Midtowne Little Rock

I've heard of them. They're like a West Coast/Fish Taco Burrito Joint.

I'm not sure when they West LR Location is opening, my guess would be somewhere near Chenal.

They're Nashville-based with locations all over Tennessee. The only locations outside of TN seem to be the one in NLR and one going in West LR.

Signage is going up at Midtowne Little Rock. Chicos and White-Black have put up signs on the west side of the center facing University. Also Starbucks is located in the southwest corner of the center. A number of stores have had glass installed and the parking area has been paved. Some storefronts had awnings over their fronts.

I didn't realize that UCR was involved with some of the projects they are involved with in Dallas - you can see the list and scroll down to Midtown and see a list of planned tenants, some of which are obviously still left off. Mockingbird Station and Southlake Town Square are the two innovative developments in DFW in the last decade.

UCR Realty

I'd love to see the company involved more in the Little Rock market. Looking at the projects they've done and the tenants they tend to be affiliated with, they have a lot to offer in Little Rock. Maybe they will someday get involved with the University Mall property if Simon's out of the picture.

A Segment on University Mall aired tonight on KARK. here's what they had on their website.

City Leaders Meet about University Mall

( Air Date: 8/13/2006 )

Little Rock city leaders are headed out of state to meet with the managers of University Mall to send a

simple message...the shopping center run by Simon Properties is an important piece of real estate to the capitol city.

Monday morning Mayor Jim Dailey along with the city director and manager will head to Indianapolis to meet with Simon Properties.

"The property anyone would describe as underperforming - it has been for many years," explains Little Rock city director, Stacy Hurst.

After several discussions with the property owners of University Mall, Little Rock city leaders want to meet with Simon Properties, the company who manages this mall.

The owners of this property are in an ongoing lawsuit with Simon Properties over the management of the mall, so city leaders hope to find a positive resolution to the disagreement and remind simon properties that University Mall is a critical piece of real estate in mid-town.

At the same time, city leaders want to know Simon Properties plans for this shopping destination and work together to boost University Mall's image.

While in Indiana they hope to meet with several Simon executives and discuss the future of university mall.

"Simon definately has the resources to bring in great retailers. Whether or not they want to revitalize in terms of retail - I don't know - there's any number of scenerios that could be a positive outcome," adds Hurst.

Some of those scenorios included a mixed use facility such as possible residential space or maybe even a major cinema, but whether those ideas become reality depend on the meeting in Indiana Monday.

A Segment on University Mall aired tonight on KARK. here's what they had on their website.

City Leaders Meet about University Mall

( Air Date: 8/13/2006 )

Little Rock city leaders are headed out of state to meet with the managers of University Mall to send a

simple message...the shopping center run by Simon Properties is an important piece of real estate to the capitol city.

Monday morning Mayor Jim Dailey along with the city director and manager will head to Indianapolis to meet with Simon Properties.

"The property anyone would describe as underperforming - it has been for many years," explains Little Rock city director, Stacy Hurst.

After several discussions with the property owners of University Mall, Little Rock city leaders want to meet with Simon Properties, the company who manages this mall.

The owners of this property are in an ongoing lawsuit with Simon Properties over the management of the mall, so city leaders hope to find a positive resolution to the disagreement and remind simon properties that University Mall is a critical piece of real estate in mid-town.

At the same time, city leaders want to know Simon Properties plans for this shopping destination and work together to boost University Mall's image.

While in Indiana they hope to meet with several Simon executives and discuss the future of university mall.

"Simon definately has the resources to bring in great retailers. Whether or not they want to revitalize in terms of retail - I don't know - there's any number of scenerios that could be a positive outcome," adds Hurst.

Some of those scenorios included a mixed use facility such as possible residential space or maybe even a major cinema, but whether those ideas become reality depend on the meeting in Indiana Monday.

I really hope some good comes of this.

Here is a follow up on their trip to IN from the Gazette.

City officials call on mall manager to aid turnaround

LR site focus of lawsuit, revitalization

ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

Little Rock officials met Monday with the Indianapolis-based manager of University Mall over the facility's role in the area's redevelopment.

The mall, managed by Simon Property Group Inc., has seen tenants leave and conditions deteriorate while the rest of the city's midtown area has become the focus of revitalization. The owners of the 27 acres on which University Mall sits have sued Simon Property over what they say is its poor condition.

Much of the midtown redevelopment

Edited by gmariam

I really hope some good comes of this.

First of all, I'm new to the board, and just wanted to say that this is a great forum. I've always been interested in the new developments that are taking place in Little Rock, and this board provides so much insight into these developments. Unfortunatly I don't have much inside information, so I'll probably be asking more questions than providing answers.

Anyway, the reason I was replying was to ask if anyone has heard how Dailey's meeting went with Simon Properties on Monday. That land has so much potential, it would be a shame to keep it in it's current state.

First of all, I'm new to the board, and just wanted to say that this is a great forum. I've always been interested in the new developments that are taking place in Little Rock, and this board provides so much insight into these developments. Unfortunatly I don't have much inside information, so I'll probably be asking more questions than providing answers.

