Midtowne Little Rock

It must be something else, I dont think Summit Mall is still on the table at all..

I believe it is called "Shackleford Crossing" and is being developed as a "Power Center" by Clary Development. A "Power Center" is considered as one-tier down from a "Lifestyle Center" like MidTowne or Pleasant Ridge. It will have stores like a Wal-Mart Super Center, Sears, Babie-R-Us, etc. Carraba's Italian Grill is also a tenant.

I believe it is called "Shackleford Crossing" and is being developed as a "Power Center" by Clary Development. A "Power Center" is considered as one-tier down from a "Lifestyle Center" like MidTowne or Pleasant Ridge. It will have stores like a Wal-Mart Super Center, Sears, Babie-R-Us, etc. Carraba's Italian Grill is also a tenant.

I always thought "Power Center" referred to the big box anchors. I knew Sears was looking to move West and I'm eager to see what's planned for the current Sears property by Doctor's Hospital. I heard Target wants in central LR desperately and I know St Vincent's wants more medical office space. I didn't know Wal-Mart was a planned anchor at Shackleford Crossing, does that mean they're closing the one next to Sam's at Chenal and Bowman? If so, what in the world would go there? I can't see a big empty space there long.

Where does Penney's fit in? I know they wanted to move to one of the new West LR developments badly.

Skirby, I think Bass Pro and North Hills will only help McCain. The retail corridor out there is the most impressive in Arkansas by far and the more they add, the more it's a destination.

Of course, Midtown LR is smaller but takes a more upscale slant, which is fine as well.

I always thought "Power Center" referred to the big box anchors. I knew Sears was looking to move West and I'm eager to see what's planned for the current Sears property by Doctor's Hospital. I heard Target wants in central LR desperately and I know St Vincent's wants more medical office space. I didn't know Wal-Mart was a planned anchor at Shackleford Crossing, does that mean they're closing the one next to Sam's at Chenal and Bowman? If so, what in the world would go there? I can't see a big empty space there long.

Where does Penney's fit in? I know they wanted to move to one of the new West LR developments badly.

Skirby, I think Bass Pro and North Hills will only help McCain. The retail corridor out there is the most impressive in Arkansas by far and the more they add, the more it's a destination.

Of course, Midtown LR is smaller but takes a more upscale slant, which is fine as well.

Yes, it will have more big-box retailers that Midtowne or Pleasant Ridge as I mentioned. It also decidedly more maintstream in its offerings.

Yes, it will have more big-box retailers that Midtowne or Pleasant Ridge as I mentioned. It also decidedly more maintstream in its offerings.

Thanks for posting this stuff, I'm out of town and therefore out of the loop.

Do you know what will happen to the Wal-Mart next to Sam's at Bowman and Chenal? I can't see why they would keep it open with two Supercenters located so close by. I was assuming WM just wanted a new store that included a full grocery section.

I could see that site becoming a Lowe's. It's bizarre that there is no home improvement store in central Little Rock and only two in the city itself - Home Depots in West LR and Southwest LR. Lowe's has ringed the city by building in the suburbs but doesn't have any stores in the city. I remember when HQ closed and that building became Garden Ridge, prior to that at least you had two choices. I would love to see one near the midtown area but where on earth would it go?

Any schematics or elevations for Shackleford Crossing? I read one article stating that it would be 900,000 SF last Nov and another somewhere listing it at 650,000 SF. Any idea on which it will be and any word on other tenant's?

It's odd, but I swear the biggest legitimate argument against the Summit Mall was that Shackleford and the exit and overpass couldn't handle the additional traffic of the mall. If no infrastructure improvements are being made, it doesn't just make a hell of a lot of sense to build a center with that much big box retail as opposed to the initially proposed center.

I guess Simon's out of the loop now, and they're going to punish us by leaving University to rot.

Toys R Us suprises me, aren't they having financial troubles?

It's about time LR got a Red Robin, NWA has two of them up here. Can't wait to hear more tenants.

They are closing stores in smaller markets but are opening some in larger ones. They lost a lot of share to Wal-Mart and Target but in LR like a lot of other more urban markets I think they tend to fare better because the discount stores are kind of difficult to get in and out of. Toys-R-Us is favoring its Babies-R-Us retail stores which seem to be doing better and have higher profit margins and I expect the new store would be a Babies-R-Us as architect mentioned or that the Toys-R-Us on Financial Centre Pkwy just a couple of miles away would be converted to a Babies-R-Us.

Looking at the map it seems Red Robin is just making inroads into the South with almost all of their locations being on the West Coast or in the midwest and only a handful in NC and Texas in the South and none in the Southern states of TN, LA, MS, GA, SC, FL, KY, and AL. There's supposed to be another Red Robin location going in the Pleasant Ridge Town Centre on Cantrell in West LR as well, though that would be several miles away. They seem to be expanding regionally as opposed to going into the larger markets first.

There are a couple of them in DFW and they are really just coming into this market as well but I'll make a point to try one sometime. It's going to have to be one good burger to keep me away from Cotham's or Buffalo Grill when I move back to LR, though.

Edited by Aporkalypse

It's odd, but I swear the biggest legitimate argument against the Summit Mall was that Shackleford and the exit and overpass couldn't handle the additional traffic of the mall. If no infrastructure improvements are being made, it doesn't just make a hell of a lot of sense to build a center with that much big box retail as opposed to the initially proposed center.

My understanding is that the developers supposedly were going to entirely fund the Shackleford overpass/interchange widening and improvements. When the City of LR will start, I'm not sure.

