Smoky States: Smoking Rates Vary Widely

turlough

Jan. 8, 2004 -- Cigarette smoking rates vary widely across the U.S., from a low of less than 10% in the U.S. Virgin Islands to a high of almost 33% in Kentucky.

Overall, a new CDC report shows that an average of about one in four American adults is a smoker, but more than half of them tried to quit in the last year.

Researchers analyzed data from the 2002 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, a periodic nationwide survey of Americans, to determine the prevalence of cigarette smoking among adults, attempts to quit, and whether they got advice from their doctor to quit smoking in the last year.

The report shows that only the U.S. Virgin Islands have achieved the Healthy People 2010 objective of reducing the prevalence of current smokers to under 12%.

Cigarette Smoking Varies by State

The number of current smokers was highest in Kentucky (32.6%) followed by Alaska (29.4%), West Virginia (28.4), Tennessee (27.8%), and Indiana (27.7%).

States and U.S. territories with the lowest percentage of smokers were the U.S. Virgin Islands (9.5%), Utah (12.7%), Puerto Rico (13.2%) and California (16.4%).

The study defined current smokers as people who reported having smoked more than 100 cigarettes in their lifetime and said they currently smoke every day or some days. Here's how all 50 states and three territories measured up:

State

Percentage of Adult Smokers

Alabama

24.4%

Alaska

29.4%

Arizona

23.5%

Arkansas

26.3%

California

16.4%

Colorado

20.4%

Connecticut

19.5%

Delaware

24.7%

District of Columbia

20.4%

Florida

22.1%

Georgia

23.3%

Hawaii

21.1%

Idaho

20.6%

Illinois

22.9%

Indiana

27.7%

Iowa

23.1%

Kansas

22.1%

Kentucky

32.6%

Louisiana

23.9%

Maine

23.6%

Maryland

22.0%

Massachusetts

19.0%

Michigan

24.2%

Minnesota

21.7%

Mississippi

27.4%

Missouri

26.6%

Montana

21.3%

Nebraska

22.8%

Nevada

26.0%

New Hampshire

23.2%

New Jersey

19.1%

New Mexico

21.2%

New York

22.4%

North Carolina

26.4%

North Dakota

21.5%

Ohio

26.6%

Oklahoma

26.7%

Oregon

22.4%

Pennsylvania

24.6%

Rhode Island

22.5%

South Carolina

26.6%

South Dakota

22.6%

Tennessee

27.8%

Texas

22.9%

Utah

12.7%

Vermont

21.2%

Virginia

24.6%

Washington

21.5%

West Virginia

28.4%

Wisconsin

23.4%

Wyoming

23.7%

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably the only guy on this forum who has grown tobacco on a farm. I am presently living at the same damn place where we once grew the stuff... Oh how bizzaire I am compared to the most of you. I'm the only rural guy on here, no?

Now you guys should understand why I'm insane. Its an hour to the nearest city - Nashville. And I think Nashville is a small crappy town, my tastes are more like Chicago (I just didn't feel like typing Toronto again, thought you guys could use a rest from that word).

I'm so out of place.

I am surprised that NC is not higher. They don't tax the ciggies much here so they are incredibly cheap compared to just about anywhere else. And if you work in the Tobacco industry, they give away packs of the smokes (as much as you want) as a benefit. LOL

LOL. In Michigan the taxes are so expensive that everyone goes to Canada to buy them. Right the taxes on one pack are $1.25, although they've talked about raising them by $.50 more.

Archived