Welcome Cru Jones to the Little Rock Forum. Hope to hear more from you about LR and it's projects. Please feel free to post on any topic.

Anyway, the reason I was replying was to ask if anyone has heard how Dailey's meeting went with Simon Properties on Monday. That land has so much potential, it would be a shame to keep it in it's current state.

All I've heard is that was reported in the newspaper, none of which is new. Simon is willing to revamp the mall but won't commit to do so without a long-term lease. Little information will be leaked because of the lawsuit between Simon and the owners.

From today's Ark Times:

"Little Rock City Director Stacy Hurst told the Arkansas Times that Simon Properties showed city officials preliminary sketches of three different scenarios for replacing University Mall in Midtown.

All three possibilities involve eliminating the mall structure entirely, and all include some combination of retail and residential space and medical offices. But the plans are in limbo pending the resolution of a lawsuit filed against Simon by the University Mall property owners, who accuse Simon of mismanaging the mall.

Hurst joined Mayor Jim Dailey and City Manager Bruce Moore

in an Aug. 14 meeting with Simon executives at the company

Edited by Aporkalypse

The implications of this announcement are pretty exciting. Even Simon wants to get rid of the existing mall structure, as I am quite sure the owners do. The real issue is the lease and once the owners and Simon can come to an agreement and settle the lawsuit this will be solved. Nobody wants to see the mall remain, which is a big hurdle that has been cleared. Once JC Penney leaves Simon and the owners are going to see their bottom line plummet and maybe that will force a compromise.

Thre more I think about it, the more I am convinced that a mixed use site (as Simon is proposing and consultants have recommended) would be best. The area needs restaurants and additional retail space, just not as much as University Mall added. There are certain stores that prefer exterior storefronts and this could be accomplished at the UM site. I think Target, a movie theater, and a chain bookstore are locks for any new large development if they fit the design. Some have wondered if the residential component is really needed but I think loft apartments over retail like what you find at Mockingbird Station in Dallas would do very well. 3-4 stories of lofts over the retail are attractive and create an "urban village" environment that is attractive and appeals to tenants. Considering that UAMS and UALR are just a short distance away and that there is a paucity of nice apartments in the area and I think it makes a lot of sense. Office space could easily be accomodated over a parking deck. The more I think about it, the more similarities I could see on the site with Mockingbird Station, just taking away the "station" part of it.

I would love to see those 3 concept drawings for the site.

The implications of this announcement are pretty exciting. Even Simon wants to get rid of the existing mall structure, as I am quite sure the owners do. The real issue is the lease and once the owners and Simon can come to an agreement and settle the lawsuit this will be solved. Nobody wants to see the mall remain, which is a big hurdle that has been cleared. Once JC Penney leaves Simon and the owners are going to see their bottom line plummet and maybe that will force a compromise.

Thre more I think about it, the more I am convinced that a mixed use site (as Simon is proposing and consultants have recommended) would be best. The area needs restaurants and additional retail space, just not as much as University Mall added. There are certain stores that prefer exterior storefronts and this could be accomplished at the UM site. I think Target, a movie theater, and a chain bookstore are locks for any new large development if they fit the design. Some have wondered if the residential component is really needed but I think loft apartments over retail like what you find at Mockingbird Station in Dallas would do very well. 3-4 stories of lofts over the retail are attractive and create an "urban village" environment that is attractive and appeals to tenants. Considering that UAMS and UALR are just a short distance away and that there is a paucity of nice apartments in the area and I think it makes a lot of sense. Office space could easily be accomodated over a parking deck. The more I think about it, the more similarities I could see on the site with Mockingbird Station, just taking away the "station" part of it.

I would love to see those 3 concept drawings for the site.

And with both St. Vincent campuses there, many of those workers may consider housing there so they can walk to work.

Another component I wouldn't mind seeing in the development is a hotel. It could work with St. Vincent, UAMS and UALR nearby along with the Zoo and War Memorial Park/Stadium. The retail component would be a natural attraction for anyone wanting to stay there. The only hotels in the area are the Hilton, Guesthouse Inn, Laquinta Inn and Markham Inn and Suites. It would be good for the city as well since it is trying to bring in more and larger conventions. More hotels will be needed and the area could support a hotel once the Park Plaza renovations, Midtowne and the new UM or whatever come online.

Back on topic: we drove up into MidTowne Wednesday evening as there were no barriers to the entrance drive off of University. Permanent signage was up as noted, and Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn were marked in temporary signage at the SW corner next to Starbucks, which is at the very corner. Looks like the outparcel/restaurant pads are at the SE corner - I'm anxious for some great new restaurants in mid-town!

Edited by Architect

Back on topic: we drove up into MidTowne Wednesday evening as there were no barriers to the entrance drive off of University. Permanent signage was up as noted, and Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn were marked in temporary signage at the SW corner next to Starbucks, which is at the very corner. Looks like the outparcel/restaurant pads are at the SE corner - I'm anxious for some great new restaurants in mid-town!