I have heard that if the walmart supercenter is built at shacklefod crossing that the walmart on chenal will close down. I have not heard of any possible replacements but would be interested if anyone else has heard anything. I also heard that pier one would move if wal mart left. As far as the old Just for Feet building in that same complex, I have heard rumors that Bowman Fitness Center may want to expand to that location. Bowman Fitness would possibly only take half of that building leaving the other half for someone else. Also, has anyone heard anything about the corner lot on Bowman and Kanis. There is some land there for development but I have not heard anything or seen signs?

My understanding is that the developers supposedly were going to entirely fund the Shackleford overpass/interchange widening and improvements. When the City of LR will start, I'm not sure.

I remember that was supposed to be prohibitively expensive at the time of the Summit Mall. Thanks, that answers my question with the best possible answer.

I would doubt Pier One would leave such a prime location in West LR but there are lots of possibilities with a shopping center in that prime location. That's a much better site than Mega-Market and Service Merchandise had and when those companies went bankrupt good stores came in to replace them.

I wonder when chains like 24 Hour fitness or LA Fitness will make their way into LR. It seems like it's just a matter of time.

Toys R Us suprises me, aren't they having financial troubles?

It's about time LR got a Red Robin, NWA has two of them up here. Can't wait to hear more tenants.

I agree. I've been to Red Robin in Scottsdale, AZ and it's not bad. But the restaurant I wish would come to Little Rock is Johnny Rockets. I love that place. Great burgers and shakes.

I agree. I've been to Red Robin in Scottsdale, AZ and it's not bad. But the restaurant I wish would come to Little Rock is Johnny Rockets. I love that place. Great burgers and shakes.

Man I love that place, straight outta the 50's. I've eaten at the one in the Colorado Mills Mall.

Aren't there just like 1 or 2 in those places? The only one in DFW is in Arlington.

Yeah, the STL Metro has two, and the rest in Texas are in San Marcos (Austin Metro), San Antonio, and two in Houston Metro Area.

Of course Dallas may not have as much as Houston and other markets like it's self because it is home to Brinker International (Chili's, Macaroni Grill, On the Border, Maggiano's Little Italy) and Carlson Restaurants Worldwide (TGI Friday's). I don't think it's the underlying factor, but they do make up a very large marketshare in the DFW Metro.

Yeah, the STL Metro has two, and the rest in Texas are in San Marcos (Austin Metro), San Antonio, and two in Houston Metro Area.

Of course Dallas may not have as much as Houston and other markets like it's self because it is home to Brinker International (Chili's, Macaroni Grill, On the Border, Maggiano's Little Italy) and Carlson Restaurants Worldwide (TGI Friday's). I don't think it's the underlying factor, but they do make up a very large marketshare in the DFW Metro.

Johnny Rocket's main competition is the plethora of fast food hamburger chains down here. In addition to the usual suspects down here Whataburger is very popular and there are variety of popular local chains such as Jake's that would make it tough for places like Johnny Rocket's to get a toehold. Even in the upscale hamburger world chains like Snuffer's and Purple Cow make it tough for places like Red Robin. The Dallas restaurant market is ultra-competitive.

I'm going to miss living in a city where they have places like Nobu.

The closest locations are in St. Louis, Dallas Metro Area, and Nashville.

There's also one in Birmingham that's been there quite a while - almost 10 years when my wife and I went through. Its in a cool part of town south of the CBC near UAB called five-points south or something similar.

will the little rock market ever get jack in the box or taco cabana or boston market or chipotle?

Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, and Qdoba are sure to come to LR, they're popping up all over in NWA.

Boston Market looks like a perfect restaurant for LR, they have one in Springfield.

Didn't know that I would cause so much discussion on Johnny Rockets. Seems to be a fav of a lot of people.

Moe's Southwest Grill already has a location in NLR and I heard the guy who owns it on the radio the other day. He said he plans to have a location opened in Little Rock later this year in the Highway 10 corridor.

Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, and Qdoba are sure to come to LR, they're popping up all over in NWA.

Boston Market looks like a perfect restaurant for LR, they have one in Springfield.

There's already a Moe's in NLR and the second will be in West LR soon.

I couldn't care much about any of these aside from Boston Market. That's my favorite fast food place because the veggies are good and you can actually eat healthy there.

Jack in the Box has saturated Texas and is infiltrating Oklahoma, Arkansas is no doubt next.

Taco Cabana is really a regional restaurant mostly in Texas and the Southwest but I hope Arkansas and Oklahoma are in their expansion plan. I vastly prefer it to all the fast food and "fast casual" Mexican chains out there.

Off Topic to Aporkalypse. I have read your responses at Arkansas Times in regards to Hillcrest crime. Hope you do move back to The Rock as we do need progressive citizens who care about their community and want to improve it.

Edited by diatom

Off Topic to Aporkalypse. I have read your responses at Arkansas Times in regards to Hillcrest crime. Hope you do move back to The Rock as we do need progressive citizens who care about their community and want to improve it.

I already have signed a contract, I'll be there in July. I'll try to find a niche to become active in the community, not sure what it will be yet. I'm not politically inclined but I would like to find a way to push the people that are in the right direction.

I already have signed a contract, I'll be there in July. I'll try to find a niche to become active in the community, not sure what it will be yet. I'm not politically inclined but I would like to find a way to push the people that are in the right direction.

Great to hear, so what hospital are you going to work at?