Newbie here would love to see pix of Nashville

xstefaniex

LOL! Publix is an upscale grocer that is from Lakeland (Miami), Florida. They have several locations thorughout Nashville with about 30 more coming in the next two or three years. Not your typical Ralph's or Albertson's.

BTW, my wife and I used to work in radio in Nashville, the music biz is a crazy place, But it is the ride of a lifetime. If I could get back into it, I would at the drop of a hat.

Now.

This address is a bit more exclusive. The neighborhood is nice, the parks are impressive and the schools are terrific in this part of town.

8208 W Chase Ct

Nashville, TN 37221

*My choice

As for this one, it is good too. If I had to choose though, it would be the Chase Court addy. Just an all around better 'hood. This is closer to an Interstate so the travel to and fro is a bit less "local roadish".

7508 Oak Haven Trce

Nashville, TN 37209

The terrain around both of them is outstanding and the travel times would average about the same for where you most likely would be going (West End).

The first one, Chase Court, is close to the Natchez Trace Parkway. One of the most spliendid roads in the south, IMO.

The climate is a close to Dallas/Ft. Worth minus the oppressive heat and the funky snowstorms in Janurary, LOL! It does get hot, but not THAT hot, usually.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we at least changed our laws so you can buy beer at 10:00 a.m. on Sundays (instead of noon) after the NFL arrived. It was too much of a time crunch getting out of church and being able to stop for beer to have on the way to the stadium.

Good Lord, Nashville's gone to hell for sure! :(

As I said earlier, in most of Minnesota, beer is only sold at liquor stores with restricted hours. I'm still bumfuzzled by that--no beer in grocery stores or your local 7-11. Hard to believe.

Music biz. Good, the more the merrier, I say. It's fun to run into people like Michael McDonald, Donna Summer, some actors etc (like Kenny and Renee at Maggie Moo's ... before they came to their senses). Keith Urban and Nicole K. will be around a lot. Watch out for Kid Rock. He has a place on West End...wear you're seatbelt when he's in town, lol. I read that Tom Cruise even has a house at Brentwood's Governor's Club...at least he can go to church on Music Row at the Scientology Celebrity Center (go figure). See, a little L.A. with a twang.

I did the music biz thing for a long time, but it's been a while now. Those lunches at the Gold Rush were storied. Sometimes we'd end up in Columbus, Ohio listening to bands and no one could remember who drove. Long time ago, people, LONG time ago. I'm still here, sober beyond reason. I worked in music publishing and headed up a group of rowdies to promote Nashville as a multi-genre entertainment center. That's a been a while too. I then moved to NYC to work in publishing there. It was a wild ride even through my years as a graphic artist for a majority of record company clients. It all seems so long ago now...even though my daily life still involves names like Paramount, Dreamworks, Disney, Warner, MGM, Sony...and oodles of studios you'll never hear of. Movies, this time, though for 12 years now. I do miss the music, but the Row can certainly take a toll on you. I need the peace. lol

37221, the Bellevue area. I love it over here. It's so calm and quiet. It's a nice little get away from the busy core area. IMO it is the only true suburb within the county limits. It just feels like a small town. It's not entirly laid back, but life does seem to slow down quite a bit. Traffic is no problem, you just have to watch out for cars that pull out right in front of you for no reason (drives me crazy, that one does). You want hills, we got plenty of them. The place where I live is in a valley, so it feels like I live in a forest. It is usually no surprise to step out and see a deer standing just five feet away. Speeking of forest, there are two beautiful parks over here, Edwin and Persy Warner. If you really want to get away from it all, just take a stroll through one of those, and life just seems to calm down to a snails pace. The only problem that I have with the area is that you will need your car to go from buisness to buisness. Things are a little spread out, but since traffic is not that bad this is not a problem. Everything you need taken care of is here, so you wouldn't have to drive too much. The mall is a joke, but plans are on the horizon to fix that. To top it off, Bellevue is more affordable then people give it credit for. Down the road in Belle Meade is where property starts to skyrocket. So, this would be my choice, and I have lived all over this town. Think I may settle down here. Ha

Hmm, music biz, do tell of what department? Just curious?

Tom Cruise in Brentwood? I just can't imagine!

My husband is a producer and musician, main instrument being guitar. He has a home studio so we would need to be in a neighborhood where he could make some noise and not be bothered by neighbors ;) That's another thing we will have to take into consideration. We currently live in commercial/residential property, and right next door to another studio so the noise has never been an issue.

Thanks so much everyone for all your help. As more questions arise, I'll be sure to post. And if anyone else has more pix to post, I would LOVE to see them!!

