All Saints

Florida

"I'd say St. Joe that there really isn't that much more money in Tally or Florida since JEB!'s been gov. especially when you factor in the inflation rate."

Yet there is still MORE...not less like some might have implied. Taurean, the evidence proves MY point. Jeb Bush is NOT responsible for low paying jobs in Tallahassee. I think everyone here knows that....but some get caught up in politics and thus emotion.

The lack of high paying jobs is do to Tally and it's long history of not being able to attract high paying jobs. We can debate why, but it has been that way for a LONG while

I'm talking about FL and Tally both. If you look at the table I provided and find the Tally average for those 6 years the average gain is 3.3% and the average gain for FL is 3.5%. With an average inflation rate of 3% per year , there really isn't more, income has pretty much remained the same. I'm not saying Bush is repsonsible, but I am showing w/facts not emotion that your statement that " Hell, I would argue there is more money in tally since Jeb has been Gov " is not entirely true.

P.S. My income is earned off of high-tech privatization.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Hell, I would argue there is more money in tally since Jeb has been Gov " is not entirely true. "

Yet the original point I made..... that Jeb Bush is NOT responsible for lower incomes is accurate.

It is splittling hairs, but if the average gain is 3.5% and inflation is 3% that is a RISE in income. I don't really care, I just think there is an attempt on this board to claim Jeb Bush has hurt Tallahassee....I don't think he has and I don't think that is substantiated. Your own figures show that.

Here is the bottom line:

Low paying jobs were a problem in Tally LONG before Jeb Bush was even born.

Good points there Poonther. My income also is a direct result of privitization. Leon County and Florida as a whole has not seen adequate growth in the high tech sector and I will continue to blame Jeb :P He may not be responsible for our state's history of relying on the service industry but he certainly can take bigger steps to making us a leader in having a larger high tech high paying work force.

It is my personal opinion that he has no intention to help Tallahassee join the high-tech games. I'll gurantee most if not all of the resources spent on High-tech training, research, and recruitment will go down to South or Central Florida... I'd love to be proven wrong, but this Governor doesn't have a record for trying to enhance the capital city. With him its been quite the opposite... cutting thousands of state jobs, moving employees out of the downtown buildings leaving them empty, vetoing money for roadway projects... it just seems anything good he's done for us has been insignificant while the bad stuff really hurts. His doesn't bother me, but his record does.

Do we blame all the Governors before Jeb Bush for Tally's bad job sector also?

At the end of the day, Tally's lack of high paying jobs is due to local government. Not a Republican or Democratic Governor now or the ones before him. Until our local government learns to do this job...it will stay that way.

I'm not going to place blame on Jeb for our lack of diversity. Those responsible, the City, the County, the chamber...etc have all taken their share of the credit. And to a larger extent the people of this city deserve some part of the blame for our failure to tap into our resources and start up more small companies. That said...

... This governor knew we were vulnerable and that we rely heavily on state employment for bread and butter. I understand his desire to save the state tax payers some money, BUT did he have to rush into the privitzation with a full head of steam. Could it have been possible for him to sit down with the community leaders and outline a way for them to transition this community into something a bit more diverse? Allowing us to keep our people employed in the areas of their skills and possibly helping the community in the process to start up companies that would not only serve the needs of state government, but other economic sectors. Call centers, insurance companies, computer service companies, etc.

^Great points TJ in both your past two post. St. Joe can defend "the turd" that is JEB! all he wants and that is his right. While JEB! may not be against Tally, he certainly isn't a friend/supporter of our city. Past governors like Graham were much better to this city. Now talking about local government not being up to par, I'll agree w/that too. I think one step in right direction for local government is consolidation.

And low paying jobs just isn't a Tally problem, it's pretty bad state-wide.

I'm not going to place blame on Jeb for our lack of diversity. Those responsible, the City, the County, the chamber...etc have all taken their share of the credit. And to a larger extent the people of this city deserve some part of the blame for our failure to tap into our resources and start up more small companies. That said...

