Old Railroad Depot Development in Fayetteville

Mith242

Here's another development mentioned in the Fayetteville topic. But since it has become so big and hard to find particular items in there I'm slowly posting developments into seperate topics. I also took some pics there earlier so I thought it was a good time to start it. I don't know if this development has a particular name to be honest. There will be a Gloria Jeans Coffeeshop going in and a Haagen Dazs. It looks like they will be trying to keep some or most of the old structure. The old railroad depot looks to be done in the Mission style of architecture.

img54756hw.jpg

img54746ko.jpg

img54776ih.jpg

img54788bs.jpg

img54799su.jpg

img54810et.jpg

img54833ag.jpg

img54855dp.jpg

img54841mq.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right next to the old train depot is this sign. At first I thought it was all one development but I haven't really heard condos mentioned with the shops. So it could be a different development. I'm not sure if it means it will be built right next to the old train depot or maybe a bit behind it. There's some mainly open land behind the old train depot. I took this pic back in October.

img30556of.jpg

On the pic of the previous post the old train depot is on the left and on the right is what everyone calls the 'train bank'. It's one of the Bank of Fayetteville locations. And those are real railroad cars that have been converted. It's on the corner of West and Dickson. On the other side of West is the Hoghaus Brewery.

img54737kn.jpg

img54869vn.jpg

img54870ca.jpg

That looks like an interesting development.

I also really like the Train Depot.

This is off topic but..

My city of Covington was founded because of two things. The Tchefuncte River and the Bogue Falaya River met each other here, and to central railroads met each other here before they headed into New Orleans. As a result, we have a very old train station located in the heart of the city. The station building looks extremely similar to the one you have posted in Fayetville. It has a brick base, and the structure itself is made of a light clay colored stone. The sign looks extremely similar as well. Just replace "Fayetteville" on the one pictured above and replace it with "Covington." It also has a "Covington Dining Car" in front of it. This fascinates me.

Anyway ;) , I hope the development works out well.

And nice photos Mith!

That looks like an interesting development.

I also really like the Train Depot.

This is off topic but..

My city of Covington was founded because of two things. The Tchefuncte River and the Bogue Falaya River met each other here, and to central railroads met each other here before they headed into New Orleans. As a result, we have a very old train station located in the heart of the city. The station building looks extremely similar to the one you have posted in Fayetville. It has a brick base, and the structure itself is made of a light clay colored stone. The sign looks extremely similar as well. Just replace "Fayetville" on the one pictured above and replace it with "Covinton." It also has a "Covinton Dining Car" in front of it. This fascinates me.

Anyway ;) , I hope the development works out well.

And nice photos Mith!

Thanks NCB, I look forward to whenever you get a camera and being able to see some shots down there. It's very interesting that the two cities have such similar train depots. I have no idea when the one in Fayetteville was built. I think the mission style was popular early in the 20th century. Fayetteville wasn't founded because of a river or the railroad. It's basically the edge of the Boston Mtns and the Springfield Plateau. Northwest Arkansas contains some of the best agricultural land in the Ozarks. Even if there wasn't a lot in the first place. I think apples, grapes, corn and wheat used to all be grown quite a bit up here. Grapes were the last thing but even that started shriveling up in the 80's and 90's. Now much of it's being developed with all the growth up here. Anyway thanks for the info NCB, very interesting. :D

As always, Great Pics Mith!!

Isn't this project a little behind schedule? I thought I remembered hearing about how the Haagen-Dazs and Gloria Jean's should have been completed in the summer.

Beautiful train car, that bank idea is great to add to culture. I can even see the Legacy Tower Crane in the Background.

They really needed to do something with that depot. It's too cool of a building with an excellent location not to have a major renewal. I just hope they will leave the original structure as pristine as they can while adding new elements rather than just building a big complex around it and leaving the original station as an afterthought.

That Mission style was big for a while around that time. The original Little Rock Municipal Auditorium was a replica of the Alamo and had similar elements. It was torn down in the 1920s and Robinson Auditorium replaced it, though.

As always, Great Pics Mith!!

Isn't this project a little behind schedule? I thought I remembered hearing about how the Haagen-Dazs and Gloria Jean's should have been completed in the summer.

Beautiful train car, that bank idea is great to add to culture. I can even see the Legacy Tower Crane in the Background.

