240 Ionia - New Development

GRDadof3

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that I seem to be noticing is that projects are beginning to have underground parking as opposed to ramps. Maybe land values are getting so high that the value of placing just a parking ramp on site is just not worth doing so. Maybe the age of ramps in GR will be over :)

I took some snapshots yesterday of the site:

72095789_b17a0217d0.jpg

72095788_46a0a6b31c.jpg

It looks pretty industrial (in fact, I think the memo mentions site contaminants) but for those of you unfamiliar with this particular area, just to the left (out of sight) of the picture is WMU's downtown building, and across the street sits Design+.

Lott 3 architects have designs on their website for 48 Williams. Is this the development that is in play?

http://www.lott3.com/urban/wi_ur.htm :unsure:

Joe

I'm not sure Joe, maybe if they added a couple of floors. I'll put a link to today's article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=2

Developer: F&D LLC, Brad Radashaw (that name sounds familiar)

75 - 80 room extended stay hotel

12 condos, $400K each, each include garden roof patios

20K sq office space, 7500 retail, and 150 car parking garage

I'll bet it's not the same.

I hope thats not the same project, but what other projects would there be for 48 williams? I really can't stand it when internationalism is used in a small building like this especailly with a solid wall facade... oy. Wheres my 10 stories?!

I'll post the pic:

http://www.lott3.com/urban/images/wi_ext_large.jpg

Disclaimer: this may or may not be the current proposal. This is a picture from Lott3 Architecture for a building at 48 Williams from 2004, but may have been a different proposal.

Lott3 has also had this under development for 228 Ionia:

228ionia_large.jpg

Whatever came of this?

Park Place that you are referring to, that was proposed to be located at Fulton & Division, is a different developer: Bob Tol. I think it's this one here:

http://www.design-plus.com/DesignPlus.asp?...&L2=8&L3=1&L4=0

I think that development is dead. Bob Tol is adding on to the top of the old JA building, but nothing like Park Place as far as I know.

This new development on Ionia is by Fulton&Division LLC. They mention a guy by the name of Brad Radashaw, and I know they are located in Cascade (GR area). The city might have contact info.

Hope that helps.

I like the design on the Lott3 site for 48 Williams for its allusions to industustrialist buildings through the roof line on the tallest section and the grid of large windows, both of which are common in factory buildings. Its kind of appropriate for its location. I wonder what theyplanned to face it in?

I also agree that the design for Fulton and Division should be reused with its distictive "stepped gables"

The first rendering gives me the impression that they were going for internationalism, with the straight collums, and crisp edges. Sort of a mix of utilitarism. Notice the support collums on the right side, it alsmost reminds me of City Hall. I just hope they don't import the Lollypop Trees from Candy Land, I do hear that they are all the rage on the West Coast, but theres a place for that, not here.

How many large, impressive developments can those GR sevelopers come up with, it's like a little Minneapolis. This is getting really depressing, it's like nothing exciting will ever happen in Lansing :) . Maybe I'll just move to GR, it's just getting better and better...

The first rendering was for a condo project that they were looking at building on that lot a few years ago. It went dead when financing/tax breaks didn't work out. The second rendering was from a proposal for the same lot, but this time with 2 stories of condos on top of retail. They actually had the retail section almost fully committed with a bookstore for WMU, but that deal also fell thru. This latest proposal shouldn't look like either of those renderings.

Archived