240 Ionia - New Development

GRDadof3

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What andy said. And I think the windows could be a little larger too.

I like this one - I like the appearance of 'mass' especially for the neighborhood.

I agree with the windows - they look puny in a building that holds that much 'weight' -

like the car models from the forties that had massive bodies and tiny little windows.

I do like the surprise of the trees on the rooftop terraces. But the little pediment on

the top, left side looks dumb, unless it's there to cover rooftop stuff, or is part of a

loft space. But it does look a bit out of place.

It's difficult to judge from that rendering, but it seems to have hardly any decorative detailing compared to GVSU. Hopefully that will change. This is a fabulous leap for Heartside; I'm sure they'll do it right.

The rendering does seem to be a bit of a simplification of what will actually be built. For instance, the windows are drawn only as recessed boxes. My guess is that there will be a greater attention to detail, but including that detail could result in a cluttered look to the rendering.

Although the building certainly can't have the lavel of deailing of historical buildings for the cost, I would like to see particular attention given to the first floor and the very prominent cornices on this building - those areas should definitely not look cheap.

The shadow against the sky on the left side of the building is strange. It makes it look like a paper cutout that is set in front of a background.

It looks like it may have been done with transparencies, and the "building" one didn't lay down all the way :dontknow:

Here's a little cleaner version of the same rendering:

96118327_b0ee11e47f_o.jpg

Definitely some of the extra attention to detail on the GVSU buildings would be a nice touch :)

Dad-

Where did you come up with that graphic? It looks very clean with very high resolution.

• 2 months later...

I like the design. It will definately add height to the area. The mass of the building also makes it seem taller than 10 stories which is cool. It's exciting to see the unused land of downtown get developed.

Anyone know the status of this project? I haven't heard anything in a while, but have been hearing a lot about the area, the proposed theatre, tall house, etc.

• 1 month later...

Talking about the tents at Tall House for the Parade of DT Living made me think of this project. If I remember right, we heard about this the same time at Tall House. Since then, we've heard a lot of Tall House info, but relatively nothing on this. Anyone know any more info? I think this will be a nice addition with everything else going there.

The finished this building will more than likely have more detail to it. But going by the rendering, I like its clean look. No gimmiks here. I also like the height of the building. I hope its high enough to affect the skyline. That way, if Icon on the Bond is finished along with its twin, it along with RiverHouse will push the skyline further north while this development will push the skyline further south. The Frenzied construction over at Spectrum's Butterworth Campus will add from nice height and infill along with a proposed Development on Division and Fultion. With all of these additions I think the skyline will be prime for being crowned by a 40 to 50 story building built in the core.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived