Midtowne Little Rock

Cool, thanks for the pic.

This looks like a nice urban project, is in the middle of a few mid-rises?

It's Park Plaza Mall, LR's upscale mall that's been there in some form or another since the 60s.

There are a few mid-rises around. Plaza West is an office building directly behind the mall between it and Catholic High. I would guess it is around 12 stories or so. Doctor's Building by St Vincent's Doctor's Hospital by University Mall is probably around 9-10 stories.

It's Park Plaza Mall, LR's upscale mall that's been there in some form or another since the 60s.

There are a few mid-rises around. Plaza West is an office building directly behind the mall between it and Catholic High. I would guess it is around 12 stories or so. Doctor's Building by St Vincent's Doctor's Hospital by University Mall is probably around 9-10 stories.

"The Summit" apartment house at 14 floors or so is next to Plaza West directly across from the Park Plaza parking deck - both bordering the north side of the mall. Directly south across the street (Markham) from Park Plaza is an 8-10 story mid-rise apartment buidling as well. Considering all of the constructs from the Markham intersection south on University to I-630 (1 mile?), I would estimate a total of 10-12 mid-rise buildings (University Tower at 12, Freeway Medical at 9, etc...that add to the mix).

Given all the "growth" out west, it pales in comparison to the density and urban scale of the growth and development of University corridor in the late 60's early 70's. Its quite nice.

"The Summit" apartment house at 14 floors or so is next to Plaza West directly across from the Park Plaza parking deck - both bordering the north side of the mall. Directly south across the street (Markham) from Park Plaza is an 8-10 story mid-rise apartment buidling as well. Considering all of the constructs from the Markham intersection south on University to I-630 (1 mile?), I would estimate a total of 10-12 mid-rise buildings (University Tower at 12, Freeway Medical at 9, etc...that add to the mix).

Given all the "growth" out west, it pales in comparison to the density and urban scale of the growth and development of University corridor in the late 60's early 70's. Its quite nice.

It's funny, there's a Jackson vs LR vs SBC skyline thread somewhere and the Midtown area of LR is comparable to Jackson's downtown. I guess you could also throw in the Arvest Building (or is that University Tower?) and the mid-rise office building at University and Cantrell whose name escapes me.

UAMS also has 3 10-12 story buildings clearly visible from there - ACRC, Jones Eye Center, and Stephens Center for Neurosciences and the hospital/education complez with multiple 7-9 story buildings.

I forgot about the Summit House, it always reminded me of the "filing cabinet for widows and young professionals" in Fight Club. I had some friends that lived there and it is quite nice. What's the other condo tower that's directly on Markham and Markham and University directly across from Park Plaza?

It's funny, there's a Jackson vs LR vs SBC skyline thread somewhere and the Midtown area of LR is comparable to Jackson's downtown. I guess you could also throw in the Arvest Building (or is that University Tower?) and the mid-rise office building at University and Cantrell whose name escapes me.

UAMS also has 3 10-12 story buildings clearly visible from there - ACRC, Jones Eye Center, and Stephens Center for Neurosciences and the hospital/education complez with multiple 7-9 story buildings.

I forgot about the Summit House, it always reminded me of the "filing cabinet for widows and young professionals" in Fight Club. I had some friends that lived there and it is quite nice. What's the other condo tower that's directly on Markham and Markham and University directly across from Park Plaza?

Yeah, I just found that thread the other day and found it quite interesting and agreed with all the assessments. In fact, I just posted a response yesterday. Jackson's skyline is sad.

ANNOUNCED TENANTS FROM DEVELOPER (STRODE)

Okay, I'm surprised that no one has posted this, and many of these were suspected and/or verified through plumbing submittal records, but here it is from the horse's mouth. Strode took out a full, back-page add on a recent special publication (by Arkansas Times) on Heights/Hillcrest.

Here are the named tenants:

Williams-Sonoma

Pottery Barn

Lewis & Clark Outfitters

Ann Taylor Loft

White House{sodEmoji.|}Black Market

Pei Wei Asian Diner

Harold's

Francesca's

The Children's Place

Starbucks

J. Jill

Chico's

JoS A Bank

RK Collections

Grammercy Square

Bombay Company

Wild Oats Natural Marketplace

and more....

Glad to see that Pei Wei is confirmed, but I'm still disappointed no Apple or Borders (which we knew - real strategic mistake in my opinion with no bookstore).

Okay, I'm surprised that no one has posted this, and many of these were suspected and/or verified through plumbing submittal records, but here it is from the horse's mouth. Strode took out a full, back-page add on a recent special publication (by Arkansas Times) on Heights/Hillcrest.

Williams-Sonoma

Pottery Barn

Lewis & Clark Outfitters

Ann Taylor Loft

Pei Wei Asian Diner

Harold's

Francesca's

The Children's Place

Starbucks

J. Jill

Chico's

JoS A Bank

RK Collections

Grammercy Square

Bombay Company

and more....

Glad to see that Pei Wei is confirmed, but I'm still disappointed no Apple or Borders (which we knew - real strategic mistake in my opinion with no bookstore).

I'm excited about some of these tenants. Can't wait for it to open

Williams-Sonoma

Pottery Barn

Lewis & Clark Outfitters

Ann Taylor Loft

Pei Wei Asian Diner

Harold's

Francesca's

The Children's Place

Starbucks

J. Jill

Chico's

JoS A Bank

RK Collections

Grammercy Square

Bombay Company

and more....

Wild Oats is a great store, I'm glad to see one is coming to Midtowne. They're just as good as Whole Foods, IMO.

Midtowne is going to really compliment Park Plaza. I wouldn't want to be in the area around Christmas time.

I was also hoping that Borders Books would open in Midtowne. Guess we can still hold out hope since it did say and more to come.

Yes, I would rather have seen Borders in the larger tenant space than Lewis & Clark. Perhaps they'll reconsider and put in a location in one of the outparcels at the SE corner? Of course, that would limit restaurant options.

Yes, I would rather have seen Borders in the larger tenant space than Lewis & Clark. Perhaps they'll reconsider and put in a location in one of the outparcels at the SE corner? Of course, that would limit restaurant options.

Maybe if University's redeveloped one will go there, or maybe that's the exterior access only tenant at Park Plaza.

Either way, if you're looking for a location for a bookstore in LR that's the perfect place. UALR and UAMS are close by and the Heights and Hillcrest are the types of neighborhoods that would flock to a large bookstore. It was a mistake by Borders not to go into Midtowne.

According to the Arkansas Times, the new Starbucks has its grand opening today (Sept. 1). I'm surprised they would open anything in the center with so much work left to do on the other stores. I agree about Borders being a perfect fit for Midtowne but there isn't enough room left and I don't think Park Plaza would add it as there is already a Brentano's bookstore in that mall.

According to the Arkansas Times, the new Starbucks has its grand opening today (Sept. 1). I'm surprised they would open anything in the center with so much work left to do on the other stores. I agree about Borders being a perfect fit for Midtowne but there isn't enough room left and I don't think Park Plaza would add it as there is already a Brentano's bookstore in that mall.

The Starbucks did in fact open for business today. The Chicos store had mannequins in the windows.

Edited by LRU1967

The Starbucks did in fact open for business today. The Chicos store had mannequins in the windows.

My wife and I enjoyed mochas from Starbucks at the outside seating last night. Once you are inside the development, it is hard to tell that you are at the corner of Markham and University. We walked the entire development and enjoyed it. We tried to imagine the place decorated for holiday shopping. Also, the opening of C St works well.

A couple of observations...

One) If the Wild Oats is going into one of the existing buildings, it has to be the corner spot on the east building. Looking at that space, I am concerned about the size of the store. It seems too small.

Two) Both Restoration Hardware and Crate and Barrel were rumored as tenants for this project. I don't think that is going to happen now. I do believe securing one of these two tenants and a Borders/Barnes and Nobles would go a long way to securing the competitive advantage of Midtowne.

My wife and I enjoyed mochas from Starbucks at the outside seating last night. Once you are inside the development, it is hard to tell that you are at the corner of Markham and University. We walked the entire development and enjoyed it. We tried to imagine the place decorated for holiday shopping. Also, the opening of C St works well.

One) If the Wild Oats is going into one of the existing buildings, it has to be the corner spot on the east building. Looking at that space, I am concerned about the size of the store. It seems too small.

Two) Both Restoration Hardware and Crate and Barrel were rumored as tenants for this project. I don't think that is going to happen now. I do believe securing one of these two tenants and a Borders/Barnes and Nobles would go a long way to securing the competitive advantage of Midtowne.

I haven't really been inside the development yet. Is there any potential for a "Phase II" expansion?

I haven't really been inside the development yet. Is there any potential for a "Phase II" expansion?

The plan is for five buildings. Four of them have been constructed. The fifth will be located on the southeast corner of the project. There appears to be room for a large building there. I have no idea when Strode plans to begin work on that building.

Wild Oats will be in the out parcel, along the south side of the development, which just under construction now. I drove up today and it looks like they are preparing to pour the slab. Jim Strode personally told me that they kept changing their designs and finally just submitted final plans within the last month or so. He also said all but one space is leased.

Wild Oats will be in the out parcel, along the south side of the development, which just under construction now. I drove up today and it looks like they are preparing to pour the slab. Jim Strode personally told me that they kept changing their designs and finally just submitted final plans within the last month or so. He also said all but one space is leased.

Thanks nandle.

How'd you happen upon Mr. Strode?

Please clarify 'out parcel, along south side of the development'. Is this building 5? The building that doesn't exist yet?

There is a tenant space in building 4 that anchors the corner and has not had the slab poured yet. As I posted earlier, if this is the Wild Oats space, it seems small.

I forgot that Crate and Barrel and Restoration Hardware were suppose to be a part of this development. I wonder if they are looking at Plesant Ridge or Shackleford Crossing or are they going to skip the market all together.

Williams-Sonoma

Pottery Barn

Lewis & Clark Outfitters

Ann Taylor Loft

Pei Wei Asian Diner

Harold's

Francesca's

The Children's Place

Starbucks

J. Jill

Chico's

JoS A Bank

RK Collections

Grammercy Square

Bombay Company

and more....

Why no clothing stores geared toward teens-early 20's? I would love to see an Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Forever 21, etc. Kind of a let-down if those stores aren't there, or ones like it.

Why no clothing stores geared toward teens-early 20's? I would love to see an Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Forever 21, etc. Kind of a let-down if those stores aren't there, or ones like it.

I could see those being a much better fit for the newly renovated Park Plaza, as the teens would prefer to hang out there with the existing stores that appeal to them (Gap, Abercrombie, etc.). They're not hanging out at Harold's, Pottery Barn or Williams Sonoma.

I could see those being a much better fit for the newly renovated Park Plaza, as the teens would prefer to hang out there with the existing stores that appeal to them (Gap, Abercrombie, etc.). They're not hanging out at Harold's, Pottery Barn or Williams Sonoma.

I agree. My wife likes those stores and we badly need one. Charlotte Russe is another one that's conspicuously absent in Little Rock. If Park Plaza had an extra 150,000 SF we'd have all of these stores. This is part of why I think we'll see another big retail project slanted towards upscale mall tenants. There are still a lot of stores a market this size should have that we don't because of lack of space.

Maybe Park Plaza will get some of these retailers in the new retail space being created where the movie theater once was.