I also drove in Wednesday night, about 8 p.m. I followed a SUV in my Forrester, perhaps that was Architect.

Regarding tenant location, Lewis & Clark Outfitters is in the east building across from the University Ave entrance (not C St). The Childrens Place is north and adjacent to L&C. I am guessing that Wild Oats will fill out this building in the corner space south of L&C.

I hope Strode doesn't take too long to build the fifth building on this site.

I also drove in Wednesday night, about 8 p.m. I followed a SUV in my Forrester, perhaps that was Architect.

Regarding tenant location, Lewis & Clark Outfitters is in the east building across from the University Ave entrance (not C St). The Childrens Place is north and adjacent to L&C. I am guessing that Wild Oats will fill out this building in the corner space south of L&C.

I hope Strode doesn't take too long to build the fifth building on this site.

While my wife drives an SUV, we were actually in my silver BMW around 6:15 or so...

I've been lurking a few weeks just to get a feel for this forum. I am very excited about the prospects for Midtown Little Rock as you can tell by my screen name I am a resident of Midtown. The possibilties for a wonderful urban park in War Memorial and the prospects for redevelopment of the University Mall site are endless. I, too, would like for complete demolition of University and probably several of its outparcels such as the existing Bank of America and now-closed Bennigans. Streets could be reintroduced and create a genuine mixed-use urban development of retail, office and residential. I don't think Simon properties is the right developer for this combination of uses, however.

And with both St. Vincent campuses there, many of those workers may consider housing there so they can walk to work.

Another component I wouldn't mind seeing in the development is a hotel. It could work with St. Vincent, UAMS and UALR nearby along with the Zoo and War Memorial Park/Stadium. The retail component would be a natural attraction for anyone wanting to stay there. The only hotels in the area are the Hilton, Guesthouse Inn, Laquinta Inn and Markham Inn and Suites. It would be good for the city as well since it is trying to bring in more and larger conventions. More hotels will be needed and the area could support a hotel once the Park Plaza renovations, Midtowne and the new UM or whatever come online.

I think a hotel would work nicely there.

There is a tremendous demand for hotel rooms in the area because of UAMS, Children's, and St Vincent's - all of which but particularly the first two frequently have guests from other parts of the state as well as distant states.

I drove by this weekend as well, architect, and saw the same things. The only knock I have thus far is that the shops don't have street frontage. In general I think that's a poor way to build but it seems the elevation of the property makes it difficult to design any way other than this enclosed appearance.

We drove through the shopping center last night and my wife pointed out that J. Jill was putting up signage. Since this store is affiliated with J. Crew, and the two are often paired together in the same shopping centers, I'm hoping to see J Crew there as well.

Also, this may be buried in a thread that I haven't found, but what improvements is Park Plaza making with this $13 Million?

We drove through the shopping center last night and my wife pointed out that J. Jill was putting up signage. Since this store is affiliated with J. Crew, and the two are often paired together in the same shopping centers, I'm hoping to see J Crew there as well.

Also, this may be buried in a thread that I haven't found, but what improvements is Park Plaza making with this $13 Million?

I was trying to figure out why I saw a large crane in the parking lot in front of the center last weekend.

They are making considerable general interior renovations and converting the lower floor movie theater to usable space. Supposedly they are going to add some exterior space to the mall as well, though that's not really very clear to me and it can't be a large amount. I know at least one new store will be accessible only from the exterior of the mall. There's a diagram somewhere on here with the a drawing of the chandeliers, elevators, etc post-renovation.

I was trying to figure out why I saw a large crane in the parking lot in front of the center last weekend.

They are making considerable general interior renovations and converting the lower floor movie theater to usable space. Supposedly they are going to add some exterior space to the mall as well, though that's not really very clear to me and it can't be a large amount. I know at least one new store will be accessible only from the exterior of the mall. There's a diagram somewhere on here with the a drawing of the chandeliers, elevators, etc post-renovation.

Thanks Apork. I'll see if I can find the diagram showing the PP improvements.

Does anyone know how they are going to make the unused theatre space accessible?

I was down in the food court looking around the area where it used to be a few days ago. I noticed that they had completed the tile, straight up to the wall (the one with the broadway play signs). Early on I just assumed that's where access would be.

Does anyone know how they are going to make the unused theatre space accessible?

I was down in the food court looking around the area where it used to be a few days ago. I noticed that they had completed the tile, straight up to the wall (the one with the broadway play signs). Early on I just assumed that's where access would be.

Huh? There's an entrance to the parking deck on the bottom floor right next to Forbidden City adjacent to where the theater used to be.

Huh? There's an entrance to the parking deck on the bottom floor right next to Forbidden City adjacent to where the theater used to be.

I believe he is asking about access to the unused theater space from inside the mall. I was in the mall this past sunday and was wondering the same thing. There's space for several more stores between the athletic store and the parking deck, but no sign of any modifications which would allow for use of this space.