Midtowne Little Rock

• 6 months later...

Demo work has started on the former Brandon House building located at 12th and University. Plans for the property are for  commercial or mixed use. It will be interesting to see what happens with this property. At one time there were plans to build a highrise on this property but the local residents raised hell and the Brandon House building was built.

• 1 month later...

Demo work has started on the former Brandon House building located at 12th and University. Plans for the property are for  commercial or mixed use. It will be interesting to see what happens with this property. At one time there were plans to build a highrise on this property but the local residents raised hell and the Brandon House building was built.

Brandon House is now a giant hole in the ground.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Democrat-Gazette reported last week that the Clarion Hotel was sold for $5 million because the previous owner filed for bankruptcy.  The new owner said that he will soon decide specific plans for the hotel including what franchise he plans to affiliate with and that a capital injection was needed.  The new owner also acknowledged that the occupancy rate has gone down since it has been rebranded a Clarion Hotel. Hopefully the new owner will invest the money and go with a better franchise than Clarion.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Plumbing permit issued for Slim Chickens at 7415 Cantrell. That's the location of the former Arkansas a Gold Exchange, Tandy, and Shipley Donuts.

Has anybody noticed what a ghetto Cantrell Road has become between Mississippi and N. Hughes?

Some of that has to do with the widening of the street, which I think has taken longer than any road project in Little Rock, even the Big Rock exchange.

Some of that has to do with the widening of the street, which I think has taken longer than any road project in Little Rock, even the Big Rock exchange.

There seems to be a plethora of empty buildings.  Firestone has built a new building and the old one is now an eyesore.  Ken Rash moved to a new location and the old building sits there empty.  The former liquor store near Hughes was torn down and it's a dirt lot.  

I realize the road is being widened but it seems as if the area has just deteriorated a bit.  

There seems to be a plethora of empty buildings.  Firestone has built a new building and the old one is now an eyesore.  Ken Rash moved to a new location and the old building sits there empty.  The former liquor store near Hughes was torn down and it's a dirt lot.  

I realize the road is being widened but it seems as if the area has just deteriorated a bit.  

I live in the area and I agree; the stretch from the cantrell/mississippi intersection to hughes just looks bad.  I know construction contributes to that but seems that will never end.  I hope something is done with these buildings.  I am glad something is coming in with the addition of slim chickens; I have heard it is going to be a corporate store so hopefully it is pretty nice.

Wasn't Ken Rash forced to move because of the widening? I think that's why the shopping center where Slim Chickens is going was emptied out, too. The configuration will have to be different so the old building has to be torn down.

Yes that is right.  I know the owners of that pizza shop, that was located in the shopping center, moved out do to the coming change.  

• 4 weeks later...

They have placed the Slim Chickens coming soon sign at the corner of Mississippi and Cantrell.  I don't know when construction will start, it appears the road crew is using the lot to store some of their equipment, maybe they are waiting for the road to finish up?  I live pretty close to this intersection and love Slim's so I'm excited for the food but afraid of what this will do to my waistline.  :P

They have placed the Slim Chickens coming soon sign at the corner of Mississippi and Cantrell.  I don't know when construction will start, it appears the road crew is using the lot to store some of their equipment, maybe they are waiting for the road to finish up?  I live pretty close to this intersection and love Slim's so I'm excited for the food but afraid of what this will do to my waistline.  :P

I do like Slim's pretty well, and their fried pickles are just the best.  But, I much prefer Zaxby's - their signature sauce is just to die for.  Why Zaxby's RINGS Little Rock, but doesn't officially locate in the city is a mystery to me.  They left the door open for Slim's.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Arkansas Business is reporting that a Staybridge Suites will be built on the former Brandon House property. This has been rumored now there is confirmation.

Meanwhile, down the street, the renovation/conversion of the Clarion into the Four Points by Sheraton continues. 

Edited by theman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Heartland25 said:

Looks like Northwest Arkansas and dozens of other small-mid sized markets may be getting Top Golf. No mention of Little Rock unfortunately. I think one would do well around midtown or near the outlets. 

Here's the article which listed targeted locations for Top Golf.  Top Golf Expansion sites.  The locations are:

New Orleans and Baton Rouge, La.; Huntsville, Ala.; northwest Arkansas; Providence, R.I.; Ft. Myers/Naples, Fla.; Greenville, S.C.; Albuquerque, N.M.; McAllen and El Paso, Texas and more.