Yeah a number of developments seemed to just sit there and not do much. The past month or so I've finally started seeing them work on it. Yeah the future Legacy won't be too far away. That and a crane that size is pretty easy to see in a number of places. :D

They really needed to do something with that depot. It's too cool of a building with an excellent location not to have a major renewal. I just hope they will leave the original structure as pristine as they can while adding new elements rather than just building a big complex around it and leaving the original station as an afterthought.

That Mission style was big for a while around that time. The original Little Rock Municipal Auditorium was a replica of the Alamo and had similar elements. It was torn down in the 1920s and Robinson Auditorium replaced it, though.

Yeah it was somewhat odd for a while on Dickson St. You'd have these nice developments and remodeling and then you'd still have these old buildings or even just open lots sitting around. That's going to be changing though, looks like everything on Dickson is going to be utilized. Yeah I've seen some Mission Houses but not so much use of it in other buildings up here.

• 4 weeks later...

I should have done something like this before. But anyway here is a map mainly showing the Dickson St and Square area of Fayetteville. Not the greatest job in the world but hopefully everyone will be able to see will be able to see where many of these developments are taking place in conjunction with each other.

fmap022ax.gif

• 8 months later...

I'd forgotten about this topic. Here's a few pics by the way of the completed renovation of the Old Train Station. Wish I had remembered this topic when I posted all those pics a while back, oh well.

img4377ssnu4.jpg

img4379ssxg2.jpg

Here's another building nearby owned by House also. It's a bit hard to make out but they seem to be working on it now as well. I had taken a pic looking more eastward showing how close the Legacy Building was. But it was too early in the morning and it didn't come out looking too much into the sun. I haven't heard what they're going to do with this building. I'm also wondered if they're going to completely take it down and put in something bigger or just gut it and renovate it.

img4380sszp5.jpg

I'd forgotten about this topic. Here's a few pics by the way of the completed renovation of the Old Train Station. Wish I had remembered this topic when I posted all those pics a while back, oh well.

img4377ssnu4.jpg

img4379ssxg2.jpg

Here's another building nearby owned by House also. It's a bit hard to make out but they seem to be working on it now as well. I had taken a pic looking more eastward showing how close the Legacy Building was. But it was too early in the morning and it didn't come out looking too much into the sun. I haven't heard what they're going to do with this building. I'm also wondered if they're going to completely take it down and put in something bigger or just gut it and renovate it.

img4380sszp5.jpg

Mith, something cool about this, IMO...this development and what Dickson Street is becoming (on a somewhat smaller scale, of course) reminds me of Church Street in Orlando...a bunch of trendy downtown stores and restaurants the main gateway to which is through a railroad crossing by the old station. (It's fun to watch the crowds come to a halt when the trains go by on the CSX (mainline, with AMTRAK service) railroad there much like they do in Fayetteville when the A & M trains roll through at night.

Church Street is nice because it's in downtown MCO away from the "Attractions" as they call them.

Mith, something cool about this, IMO...this development and what Dickson Street is becoming (on a somewhat smaller scale, of course) reminds me of Church Street in Orlando...a bunch of trendy downtown stores and restaurants the main gateway to which is through a railroad crossing by the old station. (It's fun to watch the crowds come to a halt when the trains go by on the CSX (mainline, with AMTRAK service) railroad there much like they do in Fayetteville when the A & M trains roll through at night.

Church Street is nice because it's in downtown MCO away from the "Attractions" as they call them.

Interesting, I can't say I'm familiar with Church St. But interesting to hear some input and comparisons. I'll have to check that out.

Hmmm...now if I could just get some of those earlier pics to load up.....

floride12.jpg

Here's a pic of Church street looking toward the crossing (to the north, I believe).

Here's a Church Street Station web site that appears to be a work in progress.

This other building being renovated by Greg House (across the street from the gelato shop) will be a new bar owned by a former Razorback football player (Zack Painter).

Thanks for the info. I had wondered what they were going to do with it. It doesn't look like a particularly big space unless they're going to tear it down and put a new building up. Should be a nice location though, although some of the other places around there on West don't seem to have fared too well.

Zac Painter will be the financier and a former Bar owner/manager in the area will run the place. The name will be something like Z 222 with the Z standing for Zack and the numbers for the physical address.

img4379ssxg2.jpg

Zac Painter will be the financier and a former Bar owner/manager in the area will run the place. The name will be something like Z 222 with the Z standing for Zack and the numbers for the physical address.

img4379ssxg2.jpg

Oops, got the wrong pic in there.

Archived