Did you ever notice?

monsoon

Did you ever notice the tree that appears on the SC License Plate is a Brazilian Palm and not the State's native Cabbage Palmetto tree? I was at the Hobcaw Barony this weekend attending a recreation of Lowcountry Christmas from days gone by, and one of the hostesses there mentioned this fact. Just what were they thinking?

BTW, if you are every in Georgetown County this is a great place to visit. It began in Colonial times as a rice plantation and became one of the biggest plantations where Carolina Gold rice was produced. This is a high quality rice that was in high demand all over the country and Europe. In the early 1900's it was bought by a NY millionare and became a retreat for VIPs and celebrities of the day. When he died he deeded it to the State and it is operated as a huge park and estuary reserve now. Clemson does a lot of marine research at the place. Great stuff for SC.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed that. I didn't know it was a Brazilian pal though. It doesn't suprise me at all. Most of the state flags you see displayed are not the true state flag. My avatar is an example of that. Its impossible to find an image of the real thing online.

I know! I've noticed that and it really iritates me. I had to search long and hard for a "real" SC flag to go outside my house... :thumbsup:

I know! I've noticed that and it really iritates me. I had to search long and hard for a "real" SC flag to go outside my house... :thumbsup:

When you find one, let us all know, so we know where to go.

Other SC plate oddites....

The blue "Permanent" plates, mostly used on government vehicles & school busses, is the same one intoduced back in the late 1970's, if memory serves. I'm all for saving money on the cost of plates that don't need frequent updating such as these, but the plates do seem dates. I'm also kinda sure the "Disabled Vet" plates are from the same era.

On that note, when are SC's plates up for a design change?

When you find one, let us all know, so we know where to go.

Well, I know that the place in Haywood Mall (Neat Things...?) carries the real thing. Also, If you are in Clemson, The Frame Shop place on College Avenue carries the real thing as well (they also have the real design in ORANGE too :thumbsup: ).

Isn't it a liscensing issue as to why alot of the Carolina Flag stuff has a altered image? I know that alot of the stuff if you look the crescent moon is is pointing in the opposite direction that it is suppose to.

Really!? I've never noticed the moon, but the differences in the trees bug me.

SC has way too many personalized license plates :rofl: . It must be a challenging task for law enforcement to remember every single plate the SCDMV comes out with!

Ever driven through Virginia? They have so many varieties of license plates! I really like the ones they have to choose from, but it's probably more than double what SC has. And they require plates on the front of the vehicle, as well as the back.

Ever driven through Virginia? They have so many varieties of license plates! I really like the ones they have to choose from, but it's probably more than double what SC has. And they require plates on the front of the vehicle, as well as the back.

I'm pretty sure that South Carolina has the most specialty plates in the country.

Ever driven through Virginia?

Of course! From personal experience, i see that Virginia does personalized license plates (your own name, initials, etc) way more than SC.

I'm pretty sure that South Carolina has the most specialty plates in the country.

For license plates, heres what they offer in college , military, speciality and disabled. Counting all of the plates SCDMV makes, thats 77! I doubt VA comes even near that number, let alone double digits!

Virginia has approximately 180 specialty plates. Here is the link:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/...late_search.asp

See, Virginia is cheating on going towards out of state colleges (App/UNC you know who you are) wtf and the plates look the same if you ask me :rofl: . VA could have at least 1000 if they added every single 4 year institution in the USA and Canada :shades:

My apologies, you proved me wrong :D

Isn't it a liscensing issue as to why alot of the Carolina Flag stuff has a altered image? I know that alot of the stuff if you look the crescent moon is is pointing in the opposite direction that it is suppose to.

Yes. I think SC's flag is copywrited, so in order to use its likeness you have to go through all of that crap.

The reversed crescent moon is often intentional, as it has a historic significance with regard to the SC sovereignty and SC secession flags. I think one of the original flags had the moon in the opposite direciton as well.

See, Virginia is cheating on going towards out of state colleges (App/UNC you know who you are) wtf and the plates look the same if you ask me :rofl: . VA could have at least 1000 if they added every single 4 year institution in the USA and Canada :shades:

My apologies, you proved me wrong :D

There are certain rules in Virginia (and perhaps other states as well) about how to get a tag for your college/university issued. I know that some Clemson alums in Virginia are trying to get one, but they have to get a minimum number of agreements from people (perhaps in the form of a down payment or something) before the commonwealth will agree to make them. So alums from those schools like Appalachian State must have shown enough interest to warrant Virginia to make the plate.

Archived