The Best Restaurants in Your Texas City

imaterry78247

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Traditions on near the intersection of Broadway and Grande is a must in Tyler. It's part Buffet-Style Restaurant. It's part Bistro. It even has a drive-through for picking up take-out meals.

I'll have to try that out. I've never been a fan of buffet places, but you never know. Do you know of any good bread places around here? We're dying for some really good, crusty bread, none of this soft stuff they have around here...

Other than that, outside of Carino's (which is a chain restaurant, right on Loop 323 at the intersection with the Old J-ville Hwy., next to Home Depot), I can't really think of a good place around here. One thing I miss most about moving out here is how easy it was to get really good food, and also to get a hold of the European imports I was practically raised on (hey, my Mom's Austrian...she had to spoil me!). That and a good, REAL Mexican Restaurant, no more nasty Tex-Mex. I wouldn't have guessed it, but the food situation here is the hardest thing for me right now.

^I love Johnny Carino's! I never understood why they haven't built one here, but maybe Bossier City will get one in '07 when all the new restaurants and stores start moving into the suburban north part of that city. Southeast Shreveport right now has Carrabba's, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, and two local Italian restaurants all within 1 mile of one another so maybe that's why there's not a Carino's in that area. :dontknow:

But Texarkana has Johnny Carino's and I love it. To be quite honest, I was so happy when we finally got Macaroni Grill in Shreveport, but I'd much rather have Carino's any day.

Casa Ole in Tyler is a pretty good Mexican place. If I recall, it's over near the mall. Also, if my memory serves me right, they have 3 different types of salsa. Finding good Mexican food in Tyler, however, isn't much of a task! :lol:

I'll have to try that out. I've never been a fan of buffet places, but you never know. Do you know of any good bread places around here? We're dying for some really good, crusty bread, none of this soft stuff they have around here...

Other than that, outside of Carino's (which is a chain restaurant, right on Loop 323 at the intersection with the Old J-ville Hwy., next to Home Depot), I can't really think of a good place around here. One thing I miss most about moving out here is how easy it was to get really good food, and also to get a hold of the European imports I was practically raised on (hey, my Mom's Austrian...she had to spoil me!). That and a good, REAL Mexican Restaurant, no more nasty Tex-Mex. I wouldn't have guessed it, but the food situation here is the hardest thing for me right now.

^I love Johnny Carino's! I never understood why they haven't built one here, but maybe Bossier City will get one in '07 when all the new restaurants and stores start moving into the suburban north part of that city. Southeast Shreveport right now has Carrabba's, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, and two local Italian restaurants all within 1 mile of one another so maybe that's why there's not a Carino's in that area. :dontknow:

But Texarkana has Johnny Carino's and I love it. To be quite honest, I was so happy when we finally got Macaroni Grill in Shreveport, but I'd much rather have Carino's any day.

Casa Ole in Tyler is a pretty good Mexican place. If I recall, it's over near the mall. Also, if my memory serves me right, they have 3 different types of salsa. Finding good Mexican food in Tyler, however, isn't much of a task! :lol:

I can't help you on the bread, sorry. I'm just a visitor here. I asked my wife's grandmother and she didn't know of any place around Chandler or Tyler to get good bread.

If you want a great hamburger and onion rings though, you've gotta try Jucys. In the mood for catfish? Try the Marina Restaurant on Lake Athens in Athens, TX.

I've passed Johnny Carino's a couple of times...in fact, stopped in the Home Depot behind it for a 1' CAT5e Patch Cable this evening....it looks similar to Carabba's that we have back East, but I somehow doubt I'll have time to stop in there this visit. I may have to check it out the next time.

We had dinner at Papasitos on Broadway south of Grande in Tyler this evening. For what was supposed to have been (according to relatives) the best Mexican around, I was not overly impressed.

I can't help you on the bread, sorry. I'm just a visitor here. I asked my wife's grandmother and she didn't know of any place around Chandler or Tyler to get good bread.

If you want a great hamburger and onion rings though, you've gotta try Jucys. In the mood for catfish? Try the Marina Restaurant on Lake Athens in Athens, TX.

I've passed Johnny Carino's a couple of times...in fact, stopped in the Home Depot behind it for a 1' CAT5e Patch Cable this evening....it looks similar to Carabba's that we have back East, but I somehow doubt I'll have time to stop in there this visit. I may have to check it out the next time.

We had dinner at Papasitos on Broadway south of Grande in Tyler this evening. For what was supposed to have been (according to relatives) the best Mexican around, I was not overly impressed.

Papasitos is usually pretty good. We used to have them here, and they're very common in the Dallas area. I hate that the one you ate at wasn't very good.

But I do appreciate the dining advice!! :D I'll be staying a night or 2 in Dallas in September on my way to the DFW airport. I'll need somewhere in the Tyler area to stop and eat lunch, so I'll keep these in mind 9especially Jucy's.) I'd also like to get back over and visit my friend and the Caldwell Zoo as well.

All the "Mexican" stuff in these parts here is not really Mexican, it's Tex-Mex...subtley different. Back in CA we went to a little place every friday owned by a Mexican family. Friendliest folks and the best d@mn Mexican food ever, and pretty cheap (for CA), too. Sadly, it's hard to find good, authentic Mexican here. And hard to find a place that makes my Tamales with pork!! Only place I've found is a little place in Corsicana that made some mean tortilla chips, too.

I gotta second Jucys - they make some good stuff, although it's a little out of your way if you're rollin' down I-20. They have one over in Longview too, we eat there almost every time we're up in Longview. The one in Tyler is on 5th Street, just down from my school, so I'll pop in there every once in a while for lunch, too.

