All Saints

Florida

Basically they, "City Commision", want to make Gaines Street a one way- west bound....towards FSU. And make Madison east bound towards the Downtown. This will not help commerce in the Gaines Street area....only serves to move cars rapidly.. through and out of the Gainstreet area,..does not encourage pedistrians, bikes, streetscapes, or anything that makes a vibrant city work.

Monroe between Parkway and Tennessee used to have NO onstreet parking...that was a failure for downtown....

and the orginal plan called for what?

g

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check your grammar book...."we have all come to expect" definately implies that what we do now, we always have done and will continue to do so. But hey I expected to get flamed for bad spelling rather than verb tense relationships....

So your statement (which you have said covers the past, present and future) "Again top end ammenities/architectural elements as we have all come to expect from Rosen / Byrne dev. et al." should contain a little asterisk like so * that states "offer/statement not valid on the rental market." <_<

No one's flaming you at all about your grammar or verb tense..................

So your statement (which you have said covers the past, present and future) "Again top end ammenities/architectural elements as we have all come to expect from Rosen / Byrne dev. et al." should contain a little asterisk like so * that states "offer/statement not valid on the rental market." <_<

No one's flaming you at all about your grammar or verb tense..................

I"LL RESTATE THIS SINCE YOU DON"T GET IT YET>>>>>>>"

If you guys want a complete description of a particular project please ask....We build many different types of buildings with several levels of high quality ammenities. Most of our interiors are custom jobs done for a particular client. We know how subjective that can be.....a thing can be made/designed/planned well even its appearence is unusual, different, provacative. etc....For example I personally don't care for the appearence of most Mercedes. But I certainly appreciate how well they are made.....thats undeniable...its testable, verifiable, and not subject to personal opinion.

YOU SAW ONE "BLEEPIN" PHOTO- I'll send you some updated ones..... hell call me I'll show you around personally....

CobyGuy....

honestly aside from the appliances in the unit I saw, the craftsmanship that went into the structure itself was superb. I know your company does great work and to me you have nothing to prove. The work being done by you and your partner in the All-Saints area speaks for itself and is above my critisism... I'd love to live in anything over there... I'd just purchase my own appliances.

I"LL RESTATE THIS SINCE YOU DON"T GET IT YET>>>>>>>"

YOU SAW ONE "BLEEPIN" PHOTO- I'll send you some updated ones..... hell call me I'll show you around personally....

Nah man I get. I've gotten "IT" since you first posted and I'm still gettin' "it."

I'll not get into a shouting match w/you. I'd just advise you in the nicest way to hold off on making such cocky egotistical blanket statements such as this....."Again top end ammenities/architectural elements as we have all come to expect from Rosen / Byrne dev. et al" if you can't support and uphold it all the time. If I were a potential customer of yours this type of attitude would turn me off from buying no matter how great the product is/was.

Peace.

Nah man I get. I've gotten "IT" since you first posted and I'm still gettin' "it."

I'll not get into a shouting match w/you. I'd just advise you in the nicest way to hold off on making such cocky egotistical blanket statements such as this....."Again top end ammenities/architectural elements as we have all come to expect from Rosen / Byrne dev. et al" if you can't support and uphold it all the time. If I were a potential customer of yours this type of attitude would turn me off from buying no matter how great the product is/was.

Peace.

Poonther... I'm shocked!! I've not seen this side of you before! :w00t:

Poonther... I'm shocked!! I've not seen this side of you before! :w00t:

Wow that was a fast reply TJ. Usually I'm not that way. Maybe it's the South Floridian in me coming out. :P

I don't really enjoy it. I just wish cobyguy would give me a chance to tell him what good work they do but instead he's beating me to the punch and telling me. A little humbleness goes a long way w/me.

I see what you mean. Kinda similar to what my girlfriend does, she cooks an awesome meal, or buys me this very neat gift and then tells me how good she is to me, rather than allow me to tell her. It frustrates me that she's so quick to pat herself on the back because it takes away my opportunity sometimes.

I think making gaines street merchants into a destination will make it successful regardless of the roadways. I think that having vehicles "move through" will make it easier to "drive to" aswell. Maintaining perdestrian freindly attitudes will make the cars stop, and people cross. I am not satisfied with what i have seen though. I see too big a need for a DT Bypass to see a solution from such small changes to traffic flow.

I hear you murphy and I think the plan for Gaines Street is appropriate for an entertainment district. I maintain the belief that if we're to have a downtown bypass... Gaines Street isn't the answer.

I'd really like to use this forum as a sounding board on how to make Tallahassee, Gaines, and Allsaints a better place to live... It does get frustrating being one of the first entities to move in to an area (allsaints) and it has been a struggle..from my point of view....Thank you all for the compliments. I do listen to feed back... I am a little too married to this subject sometimes.