Stefanie

Found this on wikipedia:

An intersting note is that more Kurds call Nashville home than any other city outside of the Middle East, according to Vanderbilt University. The city has a large and active Kurdish neighborhood of more than 5,000 in the Nolensville Road area. During the Iraqi election of 2005, Nashville was one of the few international locations where Iraqi expatriates could vote. This kind of ethnic make-up is quite unusual for a southern American city and reflects Nashville's embracing atmosphere and "New-South" image.

So as far as diversity and open-mindedness goes, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

^Cold? Shoot, as a native Tennessean now living in Minnesota, well, you get the point . . . . during a February thaw once the temp breaks 35, the Norskes up here walk around in shorts and peel off their shirts. That's actually true! I've seen it. Most likely they're jacked up on prozac. :P

BTW Lexy--great shots.

Sleepy,

That's so funny - When I lived in Houston I had some good friends from Minnesota and they would tell me about how people would brush the snow off the their roofs and lay out in the sun in the winter.. we laughed about all the "pastey white Minnesotans" up there trying to get a little color (of course, this was pre-Prozac!!)...

Thanks for the funny memory!

David

Getting back to one of Stefanie's earlier questions, doesn't the topography of Nashville fascinate anyone? It does me for sure. The city actually has an offical height of around 500 feet above sea level, but the downtown sits on a hill in the middle of a river valley. Hills and bluffs surround the entire city. It is almost like sitting in a meteor crater, LOL!!

Look at this pic and you will see what I am saying.

1panosmaller.jpg

See the hills all aorund us??? Fascinating.

Ok - that is a kickass picture -- and I can even see my house!

It's funny you should mention that. We got home last night from visiting family out of town. Couldn't wait to get out on the balcony and sit and look at our fair city -- and I was thinking this very thing - how we're in this big valley or bowl and Nashville's like the shining city on a hill right in front of us..

David

• 3 weeks later...

One thing about our climate:

It will be hot and humid during the summer and there will be some cold, icy mornings during the winter. But it is not as bad as you would think. There are about 90 days on average, when the temperature goes above 90 and about 30 when the temp dips below freezing. That's 120 days leaving 245 days in the year when the weather is faily tolerable.

So when it is hot, we just stay indoors or in our cars (air conditioined of course) during the heat of the day. The mornings and late evenings are usually pleasant, so you can get out and walk or run and not feel too uncomfortable.

The wintertime disasters occur about once a decade. And they consist of maybe an ice storm that knocks out power for a few days or a mid day snowfall that gridlocks traffic for a few hours. As an aside, this is why the Grammy Awards won't come to Nashville. It seems the man who makes those decisions happened to be here on a winter's day when one of those snow storms hit. Since the grammies are awarded in mid-winter, he doesn't want to take the risk. But those conditions are as rare as the occaissional LA earthquake.

There are the storm and tornado warnings that have us glued to the sets on a spring or fall evening, but actual tornados are rare. We are hardy people and adjust to to weather conditions well. You seldom hear of weather related fatalities in this area.

We have four distinct seasons no doubt. You get to experience that first chilly morning when the leaves change and lets you know summer is over and the breezy, warm day in March when the grass begins to green and the forsythias burst out in yellow. You wake up on a January morning and the ground is covered in a white wet snow that sticks to the branches or you float down the Harpeth River in a canoe on a hot july afternoon cooling off with a dip in the river.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Wait a minute. Don't forget about the tornado of 1998 that blew straight through downtown. It is one of the are tornados on record that go through a major city's downtown. I was driving through Nashville that very day and saw the thunderhead to the west that produced that cell. We were 30 miles out of the city by the time the storm hit so we outran all of it, even the rain and didn't know it got that bad until we were back home here in GA and saw it on the NBC news. Below is a link to a small video. Other links are available.

http://www.cnn.com/WEATHER/9804/17/tornado...nado.39.1.4.mov

Wait a minute. Don't forget about the tornado of 1998 that blew straight through downtown.

I remember it well. I was right in the middle of it. Very exciting and scary.

I remember evacuating the high rise I was in and going out into the street that was filled with stunned people, broken glass, toppled light poles and overturned cars. I heard firetruck and ambulance sirens all over, but traffic couldn't move and emergency vehicles were having trouble getting in. To this day when I hear more than one emergency vehicle siren, I get a flashback.

In spite of the fact that an F2 tornado rolled right through downtown and on into east Nashville where in narrowed and strengthened, only one life was lost. Everyone was glued to the radio, tv and internet that day because storms were popping up everywhere all day long. I guess that helped everyone take shelter when it did help.

I doubt that we will ever have anything like that happen again.

Archived