In Dallas, there's an Americanized Chinese place I really enjoy (we had a smattering of them in the Bay Area, too) called PF Chang's. They make some great food at pretty moderate prices - three can eat quite well for about $40. Not quite gourmet, it's a cut above most restaurants - it's frequented by young professionals and the like. As I recall, there are a couple in D/FW, and the one we went to there was along the southbound frontage road that runs next to the Dallas Tollway, a good bit north of 635.

I gotta agree, too that Carino's is good if a smidge overpriced. I always enjoy it when we go, though. Same can be said of the Macaroni Grill.

All the "Mexican" stuff in these parts here is not really Mexican, it's Tex-Mex...subtley different. Back in CA we went to a little place every friday owned by a Mexican family. Friendliest folks and the best d@mn Mexican food ever, and pretty cheap (for CA), too. Sadly, it's hard to find good, authentic Mexican here. And hard to find a place that makes my Tamales with pork!! Only place I've found is a little place in Corsicana that made some mean tortilla chips, too.

I gotta second Jucys - they make some good stuff, although it's a little out of your way if you're rollin' down I-20. They have one over in Longview too, we eat there almost every time we're up in Longview. The one in Tyler is on 5th Street, just down from my school, so I'll pop in there every once in a while for lunch, too.

In Dallas, there's an Americanized Chinese place I really enjoy (we had a smattering of them in the Bay Area, too) called PF Chang's. They make some great food at pretty moderate prices - three can eat quite well for about $40. Not quite gourmet, it's a cut above most restaurants - it's frequented by young professionals and the like. As I recall, there are a couple in D/FW, and the one we went to there was along the southbound frontage road that runs next to the Dallas Tollway, a good bit north of 635.

I gotta agree, too that Carino's is good if a smidge overpriced. I always enjoy it when we go, though. Same can be said of the Macaroni Grill.

Oh yes, PF Chang's, I'm very familiar with that chain. They were going to build one in south Shreveport, and I believe that is still the plan but rather in a different development than what was originally planned.

Yeah, "Mexican" food around here is really TexMex, but most people just call it Mexican even though it really isn't. It's great though... I love TexMex! :D

Oh yes, PF Chang's, I'm very familiar with that chain. They were going to build one in south Shreveport, and I believe that is still the plan but rather in a different development than what was originally planned.

Yeah, "Mexican" food around here is really TexMex, but most people just call it Mexican even though it really isn't. It's great though... I love TexMex! :D

Hands down-Shreveport has the best Italian/Sicilian local restaurants than any city in Texas for except Houston.

Many will tell you Dominic's, but to be honest the only thing I like at Dominic's is his spiced tea. That place is definitely overrated.

A local favorite (and one of my favorites) is Monjuni's, and L'Italiano in Bossier is also a well-known local favorite though I've personally never tried it. People will tell you that Notini's in Bossier is great, though the one time I tried it I thought the sauce was identical to Chef Boyardee... and I mean identical.

Chianti is a good fine dining Italian restaurant where you go for the atmosphere, but don't go on an empty wallet... or even a light wallet.

Many will tell you Dominic's, but to be honest the only thing I like at Dominic's is his spiced tea. That place is definitely overrated.

A local favorite (and one of my favorites) is Monjuni's, and L'Italiano in Bossier is also a well-known local favorite though I've personally never tried it. People will tell you that Notini's in Bossier is great, though the one time I tried it I thought the sauce was identical to Chef Boyardee... and I mean identical.

Chianti is a good fine dining Italian restaurant where you go for the atmosphere, but don't go on an empty wallet... or even a light wallet.

The restaurants in Dallas are just as plastic as the city is. It like have an artificial rose versus the real thing.

Houston is the best restaurant city in Texas, only second to New Orleans in the whole south. San Antonio has some good restaurant too but really needs a good seafood restaurant. Austin has the most overrated restaurants in the state. Would love to know about good restaurants in the Tyler Longview area. Beaumont and Galveston excellent food. Fort Worth has some good restaurants too. Shreveport-Herby K, Brocatos and Ernest is too much alonge with Pete Harris Place. What about Bryan College Station and Texarkana

• 2 weeks later...

I tried another TexMex kind of place here called "On the Border". The beer's too expensive, but the atmosphere's really nice and the food's pretty good too. I could have done with less salt in my tamales, but overall it's probably the best Mexican we've had in Tyler thus far.

The East Texas Belt. I hear that the BBQ in the Tyler,Longview,Palestine area is the best in Texas. Is it better thant Austin's -Driftwood or San Antonio- Luling. From my travels in Texas it seems like the African Americans BBQ joints are the best.

There's some awesome BBQ here...there's Rudy's on the Loop, and there's a few "Bodacious BBQ" joints around that are reputed to be pretty good.

Best BBQ I've ever had, though, was a little hole in the wall place in Comanche, TX, my Dad's hometown. The guy who ran it was a black dude and was a million years old. That old boy made some simply awesome BBQ. The brisket was so tender, it melted in your mouth!

• 2 months later...
There's some awesome BBQ here...there's Rudy's on the Loop, and there's a few "Bodacious BBQ" joints around that are reputed to be pretty good.

Best BBQ I've ever had, though, was a little hole in the wall place in Comanche, TX, my Dad's hometown. The guy who ran it was a black dude and was a million years old. That old boy made some simply awesome BBQ. The brisket was so tender, it melted in your mouth!

Archived