Memphis' Horizon Towers rendering

sleepy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What up with pbase nowadays? Nothing works.

Edit--lol, soon as I post and complain, the pic shows.

Dave--some of those go for only $300,000, though some go for a million. The developer of One Beale and the Horizon guy are apparently in a race to see who can sign up the rich folks first. I think the Beale thing tops out at about $2,000,000 for some 5000 ft. penthouse. Maybe all those rich FedEx pilots will stop building mcmansions in Collierville and move downtown--be nearer to the airport.

And yes, unlike One Beale, the Horizon is indeed a compound hemmed in by the River, Riverside Drive, and the old bridge. So, I wouldn't go scaling any walls to get a look see.

They don't come up for me. Is there a link?

Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with pbase lately. It shows sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Here's a link. You can click on the pic to make it larger.

http://www.thebryanco.com/Horizon.htm

that rendering has been around for a long long time. in fact went i went home for thanksgiving i saw it on Billboards and magazines around the city.

Well, it's new to me. It's not on any billboards or magazines in Minnesota. :lol:

So what's really the difference between this and an exclusive gated suburban community besides the fact that it's a tower and there is a big parking lot out front?

There isn't any.

This development is in a vacant lot on the downslope of the riverbluff which has always been a vacant lot. It's never been part of the downtown grid. It's wedged between 4-lane Riverside Drive which is a speedway, the Mississippi River, and the I-55 bridge to Arkansas. The only way it could be connected with the rest of downtown would be to close Riverside Drive and somehow build the cross streets over to the site--running down off the bluff--and that would never, or could, happen. The cost would be astronomical.

In other words, there's no realistic alternative to what's being done, other than leave the site as a vacant lot.

The only difference between this development and a suburban development is that the wealthy people who will live there will have some investment in what goes on in the rest of downtown.

There isn't any.

This development is in a vacant lot on the downslope of the riverbluff which has always been a vacant lot. It's never been part of the downtown grid. It's wedged between 4-lane Riverside Drive which is a speedway, the Mississippi River, and the I-55 bridge to Arkansas. The only way it could be connected with the rest of downtown would be to close Riverside Drive and somehow build the cross streets over to the site--running down off the bluff--and that would never, or could, happen. The cost would be astronomical.

In other words, there's no realistic alternative to what's being done, other than leave the site as a vacant lot.

The only difference between this development and a suburban development is that the wealthy people who will live there will have some investment in what goes on in the rest of downtown.

Ahhh okay, I see. I take back my words then. I was under the impression that it was up on the bluff on the OTHER side of Riverside Drive, bordering South End. You're right if it is on such a lot then there really is no other choice.

Way to go Memphis! BTW, what area to the Grizzlies live? Do they stay in town after basketball season? Do you think they would market these towers to them?

I know some Grizzlies players, including Shane Battier, live in the South Bluffs right down the street, and I would think that some Grizz finding a place in the Horizon a few years down the road is definitely a possibility

I know some Grizzlies players, including Shane Battier, live in the South Bluffs right down the street, and I would think that some Grizz finding a place in the Horizon a few years down the road is definitely a possibility

Shane Battier lives in Harbor Town about 4 blocks from the square...I trick-or-treated there when the Griz first came to Memphis, and he was there handing out candy!

As far as access to the Horizon goes, and if I remember correctly, they are supposed to rework Channel 3 Drive (which has urban interchange access to Riverside) in such a fashion to where it will access the Horizon development, but I'm not finding the article where I read that. But it still will be cut off from Downtown proper having only access to Riverside and I-55.

Shane Battier lives in Harbor Town about 4 blocks from the square...I trick-or-treated there when the Griz first came to Memphis, and he was there handing out candy!

You're right, Shane Battier does live in Harbor Town. I saw him on his porch once when I was apartment hunting over there. He has a beautiful home! I know that even though Stromile Swift was traded, he still lives in Memphis. Former NBA player Elliott Perry lives in the South Main area and James Posey did too before he was traded.

JWill and Lorenzen Wright live(d) at Southwind. I heard Wright sold his home (it's where one of his children died -- awful memories I can imagine). Now that JWill is gone, don't know if he sold his place too.

I'm pretty sure Lorenzen Wright still lives in Southwind. My friend lives down the street from him, and whenever I'm leaving his house, I'll occasionally see Lorenzen...granted, it's been a few weeks. I dunno...according to my friend's mom (this was discussed at the Southwind homeowner's association meeting) there was this big mayhem one night last winter where someone apparently broke into Lorenzen's house, and he ran over to the neighbor's house and started beating on the door and going around back...but the neighbor took one look from her bedroom and saw this hulking man going around her house and called the cops...yowza.

Archived