We (peter & I) see Gaines Street/Allsaints as a neighborhood that can stand some higher density than it has had historically... The land assembly and aquisition, and building costs also point that way... The gaines street corridore would be a fine entertainment district. Yes we need to move traffic streadily. BUT we need to encourage safe streetscapes for businesses. It helps to look at other cities that have done innovative things with simular redevelopment sites.

The traffic plan the city is proposing (agianst the the wishes of GSVC), will only encourage a parkway type of road construction. It will be dangerous for peds, bikes, and motorists because it will promote faster speeds through a narrow corridore. It will be expensive too- right of way aquisition as required by DOT. And the cost of construction will certainly be expensive. The city wants an east-west connector. We (property owners) want a dense commerce and pedestrain oriented corridore.

Yes a destination. A multiuse commercial area that meets the needs of every different potential market to the area. FAMU, FSU, Tourism, Entertainmemt, sports, shows, conventions, Retail, Restuarants....etc.... but you have to promote that through good design that encourages many different forms of access, is cost conscious, and practicle for the entreprenuers/ new business etc....

The city wants and has....gotten into the development business. There is a lot of money to be made from lucrative GOV. contracts. Outside developers do lobby the city all the time. The city suggests large parcels of assembled property. Look at french town... The city sees Gaines as simular to frenchtown. Designate it as a blighted area, place it in the CRA. Rebuild the street as a high speed connector. Assemble and rezone the land. Sell it or lease it to an outside developer who will do the cities bidding. And wait and see what happens. The difference with Gaines is that the people of the city already see this as a place for redevelopment. People accually are willing to move here and set up shop. And spend money....The city doen't need to wipe the slate clean and reinvent us.... They should not be doing it to French town either... But there is an image issue with frenchtown. But encouraging suburban dwellers to drive quickly through an area with their doors locked does not help much. It hasn't help Frenchtown and it won't help Gaines Street.

The speed limit is 35 on Gaines now....its not uncommon to see people doing 50+. BUT if the traffic patterns stay two way and on-street parking is allowed, and various other design mechinisms are incorporated (chicanes, trees, raised intersections, yeild-to ped crossings, buildings oriented to the street, parking in the rear, etc....then motorist will have to use a safe speed. ... This has been done before with great success....Larger cities have done it already. Burlington VT has done it- is simular to Tallahassee in many ways...they are way ahead of us though in redeveloping their central core. And cities in europe have been doing it since cars were first allowed on the streets. Because in Europe they have forced the motorists to conform to EXISTING (i'm not yelling) city planning. Here we give the car presidence and plan and retrofit the city for the car....It doesnt work in the long run. Its expensive for the people. It especially doesnt work in a retro fit, redevelopment situation...It only works were land is cheap and wide open.....like the burbs.....

I have people doing 50 down Allsaints street. In front of my house...Why? -becuase they can. Its usually an empty street, very strait with good visability...they "feel" comfortable driving faster and they don't think they will get caught on a back street.... BUT with a little thoughtful redesigning- then people will be forced to slow down for safety..... thanks listening to me vent...

Peace.

Touche'--- its just thats how real estate people talk- we make everything out to be 5 star.... to us it is...you got to have absolute faith in your product.... its subjective- .... :blush:

CobyGuy....

honestly aside from the appliances in the unit I saw, the craftsmanship that went into the structure itself was superb. I know your company does great work and to me you have nothing to prove. The work being done by you and your partner in the All-Saints area speaks for itself and is above my critisism... I'd love to live in anything over there... I'd just purchase my own appliances.

You can certainly pick what ever appliances your budget allows...... :)

I'd really like to use this forum as a sounding board on how to make Tallahassee, Gaines, and Allsaints a better place to live... It does get frustrating being one of the first entities to move in to an area (allsaints) and it has been a struggle..from my point of view....Thank you all for the compliments. I do listen to feed back... I am a little too married to this subject sometimes.

We (peter & I) see Gaines Street/Allsaints as a neighborhood that can stand some higher density than it has had historically... The land assembly and aquisition, and building costs also point that way... The gaines street corridore would be a fine entertainment district. Yes we need to move traffic streadily. BUT we need to encourage safe streetscapes for businesses. It helps to look at other cities that have done innovative things with simular redevelopment sites.

The traffic plan the city is proposing (agianst the the wishes of GSVC), will only encourage a parkway type of road construction. It will be dangerous for peds, bikes, and motorists because it will promote faster speeds through a narrow corridore. It will be expensive too- right of way aquisition as required by DOT. And the cost of construction will certainly be expensive. The city wants an east-west connector. We (property owners) want a dense commerce and pedestrain oriented corridore.