... This governor knew we were vulnerable and that we rely heavily on state employment for bread and butter. I understand his desire to save the state tax payers some money, BUT did he have to rush into the privitzation with a full head of steam. Could it have been possible for him to sit down with the community leaders and outline a way for them to transition this community into something a bit more diverse? Allowing us to keep our people employed in the areas of their skills and possibly helping the community in the process to start up companies that would not only serve the needs of state government, but other economic sectors. Call centers, insurance companies, computer service companies, etc.

being a bit obsessive, but we need a research and development campus like the one f.s.u. proposed two years back, unc at chapel hill has centennial park, and tallahassee needs the once proposed university park. we should do all in our power to pressure the commission and make this an issue again. i think it a bit short sighted on the commissions part. the big picture was obviously missed. i mailed them as mentioned in another post and will let the board know how they responded.

sincerely,

g

being a bit obsessive, but we need a research and development campus like the one f.s.u. proposed two years back, unc at chapel hill has centennial park, and tallahassee needs the once proposed university park. we should do all in our power to pressure the commission and make this an issue again. i think it a bit short sighted on the commissions part. the big picture was obviously missed. i mailed them as mentioned in another post and will let the board know how they responded.

sincerely,

g

Gibson,

I accept your call to action and I will mail the commissioners as soon as I finish this post. I feel like this is something positive to pursue rather than to simply talk about. My only question is:

What is a True Research park exactly? What characteristics make one "good".

Gibson,

I accept your call to action and I will mail the commissioners as soon as I finish this post. I feel like this is something positive to pursue rather than to simply talk about. My only question is:

What is a True Research park exactly? What characteristics make one "good".

i think the one at unc chapel hill should be used as a model. i have been in contact with someone at r and d at f.s.u. and i am going to pick his brain to up to speed on this issue. post as i go.

sincerely,

gabe

CobyGuy...

How much did the Cloisters sell for? I hear they are all sold out.

Cloisters sold for about $200/ sq,ft. Some discounts were offered early. But phase -2 will sell for more. Again top end ammenities/architectural elements as we have all come to expect from Rosen / Byrne dev. et al.

Just to defend STJOE- ( arvida/stjoe is closely and historically aligned with Mr. Bush et al) ...all of us need to stop thinking GOV. is a factor in creating jobs... Its the businesses created by the entreprenuers, that make it happen. ( warts and all.) I just want GOV to offer incentives for good projects..(expedite permitting?)...

Other wise stay the hell out of the land market. Local/ State GOV only inflates the market when they dabble. Yes ceratin blighted areas need GOV to help- not steer....Leave the sausage making to the private investors/ devs... The Repubs. are all against big GOV. unless they can get a check.....or tell you how to live....( I am a proad card carrying Democrat)! I like checks too...but stay out of my life less I'm hurting someone.

Power to the Peeps....and keep those interest rates low.....

Hey the city wants to make Gaines street a 1-way collector- This will kill the corridore for commerce. Its totally against the expressed and documneted wishes of the Gaines Street Vitalization Commoitee. ( I respresent ALL Saints as the Pres. of the Prop. Owners Assoc.) Their decicision is only to appease the FSU boosters heading to Golden Eagle( northward) 5 days a year on home games... Can you all help us out? Send emails to the City Commision......and Gabe at Traffic.....PLEASE!!!!

Cloisters sold for about $200/ sq,ft. Some discounts were offered early. But phase -2 will sell for more. Again top end ammenities/architectural elements as we have all come to expect from Rosen / Byrne dev. et al.

"TOOT TOOT TOOT".......................in case you're wondering what that noise is, well it's the sound of cobyguy blowing his own horn. :P

I like the architectural elements on your bldgs., but if all the ammenities look like those in the kitchen picture in post #53 of this thread that TJ took, well those look more like college apt. appliances than top-notch/high-end ones.

