The Dickson (Formerly the Lofts at Underwood Plaza)

Mith242

Here's a development originally posted in the Fayetteville topic. But since it has gotten so big and hard to find particular info I'm getting around to slowly posting each development with it's own topic. Technically I don't think these will be lofts but condos. Guess they liked the name lofts better. It will also have retail on the first floor. It will be between the Underwood Building and the building currently housing Qdoba. It will also be behind the building with Qdoba. Here's a couple of pics I took back in October. On the first rendering on the left you can see the Qdoba location as the small reddish building. Although the building is actually grey. It used to be an old gas station long ago. But it was torn down and it was basically being used as a makeshift parking lot by students at the university.

img30626ua.jpg

img30631vf.jpg

I'll post more pics as things start happening at the construction site.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are these low-mid rise condo's and town houses becoming popular in downtown Fayetville?

There has been a surge in these being built in downtown Covington, most of them being 3-8 storey townhouses and condo's, which I think is great for a city with a (pre-Katrina) population of around 10,000.

Are these low-mid rise condo's and town houses becoming popular in downtown Fayetville?

There has been a surge in these being built in downtown Covington, most of them being 3-8 storey townhouses and condo's, which I think is great for a city with a (pre-Katrina) population of around 10,000.

Yeah there's a mixed-use/condo movement really going here in Fayetteville. Although I wish we had some closer to the 8 stories you've mentioned. :D Condos seem to be pretty hot in a lot of places. I wonder if they're building them in Covington because they seem a little more urban and trying to make these places more appealing to the people who have had to move there and are used to living in a more urban environment.

Yeah there's a mixed-use/condo movement really going here in Fayetteville. Although I wish we had some closer to the 8 stories you've mentioned. :D Condos seem to be pretty hot in a lot of places. I wonder if they're building them in Covington because they seem a little more urban and trying to make these places more appealing to the people who have had to move there and are used to living in a more urban environment.

Hopefully that Urban trend can come more north this way.

I wonder if they're building them in Covington because they seem a little more urban and trying to make these places more appealing to the people who have had to move there and are used to living in a more urban environment.

That is one of the main reasons why they are building them. Covington has a very nice and historic downtown area, filled with shopping, restaurants, theatres, coffee shops, and many other shops. There are many parks nearby, it's a child friendly place. Simply put, its a nice area to live in. Many of these residents coming from New Orleans, are used to living in a city with the second highest murder rate in the country, and has been one of the 7 most dangerous cities in the country for the last decade. When I first left New Orleans for the first time, it was just moving to an area only 30 miles from the city, but had little crime, and living in the central part of the city was very safe. These New Orleanians now come to Covington which has not had a single murder since 2002. And so many people seem to enjoy living in a small, yet hearty and entertaining downtown area.

I know Mith knows this, as he has seen me post about it in the Louisiana forum, but Covington is having an amazing population and development boom. I have heard population projections for 2010 having Covington with a city population upwards of 65K-75K people. :w00t: There is a major Oil Company based in New Orleans who does not want to be identified, planning a 20-30 storey office tower located in what is quickly becoming the CBD of the city. I'm guessing it is either Shell Oil or ExxonMobile. There have also been many major New Orleans companies planning "Class A Office Towers" in the Covington area. It's a very exiting time to be here!

But that leads me to this. The population and development boom has moved north into Baton Rouge, Shreveport has seen a major increase in development recently, I know that Texarkana has seen a large increase in development, I have heard that Little Rock has seen an increase in development recently, and that leaves NW Arkansas next on the list. :D

Thanks for the info NCB. Yeah there's development going on up here alright. :D Northwest Arkansas is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. I wish I could have more time to take pics on what's going on in Rogers. That's where a lot of the growth is occuring.

Hey Mith, do you have any growth rates for cities in NWA?

I was able to find the growth rates for Fayetteville, but not for other cities in the area and NWA in general.

I'll see what I can find. Matt might also be able to find something for you. I can't give you any numbers offhand but I'd say growth rates are lower in Fayetteville than the other cities like Bentonville, Rogers, and Springdale. Fayetteville used to really be the center of the area. But now many of the other cities are catching up.

I'll see what I can find. Matt might also be able to find something for you. I can't give you any numbers offhand but I'd say growth rates are lower in Fayetteville than the other cities like Bentonville, Rogers, and Springdale. Fayetteville used to really be the center of the area. But now many of the other cities are catching up.

You know, until I joined UrbanPlanet I had no idea that NW Arkansas was experiencing so much growth. The only part of Arkansas I really knew alot about was the Texarkana area. This forum has really helped my learn about NWA. I may be taking a trip up there sometime next year. I really want to see the area and all of the development going on up there first hand.

You know, until I joined UrbanPlanet I had no idea that NW Arkansas was experiencing so much growth. The only part of Arkansas I really knew alot about was the Texarkana area. This forum has really helped my learn about NWA. I may be taking a trip up there sometime next year. I really want to see the area and all of the development going on up there first hand.

If you ever do decide to come up here let me know if you need any info or help for your trip.

Very slick and impressive building that should fit in nicely. Dickson and the Square are going to have to increase in density as we run out of buildings to renovate but you don't want to go too high or out of character. I think that building will fit perfect.

I was thinking the same thing. Although I do wish we had some taller buildings in the area I don't think Dickson St is the place for them. Altohugh there really isn't going to be a whole lot left there are a few places that are good choices for redevelopment. I just hope they don't do anything one story. If I was going to be picky about it, I'd prefer a mixed-use development two to three stories on the front facing the street, then sloping back to having 4 or 5 stories in the back.

Here's a few pics of the lot where the development will take place. Not much going on now though. The lot between Underwood's and the Qdoba location has been empty for quite a while. But there were some buildings behind the Qdoba location earlier this year but were torn down.

img56036kr.jpg

img56046qf.jpg

img56052in.jpg

img56068jv.jpg

img56075kg.jpg

img56083ry.jpg

img56099na.jpg

Hey Rod, are the big brick buildings surrounding the future construction site all apartment buildings?

I am just wondering because twe have alot of similar looking apartment buildings in the poorer neighborhoods of New Orleans. When they were first built however, they were quite upscale.

Hey Rod, are the big brick buildings surrounding the future construction site all apartment buildings?

I am just wondering because twe have alot of similar looking apartment buildings in the poorer neighborhoods of New Orleans. When they were first built however, they were quite upscale.

No they're mainly retail. Although I do think one was converted a few years ago into apartments/condos.

Is the university close to this project?

Okay I'm still looking to see if I have any better pics to show this. I'm just across the street from the campus, on the corner of Dickson and Arkansas Ave. This pic is looking east and if you look all the way to the left you can see the greyish Qdoba location. You can also see a little vegetation over on the left too, that's part of the Underwood Building. The lofts are going between those two buildings. So it's just about within eyesight of the campus, or at least the very edge of it.

img35557zg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I should have done something like this before. But anyway here is a map mainly showing the Dickson St and Square area of Fayetteville. Not the greatest job in the world but hopefully everyone will be able to see will be able to see where many of these developments are taking place in conjunction with each other.

fmap022ax.gif

Archived