Midtowne Little Rock

After eating at Fantastic China, I dont get what the big whoop is over PF Changs.

I like PF Chang's for certain items (ahi tuna, etc) but really there is plenty of high-end Chinese in LR - Fantastic China, Hunan's, Fu Lin, and Chi's are all good. Fantastic China will always be my favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

Cantina Laredo was packed to the gills when I drove thru around 8:15 p.m. tonight. I didn't know they'd opened already. The Most of the parking lot was full. I'm finding more and more large groups are meeting on weekend nights at Pei Wei, Starbucks and I'm sure Cantina Laredo now. This is largely the 18 to 35 crowd.

Cantina Laredo was packed to the gills when I drove thru around 8:15 p.m. tonight. I didn't know they'd opened already. The Most of the parking lot was full. I'm finding more and more large groups are meeting on weekend nights at Pei Wei, Starbucks and I'm sure Cantina Laredo now. This is largely the 18 to 35 crowd.

I overheard someone earlier this week talking about having eaten there on opening night. She said the food was very good and that the decor was very attractive. I'm curious to try it, but I'll probably try to wait until the crowds have died down somewhat. Glad to hear it's starting out as a success, though.

I overheard someone earlier this week talking about having eaten there on opening night. She said the food was very good and that the decor was very attractive. I'm curious to try it, but I'll probably try to wait until the crowds have died down somewhat. Glad to hear it's starting out as a success, though.

I had lunch at Cantina Laredo today. It was a great experience overall. I would give it an A+. The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable. To top things off, the food was excellent. I highly recommend it. Amazingly, I happened to arrive during a lull, so it wasn't terribly busy. The crowd was growing larger as I left.

All in all, it's a great restaurant and I am glad to have such an establishment here in Little Rock.

I had lunch at Cantina Laredo today. It was a great experience overall. I would give it an A+. The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable. To top things off, the food was excellent. I highly recommend it. Amazingly, I happened to arrive during a lull, so it wasn't terribly busy. The crowd was growing larger as I left.

All in all, it's a great restaurant and I am glad to have such an establishment here in Little Rock.

Thanks for the review. What did you have?

Thanks for the review. Our family is planning on "Labor Day" lunch there tomorrow - I'll post our thoughts as well.

Thanks for the review. What did you have?

I had the enchiladas. That's my standard measure. If a self proclaimed hispanic restaurant can't make a decent enchilada... well you get the picture.

But I digress, they begin with two complementary salsas instead of one. One served warm and the other chilled. Both were made fresh in the restaurant. I ate more of the chilled, but only because it was such a hot day that cool salsa seemed to be the way to go. The warm salsa was great, it had a roasted flavor, one I'm sure I'll enjoy in the winter. The chilled had a little spunk to it.

For the main course I had the chicken and spinach enchilada with their special sour cream sauce and a beef enchilada with their house chili sauce. Both were delicious and served piping hot. Accompanying the enchiladas was a medium sized portion of rice and beans. They have three different styles of beans, as opposed to the garden variety of just refried. I chose the style I'd never heard of and one whose name I'd butcher if I attempted to spell it here. It sounded like 'mariachi beans'.

After completing my meal I didn't have room for dessert but I had the waitress bring out the tray just to see what they offered, which turned out to be quite appealing. They of course had flan and brownies with ice cream on top. What stood out to me was the apple pie covered in a scoop of cinnamon ice cream and crepes with ice cream topping.

The waitress briefly mentioned how their margaritas set them apart from other restaurants, but she threw her nice little speech under the bus when she noted that Cantina was just a few days away from being awarded their liquor license.

Nevertheless it was a great experience. I hope that you will have the chance to enjoy it soon.

Thanks for the review. Our family is planning on "Labor Day" lunch there tomorrow - I'll post our thoughts as well.

Here are my thoughts on Cantina Laredo:

1 - Decor is fantastic...very modern/sophisticated.

2 - Food was of high quality, though I wasn't as favorable to the enchiladas today as what I've had before at other Cantina Laredos.

3 - Service was spotty - our first waiter disappeared and all of the sudden we had a new waiter; waited forever on the queso, etc. However, I don't hold this against them as they just opened.

4 - I think this will be a great addition to Midtowne and will generate a lot more traffic - the whole center seemed quite busy today (holiday).

We used to eat at one in Dallas. I'm a big fan of the Chili Rellenos, the best you'll find anywhere.

We went a week before they opened to a kind of preview meal. They spilled a tray of margaritas on my wife and weren't really all that apologetic about the deal, which means I won't be back for a while with the wife. I agree about the service.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wounder what would go into the empty Lewis & Clark? Maybe Dick's Sporting Goods. Its a large space. 30K+ sf. There are 3 empty spaces and one of them is accounted for with the new salon moving in. I wish they would get a Jimmy Johns or something like that. I think one more eatery would be good. I don't see space for the Apple Store here. Unless they would go next to the Container Store. Maybe Panera Bread could go in here somewhere.

I wounder what would go into the empty Lewis & Clark? Maybe Dick's Sporting Goods. Its a large space. 30K+ sf. There are 3 empty spaces and one of them is accounted for with the new salon moving in. I wish they would get a Jimmy Johns or something like that. I think one more eatery would be good. I don't see space for the Apple Store here. Unless they would go next to the Container Store. Maybe Panera Bread could go in here somewhere.

I think the space is too small for Dick's and too large for Apple.

A while back someone posted that the shopping center didn't want any more eateries. They thought they had enough. Besides, I think Panera is tied to Park Avenue down the street now.

I think the space is too small for Dick's and too large for Apple.

A while back someone posted that the shopping center didn't want any more eateries. They thought they had enough. Besides, I think Panera is tied to Park Avenue down the street now.

A Crate& Barrel would fit well.

Unfortunately, I can't see that happening...especially with the adjacent Container Store.

Perhaps it would reek of overkill in a market this size; especially considering that Crate & Barrel is described as Pottery Barn and The Container Store under one roof. However, a little competition never hurt.

Maybe an Urban Outfitters would work well there. That's definitely a store for the younger crowd. (Interesting note: There's a location in Alabama)

• 11 months later...

there seems to be work going on in the space next to The Container Store. Does anyone know what it is?

Also rumors Ive heard include a whole foods/fresh market style of market going into the old Lewis & Clark. They took down the rock wall and there wasn't a for lease sign on the space last week when i was there.

I really hope they find somebody for that space. Its rather large, but its in a prime location.

• 3 months later...

James Avery Jewlers opened their first Arkansas store in Midtowne last week. Don't know much about them other than they are family owned & operate 60 other stores across the southeast.

Any rumors about the Lewis & Clark Store? Its about 20K sq. ft. I think that's right in rage with what a fresh market would typically use.

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't "exactly" related to MIdtowne, but does anyone know what the gut/renovation of the old/adjacent mid-rise retirement center/nursing home will be? It looks quite substantial. I had initially hoped that Strode would have bought it, but I suppose he's got plenty of development opportunity across the street.

• 2 months later...

Felt the need to just "drive around" last night and drove through Midtowne Centre. (Hey, if we're adding an "e" to Midtown, might as well spell Center the British way, too!) Got to thinking about the old Lewis & Clark place and the question that ran through my mind was "Is that space too big for a Trader Joe's?" The center seems to be the most appropriate one in Little Rock for a Trader Joe's. Would the upstairs section be the fatal flaw in that thought?

I was trying to think of what store would "fit" well within the framework of the stores presently located there. Trader Joe's was the only thing which kept coming to mind.

It's definitely too big for an Aldi, Trader Joe's little cousin.

I miss Aldi. Maybe Aldi could go in at Park Avenue.