SonyShots238.jpg

i'd have to agree with the above poster, this kitchen does not look high-end at all...

the appliances look like to be GE correct? the fridge looks to be bottom of the line...

counter tops are okay... but the sink! a run of the mill side by side college apartment special. :P

the development looks very nice from the outside but let's say theres room for improvement in the kitchen.

"TOOT TOOT TOOT".......................in case you're wondering what that noise is, well it's the sound of cobyguy blowing his own horn. :P

I like the architectural elements on your bldgs., but if all the ammenities look like those in the kitchen picture in post #53 of this thread that TJ took, well those look more like college apt. appliances than top-notch/high-end ones.

I needed a good laugh tonight! OMG... Poonther, you're something else! LOL. I do recall Cobyguy saying those fixtures are a bit different from whats being offered in the new developments. I sure hope so for $200 sq.ft.

Question: CobyGuy, does your company own the vacant lot across from the All Saints Condo site? I'd love to get my hands on it.

Just to defend STJOE- ( arvida/stjoe is closely and historically aligned with Mr. Bush et al) ...all of us need to stop thinking GOV. is a factor in creating jobs... Its the businesses created by the entreprenuers, that make it happen. ( warts and all.) I just want GOV to offer incentives for good projects..(expedite permitting?)...

Other wise stay the hell out of the land market. Local/ State GOV only inflates the market when they dabble. Yes ceratin blighted areas need GOV to help- not steer....Leave the sausage making to the private investors/ devs... The Repubs. are all against big GOV. unless they can get a check.....or tell you how to live....( I am a proad card carrying Democrat)! I like checks too...but stay out of my life less I'm hurting someone.

Power to the Peeps....and keep those interest rates low.....

Hey the city wants to make Gaines street a 1-way collector- This will kill the corridore for commerce. Its totally against the expressed and documneted wishes of the Gaines Street Vitalization Commoitee. ( I respresent ALL Saints as the Pres. of the Prop. Owners Assoc.) Their decicision is only to appease the FSU boosters heading to Golden Eagle( northward) 5 days a year on home games... Can you all help us out? Send emails to the City Commision......and Gabe at Traffic.....PLEASE!!!!

cobyguy, what is a one way collector? what was the original plan?

thanks

g

I thought he said those were the older projects which did not recieve the same ammeneties as the current projects?!...

Maybe so csmurphy8885, but this statement "as we have all come to expect from Rosen / Byrne dev. et al." reads as past tense to me so it covers older projects IMO. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just call them as I see them after a 6 hour car ride home from South FL. :)

Maybe so csmurphy8885, but this statement "as we have all come to expect from Rosen / Byrne dev. et al." reads as past tense to me so it covers older projects IMO. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just call them as I see them after a 6 hour car ride home from South FL. :)

No that was RENTAL property- different target market....

No that was RENTAL property- different target market....

Check your grammar book...."we have all come to expect" definately implies that what we do now, we always have done and will continue to do so. But hey I expected to get flamed for bad spelling rather than verb tense relationships....

cobyguy, what is a one way collector? what was the original plan?

thanks

g

Basically they, "City Commision", want to make Gaines Street a one way- west bound....towards FSU. And make Madison east bound towards the Downtown. This will not help commerce in the Gaines Street area....only serves to move cars rapidly.. through and out of the Gainstreet area,..does not encourage pedistrians, bikes, streetscapes, or anything that makes a vibrant city work.

Monroe between Parkway and Tennessee used to have NO onstreet parking...that was a failure for downtown....

If you guys want a complete description of a particular project please ask....We build many different types of buildings with several levels of high quality ammenities. Most of our interior are custom jobs done for a particular client. We know how subjective that can be.....a thing can be made/designed/planned well even its appearence is unusual, different, provacative. etc....For example I personally don't care for the appearence of most Mercedes. But I certainly appreciate how well they are made.....thats undeniable...its testable, verifiable, and not subject to personal opinion.

The same applies to buildings....or should.

Archived