Yes a destination. A multiuse commercial area that meets the needs of every different potential market to the area. FAMU, FSU, Tourism, Entertainmemt, sports, shows, conventions, Retail, Restuarants....etc.... but you have to promote that through good design that encourages many different forms of access, is cost conscious, and practicle for the entreprenuers/ new business etc....

The city wants and has....gotten into the development business. There is a lot of money to be made from lucrative GOV. contracts. Outside developers do lobby the city all the time. The city suggests large parcels of assembled property. Look at french town... The city sees Gaines as simular to frenchtown. Designate it as a blighted area, place it in the CRA. Rebuild the street as a high speed connector. Assemble and rezone the land. Sell it or lease it to an outside developer who will do the cities bidding. And wait and see what happens. The difference with Gaines is that the people of the city already see this as a place for redevelopment. People accually are willing to move here and set up shop. And spend money....The city doen't need to wipe the slate clean and reinvent us.... They should not be doing it to French town either... But there is an image issue with frenchtown. But encouraging suburban dwellers to drive quickly through an area with their doors locked does not help much. It hasn't help Frenchtown and it won't help Gaines Street.

The speed limit is 35 on Gaines now....its not uncommon to see people doing 50+. BUT if the traffic patterns stay two way and on-street parking is allowed, and various other design mechinisms are incorporated (chicanes, trees, raised intersections, yeild-to ped crossings, buildings oriented to the street, parking in the rear, etc....then motorist will have to use a safe speed. ... This has been done before with great success....Larger cities have done it already. Burlington VT has done it- is simular to Tallahassee in many ways...they are way ahead of us though in redeveloping their central core. And cities in europe have been doing it since cars were first allowed on the streets. Because in Europe they have forced the motorists to conform to EXISTING (i'm not yelling) city planning. Here we give the car presidence and plan and retrofit the city for the car....It doesnt work in the long run. Its expensive for the people. It especially doesnt work in a retro fit, redevelopment situation...It only works were land is cheap and wide open.....like the burbs.....

I have people doing 50 down Allsaints street. In front of my house...Why? -becuase they can. Its usually an empty street, very strait with good visability...they "feel" comfortable driving faster and they don't think they will get caught on a back street.... BUT with a little thoughtful redesigning- then people will be forced to slow down for safety..... thanks listening to me vent...

cobyguy i could not agree more with you. i am interested in gaines street as well as fsu campus expansion, and the once proposed university park. does the gsvc have a web page? how can i help in the cause?

g

cobyguy i could not agree more with you. i am interested in gaines street as well as fsu campus expansion, and the once proposed university park. does the gsvc have a web page? how can i help in the cause?

g

Anyone concerned should lobby the City Commision on behalf on the Gaines Street Corridore. At least write them an email- I get replies from them often. Go and voice your opinions at Commision meetings. I think they are very interesting (both the meetings and the commisioners) - but hey I'm weird like that.

Go to the next GSVC meeting- you'll get a free bite to eat and drink too.

If you know anyone personally who works in GOV. as has a commisioners ear- then ask them to arrange a meeting on your behalf. You can always go to City Hall fourth floor and wait till one of them walks by. I take the attitude that the people are the GOV. not the other way around.

Call the TLH Democrat and ask someone to do a report, have them start by reading this Message Board. Peter and I have been interviewed about 5 times in 7 years.

Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll talk with you in person.

I CAN't FIND MY CAMERA. (now I'm yelling) I really want to post some photos!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw we were talking about speeding earlier so I thought I would tell a little story how I saw a speeding car fly down Blount street in front of my office and spin into one of the goverment buildings across the street and suddenly another car showed up suddenly, several girls and guys got out and started yelling and fighting and chasing each other up and down the street..... So I called the cops .... I was very impressed 3 cops cars showed up in 2 min and was out there with them for almost an hour. I even saw a few get taken away in Cop Cars. Yessssssss

Also during the day I had a lady park in front of my office get out and toss several Glass liquior bottles in the street and yard and walk over to a little blue house... So when she walked away I snuck out and grabbed the bottles and places them on the hood of her car and ran back up to my office. You should have seen her face when she returned back to her car to see the bottles back!!! She looked kinda scared because she knew she was being watched so she took them got back in her car and sped away!!!! YESSSSS

One more note I also witness a Drug Bust across the way as well. Looks like a kid got bustested for selling Pot. Nice to know that the Tally Police are keeping an eye on things. :-)

I have a feeling this street at one time would attract alot of riff-raff but now that this street is comming into the "Spot Light" fokes are going to find that they could not get away with things here like they used to. And that they are being watched. DONT MESS WITH TALLY!!!... lol

Archived