just Islamic Centers?

Yes, there are mosques in that state.

Little Rock has 2, Pine bluff has 1, Jonesboro has 1 I think, Ft. Smith has one.

Yes, there are mosques in that state.

Little Rock has 2, Pine bluff has 1, Jonesboro has 1 I think, Ft. Smith has one.

Really? You're sure these are all Mosques and not Islamic Centers? I could see one in Little Rock but I just always thought the others were probably more like Islamic Centers.

Really? You're sure these are all Mosques and not Islamic Centers? I could see one in Little Rock but I just always thought the others were probably more like Islamic Centers.

I'm pretty sure they are mosques.

Little Rock has two because one is for the Black Muslims, and the other is for Islamic Muslims.

Ft. Smith has one because of the great Asian Population there, and the Asian Muslims.

Pine Bluff and Jonesboro also have 1 each I'm pretty sure.

Little Rock has two because one is for the Black Muslims, and the other is for Islamic Muslims.

Ft. Smith has one because of the great Asian Population there, and the Asian Muslims.

Pine Bluff's I bet is also for Black Muslims too. I don't recall seeing many people from the Middle East or anywhere else from the Islamic World for that matter. Maybe I misunderestimated Ft Smith's ethnic population too. I knew they had a lot of Vietnamese but wasn't aware of any other large Asian population down there.

Pine Bluff's I bet is also for Black Muslims too. I don't recall seeing many people from the Middle East or anywhere else from the Islamic World for that matter. Maybe I misunderestimated Ft Smith's ethnic population too. I knew they had a lot of Vietnamese but wasn't aware of any other large Asian population down there.

There might even be some more.

Pine Bluff's is probably geared more for the Black Muslims.

I thought Islamic = Muslim. You meant Arab Muslims?

You're right. Since I used to be at UAMS I know a large number of Muslims from Pakistan and the Middle East who attend one of these mosques down around Fair Park and Asher. They tend to stay very segregated from the Black Muslims that converted in the last few decades and generally they tend to be markedly different in their attitudes, forcing two large but separate congregations.

I would bet 2/3 of the Little Rock area Muslims attending the traditional mosque are physicians, their spouses or children, or a related medical profession.

You're right. Since I used to be at UAMS I know a large number of Muslims from Pakistan and the Middle East who attend one of these mosques down around Fair Park and Asher. They tend to stay very segregated from the Black Muslims that converted in the last few decades and generally they tend to be markedly different in their attitudes, forcing two large but separate congregations.

I would bet 2/3 of the Little Rock area Muslims attending the traditional mosque are physicians, their spouses or children, or a related medical profession.

Nice insight Aporkalypse. It makes sense, just because they are the same religion doesn't mean that there isn't big cultural differences. I'm pretty sure the one in Pine Bluff has to be Black Muslims. I can't say I recall seeing anyone who looked to be of Middle Eastern heritage anywhere there. I wonder what's the case on Jonesboro then. I don't know as much about it. Is it possible there is a Middle Eastern community there? I hate to say it that way as if you have to be from the Middle East to be Muslim. I do know there are other Islamic countries like Indonesia that are certainly not Middle Eastern. But anyway hopefully everyone knows what I mean without being offended.

Hi all,

I've been lurking for months, and I'd first like to say that I appreciate all the good information. I check in here every day, hoping that one day there will be confirmation of my favorite restaurant, PF Chang's, coming to Benton County.

I'd just like to add a little something to Matt's comment about the Asian population (sorry, I don't know how to copy it into my post, but it was the statement that there are about 3000 Punjabi Indians in our area). While there is a large East Indian population in NW Arkansas, only a small percentage are Punjabis. Punjabis are also known as sikhs, and are a subgroup of the Indian people. My husband is from India (I'm an Oklahoma native), but his entire extended family are all Christians, descended from the British and Portugese who settled in India, and intermarried with the native population. The majority of Indians are Hindus, but there is also a very large percentage of Muslims in India. I believe these 2 groups make up over 90% of the population, with Christians as a (growing) minority.

So, within the Indian population (most of whom work for Wal-mart), there are quite a few subgroups.

Just adding my 2 cents :D

Thanks again for the good info.

Hi all,

I've been lurking for months, and I'd first like to say that I appreciate all the good information. I check in here every day, hoping that one day there will be confirmation of my favorite restaurant, PF Chang's, coming to Benton County.

I'd just like to add a little something to Matt's comment about the Asian population (sorry, I don't know how to copy it into my post, but it was the statement that there are about 3000 Punjabi Indians in our area). While there is a large East Indian population in NW Arkansas, only a small percentage are Punjabis. Punjabis are also known as sikhs, and are a subgroup of the Indian people. My husband is from India (I'm an Oklahoma native), but his entire extended family are all Christians, descended from the British and Portugese who settled in India, and intermarried with the native population. The majority of Indians are Hindus, but there is also a very large percentage of Muslims in India. I believe these 2 groups make up over 90% of the population, with Christians as a (growing) minority.

So, within the Indian population (most of whom work for Wal-mart), there are quite a few subgroups.

Well thank you also for your info Julles and welcome to the forum. :D It's nice to have you post also. Hopefully if you feel comfortable doing it you'll post some more. This topic has really expanded and contains some very interesting info. Thanks for sharing your insight with us.

Hi all,

Sorry about that. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's good to see another person from NW Arkansas. Do you live in Benton County?

I myself live in Rogers. You may be closer than you think about PF Changs. It's been rumored that there are going in the Pinnacle Proemenade Development in Rogers.

Welcome Again!!

I ment that there was around 3000 Indians or so, living in NW Arkansas.

There was an article in Todays paper talking about the Jewish Community in Bentonville.

It said that The synagogue offers a religious school, Torah study, services and a Jewish community. The community is also growing pretty fast, just like all of NWA.

Very good news to hear on Diversity in the area.

There was an article in Todays paper talking about the Jewish Community in Bentonville.

It said that The synagogue offers a religious school, Torah study, services and a Jewish community. The community is also growing pretty fast, just like all of NWA.

Very good news to hear on Diversity in the area.

Which paper? I don't recall seeing that.

There's a sizable Jewish community in Little Rock but it's been there for decades. The original synagogue downtown ended up being torn down along with a couple of Christian churches to build the First Commercial building (now Regions) and was rebuilt on Rodney Parham in the early 1980s.

I imagine Little Rock is by far the most cosmopolitan city in the state. It probably has more people of just about any nationality or heritage, with the exception of a few.

I doubt there's much of a Jewish community in Pine Bluff, but I do remember a few Jewish classmates and some Jewish families there.

Archived