Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

Hope Lodge

Money is being raised to build a Hope Lodge across the street from the Lack's Cancer Center at St. Mary's, and $4.8 of the $6.8 million needed has already been garnered. These are lodging facilities catering to family members of Cancer patients, and run by the American Cancer Society. It's a pretty cool looking 4 story building (on the 2nd page of the Region section today), and it's an invaluable service for these people:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5900.xml&coll=6

Are they building on a surface lot or knocking one of their older office buildings down? St. Mary's is starting to look pretty nice with their recent investments. It used to look like a jail. Actually, Kent County's jail is nicer looking than a lot of buildings around. ;)

Joe

Money is being raised to build a Hope Lodge across the street from the Lack's Cancer Center at St. Mary's, and $4.8 of the $6.8 million needed has already been garnered. These are lodging facilities catering to family members of Cancer patients, and run by the American Cancer Society. It's a pretty cool looking 4 story building (on the 2nd page of the Region section today), and it's an invaluable service for these people:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5900.xml&coll=6

They are tearing down the old nursing student dorms. (I believe it's called Xavier hall.)

Don't mean to be argumentative eagle, but Xavier Hall is going to be torn down for the new Neurosciences Center for St. Mary's. This project (Hope Lodge) is more the size of the Renucci Hospitality House behind Spectrum, and the article mentions that it will be RIGHT across the street from the new Lack's Cancer Center. If I had my guess, based on the picture, it will be one of these three spots:

72444542_b9f480f195.jpg

The elevation they show is long, with decorative facades on the front and left side. The left end is 4 story, and the other half is 2-3 stories. It's not a huge project, but it's kinda nice looking. Has more of a "craftsman" look than the Renucci building. Sorry, don't have a scanner handy. They would probably have to tear down the old apartment building to the East if that's where it is going.

Right, I knew it wasn't Xavier Hall because of the Neurosciences building. There is an ugly '60s office building across from the Cancer Center. I hope this gets KO'd for the Lodge.

Please post a picture when you do have a scanner handy!

Joe

Here ya go Joe. The best I can do without a scanner ;) :

72845147_a29ce31989.jpg

I like the bumped out bays on the corner of the upper floors (<on the left) similar to the building where Catholic Secondary Schools is on Division, or Horseshoe Bar.

Boy, I was wrong on my estimation of where this would be located. It will be here at the corner of Cherry & Jefferson (next to Cherry Street Lofts apparently).

74837213_4ef913107d.jpg

Design work by Design+. There is a better rendering in this week's Business Journal (hopefully posted on-line tomorrow). Now if St Mary's would just relinquish some parking lots around that area :whistling:

75238363_40c73ad9b8.jpg

Should be a nice addition to the neighborhood. Infill!!

Why can't anyone else design buildings that look like that?!?!

I'm glad to see news on this project. They have an application in to demolish an old garage on the site to make way for the project.

ITEM 5F

210925034_7c0d1169d8_o.jpg

I like this design.

Looks like the city approved the new Neurosciences building, the Hope Lodge, as well as the demolition of Xavier Hall. Cherry and Jefferson are on the up and up...

You know when you see Pitsch on site, demolition has officially begun. These are the existing buildings on the site, an old garage and a St Mary's Health Service bldg. Good riddance.

258927568_42f7ace2dd_b.jpg

258927563_c8686c9838_b.jpg

Groundbreaking today for newest addition to "medical hill"

Oops, apparently the writer doesn't know where "Health Care Hill" is. :dontknow:

This must be why both structures were pretty much gone by Sunday afternoon.

Lodge to ease cancer care - GR Press

Between the cancer centers at Saint Mary's Health and Spectrum Health and studies at Van Andel Research Institute, 3,800 patients come to the area for cancer care each year. About one in four of those patients need a place to stay.

"The idea that Grand Rapids is becoming a center for research and cancer care begged the question, 'Why isn't there (a Hope Lodge) here?'" Merlotti said.

Has any body else noticed the lack of workers on the site? I was over there last week and there was only like 4 or 5 people there working.