Favorite Grocery store?

perrykat

Grocery Stores  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Favorite Grocery Store?

• BI-LO
    • Ingles
    • Super Wal-Mart
    • Publix
    • Food Lion
    • Earth Fare
    • Garner's Natural Market

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta be Publix! They have the best bakery of all grocers, hands down! I wish they'd build more of them here. Second place to me is Ingle's.

I go to Bi-Lo only if I need something real quick. I do wish Harris Teeter would come back to the Upstate.

The Earth Fares, Fresh Markets & Whole Foods of the world are more of "specialty" grocers, so I don't really count them.

Publix has been one of my favorites since I first moved to Florida, back in 1985 (even though I worked for a direct competitor, Gooding's Supermarkets, while in High School and College). From these choices, Publix gets my vote hands-down. :thumbsup:

Another one that I really love is The Fresh Market! :wub:

In June of 2000, Gooding's Supermarkets, Inc. sold 14 of its 17 stores to Winn Dixie with the exceptions being the three "tourist stores" which had traditionally brought in the profit: International Drive, Lake Buena Vista, and Clebration.

The store on International Drive was fairly nice,; however, it's currently being remodeled and was an absolute mess inside when I was there back in October.

For a real treat, you should have seen the Bay Hill Store on Sand Lake Road. It was pretty special: Tanks with Live Fish in the Seafood Department; a Wine Cellar with a Full Time Sommelier and Wine Porters; an incredible Meat Department with exotic meats; a superb gourmet delicatessen with made-to-order fresh pizzas, a cesar salad cart staffed during the lunch hours to prepare fresh cesar salads. ... I wish I had some photos to show you. It was an awesome store. Today, it's a Home Goods store. :shok:

Today, Gooding's concentrates primarily on its catering business; however, I've heard that they are looking to expand the chain again, which is why they're remodeling the three existing stores.

In June of 2000, Gooding's Supermarkets, Inc. sold 14 of its 17 stores to Winn Dixie with the exceptions being the three "tourist stores" which had traditionally brought in the profit: International Drive, Lake Buena Vista, and Clebration.

The store on International Drive was fairly nice,; however, it's currently being remodeled and was an absolute mess inside when I was there back in October.

For a real treat, you should have seen the Bay Hill Store on Sand Lake Road. It was pretty special: Tanks with Live Fish in the Seafood Department; a Wine Cellar with a Full Time Sommelier and Wine Porters; an incredible Meat Department with exotic meats; a superb gourmet delicatessen with made-to-order fresh pizzas, a cesar salad cart staffed during the lunch hours to prepare fresh cesar salads. ... I wish I had some photos to show you. It was an awesome store. Today, it's a Home Goods store. :shok:

Today, Gooding's concentrates primarily on its catering business; however, I've heard that they are looking to expand the chain again, which is why they're remodeling the three existing stores.

Heard there was a WholeFoods coming to Greenville. It is a bit pricey, but wonderful selection

• 2 weeks later...

Publix, no question. I don't go there as much as I'd like, as its not wirth driving a 40-45 min round trip just for groceries

Mighty tempting though! :D Publix on Pelham Road has achieved supermarket greatness in customer service. The only thing I don't like much is that there are no cart returns in the parking lot. It's only a minor complaint.

Mighty tempting though! :D Publix on Pelham Road has achieved supermarket greatness in customer service. The only thing I don't like much is that there are no cart returns in the parking lot. It's only a minor complaint.

Traditionally, Publix doesn't have cart returns. The bagboys are supposed to keep the lots clear. Some Publix's do have them now, and that's a very recent development for this chain.

Archived