Midtowne Little Rock

Don't know if this is the right place or not but Simon states it is planning to spend $2.75 million to improve University Mall and has probable tenants for the old Osco Drug and Montgomery Ward locations. It also is complaining it is impossible to find tenants for the short term (20 yrs) they currently have the lease with the current owners.

This sounds like an insult, that amount of money will do nothing to improve the condition of the mall up to reasonable standards. The owners want them to rebuild and I agree, Simon should rebuild or they should allow Simon to break the lease and the owners can develop or sell the property. It's time for this BS to end.

Don't know if this is the right place or not but Simon states it is planning to spend $2.75 million to improve University Mall and has probable tenants for the old Osco Drug and Montgomery Ward locations. It also is complaining it is impossible to find tenants for the short term (20 yrs) they currently have the lease with the current owners.

This sounds like an insult, that amount of money will do nothing to improve the condition of the mall up to reasonable standards. The owners want them to rebuild and I agree, Simon should rebuild or they should allow Simon to break the lease and the owners can develop or sell the property. It's time for this BS to end.

Goodness. No kidding. Let it die in peace. Throwing $2.75 million at this is like putting shiny new hubcaps on your '76 Pinto. Its offensive.

Goodness. No kidding. Let it die in peace. Throwing $2.75 million at this is like putting shiny new hubcaps on your '76 Pinto. Its offensive.

I read somewhere last fall it would only take $2 million to take it down. Do a Mall of Memphis thing on it. Nothing left but an empty lot.

Edited by skirby

Someone, please tell me that this is not an "official" professional rendering.

Not sure about "professional", but it is better than what I can draw... However, my four-year old may be able to give this drawing a run for its money.

Stode Properties and architects, the Richardson Group, are obviously not interested in media attention for this development. They spent five years to assemble the property and to mitigate complaints raised by a small, but vocal minority. In addition, Lou Shickel pulled a stunt by purchasing a property in the middle of the develpment, then refusing to sell.

I am not sure how much this contributed to the media blackout behavior, or if this is just par fo the course in other areas or for Mr. Strode. I was around Ron Tabor during between 2001 and 2004. All the claims he made about the quality of the development and the quality of tenants have come to fruition.

Not sure about "professional", but it is better than what I can draw... However, my four-year old may be able to give this drawing a run for its money.

Stode Properties and architects, the Richardson Group, are obviously not interested in media attention for this development. They spent five years to assemble the property and to mitigate complaints raised by a small, but vocal minority. In addition, Lou Shickel pulled a stunt by purchasing a property in the middle of the develpment, then refusing to sell.

I am not sure how much this contributed to the media blackout behavior, or if this is just par fo the course in other areas or for Mr. Strode. I was around Ron Tabor during between 2001 and 2004. All the claims he made about the quality of the development and the quality of tenants have come to fruition.

Well, here's to hoping that the "design" of the center is commensurate with the quality of tenants. If it's not, I predict (ultimately) a luke-warm reception. It needs staying power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Bombay Company shows a permit for Midtowne. Does this mean that it will be leaving Park Plaza across the street?

Hmm...who knows. Seems to be a strange fit for this type of center. I haven't shopped there in a while though (Bombay).

What about Pier 1? That seems like a more obvious choice. They may want to be looking for a new home when (supposedly) the Wal-Mart its adjacent to in WLR relocates.

Hmm...who knows. Seems to be a strange fit for this type of center. I haven't shopped there in a while though (Bombay).

What about Pier 1? That seems like a more obvious choice. They may want to be looking for a new home when (supposedly) the Wal-Mart its adjacent to in WLR relocates.

I always thought about Bombay as an indoor mall type of store but they are putting them in outdoor "lifestyle centers" in the newer developments in Dallas. There are a couple of "Bombay Kids" down here (which seems strange), perhaps one of those could occupy that slot. On the other hand, maybe they just need more room.

• 4 weeks later...

Another new store to Midtowne Shopping Center:

Harolds, an upscale men's and women's clothier

Cool. There used to be one for a brief time at the (ill-fated, unfortunately) early 1990's "Main Street" mall downtown on Main. That was a very cool place, but not well located and a little too premature in the development of downtown. If it were built now, further north on Main, it would be an incredible deal.

Anyway, isn't Harold's out of Memphis?

• 1 month later...

Lewis and Clark Outfitters just confirmed...this should be a nice tenant. There is no major outdoor store like this in Central Arkansas, and I know they do well in NWA

Wow...beat me to the punch!

Also, the plumbing records indicate that Starbucks in putting in locations downtown (Broadway & I-630 - not exactly pedestrian friendly???), and in Maumelle...surprisingly.

Wow...beat me to the punch!

Also, the plumbing records indicate that Starbucks in putting in locations downtown (Broadway & I-630 - not exactly pedestrian friendly???), and in Maumelle...surprisingly.

It wont be pedestrian friendly, but I'm sure they will get tons of drive through traffic from the morning commute. The Mcdonalds down two blocks down is always packed and I dont think it gets much foot traffic.

Glad to hear the Lewis & Clark rumor was more than a rumor. I hope they do well in Midtowne.

More for the ladies... another tenant on the plumb review site is J Jill.

On a scale of one to ten... (one = dead and ten = completely bonkers), what is your holiday 2006 shopping traffic prediction at Markham & University?

Glad to hear the Lewis & Clark rumor was more than a rumor. I hope they do well in Midtowne.

More for the ladies... another tenant on the plumb review site is J Jill.

On a scale of one to ten... (one = dead and ten = completely bonkers), what is your holiday 2006 shopping traffic prediction at Markham & University?

Or, for that matter, the off-ramps at University Exit.

If they ever did something decent with University Mall again the traffic would be genuinely awful.

Lewis and Clark Outfitters just confirmed...this should be a nice tenant. There is no major outdoor store like this in Central Arkansas, and I know they do well in NWA

It's interesting they opted for a Central LR location that close to Ozark Outdoors. NLR's getting the Bass Pro shops but West LR should be open territory since Take a Hike closed.