New Hendersonville Retail to have Parking Garage?

rocket9561

The long awaited and long planned Sumner Point and Streets of Indian Lake projects have finally been formally approved by the city. The Most interesting note is that the developers of Sumner Point wish to use a Parking Garage for the mixed-use lifestyle center.

The Streets of Indian Lake

Sumner Point

A small rendering of Sumner Point can be found here: Sumner point

A Rendering of Indian Lake is here: Indian lake

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my question is this....How many more Dillard's and Abercrombies does Nashville need? Does anyone know what the major tenants will be? Belk? They seem to be making a BIG push into the Nashville Market (watch out Macy's - LOL)

This is good news for H'ville and I am excited for them.

It was interesting to read that there will be a RAVE theater complex in this project. They have recently completed a RAVE theater complex in Chattanooga with 18 screens. It is far and away the nicest theater complex I've ever been in. You'll love it! I'm saying this and I used to live in Nashville.

It was interesting to read that there will be a RAVE theater complex in this project. They have recently completed a RAVE theater complex in Chattanooga with 18 screens. It is far and away the nicest theater complex I've ever been in. You'll love it! I'm saying this and I used to live in Nashville.

I completely agree about rave. I went to one in ohio and it was by far better than any of the nashville theaters. Big, clean, nice looking, good screens, etc

I suppose these are nice developments, and I really hate to sound like a negative nancy but I can't even explain how much I despise these dumb little disneyland faux town developments that are only a 'town center' in the most superficial of ways. Yeah, sure, I guess these are better quality developments than the typical big box, but a parking garage, benches, a few trees, and some fake clocktower looking thing don't make it much of a change. In my opinion these are real wolves in sheeps clothing.

So my question is this....How many more Dillard's and Abercrombies does Nashville need? Does anyone know what the major tenants will be? Belk? They seem to be making a BIG push into the Nashville Market (watch out Macy's - LOL)

This is good news for H'ville and I am excited for them.

It, most likely, will not be a Belk. There is Belk a few miles down the road in Gallatin @ Village Green. They have always said that these developments were meant for upscale stores new to the Hendersonville area and new to both Nashville and Tennessee. I would think Parisian might be a good guess for the dept store. Dillards, Abercrombie and Fitch, and abercrombie can all be found in Rivergate.

OK, I'm truly not familiar with Belk except for the one that I used to occasionally walk through at the South Square Mall in Durham to/from my car years ago. But my perception of the store is that it's not upscale. Am I correct that it falls somewhere around the middle-low niche?

I'm not seeing very many positive aspects to this except for a few more dollars going to the suburbs (positive for the northern burbs, negative for nashville) and that your wives won't have to drive quite as far to shop. New development is nice, and there is of course nothing wrong with being excited about something new coming to your community, but apparently people like ignoring the negative aspects of a development if it means you'll have new retail options you can tell people you have close by.

I am reserving judgement until I see a rendering with it and a complete list of tennants for the project, that includes an anchor. It serves a purpose like Cool Springs serves a million different overpriced meals on a friday night. Nashville has its high end in Green Hills and perhaps downtown in the future. I'm not too worried about it other than the mentality of suburbs here going commando with development in respect to the transportation and quality of life in the METRO.

I generally agree with BNABreaker (as I've called these projects in the past... new-sub-urbanism), but there are some nice things about what I've heard about the Indian Lake project.

1. Commuter rail station

2. High density (even if it is in the wide-open 'burbs)

3. Alleviates traffic in the horribly crowded I-65 corridor. Although, I admit that this is a short-term effect. More people will continue to move to the H'ville area.

I remember going to H'ville several times in the early 90's and seeing the great potential around the lake front. Sadly, the city has not seen a need to build that area up.

On that note, perhaps some of the H'villians (I think we have 3-4 here) can lead us in some brainstorming about what could happen with that lakefront. I think that would be something that most of the suburban towns could benefit from... even if they're bedroom communities.

I agree with BNA. Yeah this development is probably bad overall, but, unless we see a dramastic change in the American thought process things like this will happen. I think it is better than your normal strip mall, however. If things like this are going to be bult they might as well be built like this until people change their minds.

These will be nice developments. I don't particularly have a problem with them. It's what the people there want and they should have want they want instead of what we think they should have. Besides, if I'd just spent a million bucks for a lakeside .75 acre lot and put a $3 mllion dollar house on it, I wouldn't want to have to go too far to go shopping. But, they're not building all this stuff for me.

There is great regionalism happening in this community as far a transportation planning and such is concerned, but in reality, these places, like Mt. Juliet, Franklin, Hendersonville, Brentwood and others are separate entities. They are doing a great job in growing their communities as Nashville is doing growing itself as a city. There's plenty to go around. I choose the city as would most of us here, but I really don't see a problem with the other "cities" enjoying growth as they're able to attain it.

Sure, it's sprawl. The drive from Gallatin to Franklin is solid development for nearly 60 miles, but you don't have to get too far off the corridors to realize that there's a lot of beautiful countryside left. I often drive to Franklin on Franklin Road or Hillsboro. That makes Franklin a destination instead of a continuation of spawl as is apparently the case taking the freeway. The same for the other communities. It's only sprawl if you drive through it. Move over a mile or two, and things looks great. Then you can jump back into the sprawl and shop till you drop.

Archived