240 Ionia - New Development

GRDadof3

Thanks Dad... I was only on my first cup of coffee...

Once again, props to GR for doing it right. In my other hometown of Portland, OR, specifically the Pearl District, you'd get laughed out of a planning commission meeting if you tried to put up a structure without retail or something pedestrian-friendly on the ground floor. (Unlike Royal Oak, in Detroit)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the looks of this building. I love the pricepoint, especially with the $300k units allowing an upscale type unit rather then entry level at many of the other downtown projects. I feel that it can be very successul and it would help the neighborhood as well.

Thanks Dad... I was only on my first cup of coffee...

Once again, props to GR for doing it right. In my other hometown of Portland, OR, specifically the Pearl District, you'd get laughed out of a planning commission meeting if you tried to put up a structure without retail or something pedestrian-friendly on the ground floor. (Unlike Royal Oak, in Detroit)

all the new condo proposals don't make sense to me, with all the college students downtown and more and more comming in, you would think that there would be a few decent apartment proposals at least. One thing I think GVSU should do when the demand is here is build some taller dorm towers in the parking lot next to 131, a 10 or 12 story building would look good there

That's good to hear... It killed me to see that condo north (?) across the street from Memphis BBQ, right smack-dab in the middle of R.O. go up with what amounted to a carport on the street level. Not that the world needs another Starbucks, but as hoppin' a place that city is, it sure could have been a better use of the space for the community.

I'm really confused as to what project you keep harping on. Again, not one project that has went up, or is going up, in downtown Royal Oak is without groundfloor retail. I think you may be talking about 18-story The Fifth, but even that has groundfloor retail despite the design of the parking garage above being absolutely hideous.

Back to GR, I'm also surprised there hasn't been more apartment proposals. I know they don't pay for themselves as quickly as condo projects, but it does seem like the development community is missing/ignoring and entire market.

hmm I didnt realize that there were that many potential projects the problem seems to me that there is still no big projects were they need the most, NE DT by the medical mile and CC and also GVSU med school. I think there are plenty of places an apartment tower could be squeezed in on Michigan or just off. What about rowhouses/townhouses with apartment type leases, I think there would also be a huge demand from students for that. Its nice that many of those projects are renivating old industrial sites but a lot of them seemed to far out of the way and many located on the south side of DT maybe too much

They just might not be advertising who they are, because they don't want to be pestered by development junkies. :P If it's the same development team as the old 240 Ionia plan (which it sounds like it is), then it's the same group that was one of the three that submitted a proposal for Fulton/Division when it went up for bid. All of the contracts will have the developer listed on them, because they are the "seller".

Though I don't know him, I think Todd Radashaw was one of them. I believe one of the guys posted a couple of times on UP about a year ago.

I love some of Chris Knape's comments...

"There's also a project Web site, which looks like it's still being developed."

I sure hope so too. Have you seen that thing? Welcome to 1995. Do you think they could've compressed that JPG any more? Oh, and nice use of multiple fonts (Am I the only one that thinks that the use of Comic Sans should be banned for all people except elementary school teachers?).

I love some of Chris Knape's comments...

"There's also a project Web site, which looks like it's still being developed."

I sure hope so too. Have you seen that thing? Welcome to 1995. Do you think they could've compressed that JPG any more? Oh, and nice use of multiple fonts (Am I the only one that thinks that the use of Comic Sans should be banned for all people except elementary school teachers?).

Archived