The Dickson (Formerly the Lofts at Underwood Plaza)

Mith242

Here's a few pics of the lot where the development will take place. Not much going on now though. The lot between Underwood's and the Qdoba location has been empty for quite a while. But there were some buildings behind the Qdoba location earlier this year but were torn down.

img56036kr.jpg

img56046qf.jpg

img56052in.jpg

img56068jv.jpg

img56075kg.jpg

img56083ry.jpg

img56099na.jpg

I hate all those huge powerlines headed down that street on the east face of that project. I guess it is called Powerhouse Ave or something like that.

I wonder when or if there will be a move to remove that power substation down there next to Powerhouse Seafood?

If condos heat up more downtown, the land it sits on might be worth enough to partially offset the costs of a move.

I hate powerlines. :angry:

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate all those huge powerlines headed down that street on the east face of that project. I guess it is called Powerhouse Ave or something like that.

I wonder when or if there will be a move to remove that power substation down there next to Powerhouse Seafood?

If condos heat up more downtown, the land it sits on might be worth enough to partially offset the costs of a move.

I hate powerlines. :angry:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of them either. When they were doing the Dikson Street Improvement Plan I really wish they had added moving the powerlines underground as part of it. I could take some nicer shots without all the powerlines around. :D

Very slick and impressive building that should fit in nicely. Dickson and the Square are going to have to increase in density as we run out of buildings to renovate but you don't want to go too high or out of character. I think that building will fit perfect.

I agree. This building seems a lot like Three Sisters without being as overt in mixing different styles.

Both buildings take cues from the existing streetscape in Fayetteville and that is why neither will be distinguishable from older buildings in the area in a few years. I think the Legacy building and the Renaissance Project are also very well designed to fit the Fayetteville vibe.

Either Fayetteville is very lucky to get so many buildings that just work, or they are doing a great job of steering development. I'd wager its a combination of the two. One thing I always loved about Fayetteville is that it has so many residents who genuinely care about their community and get involved in things like the Farmer's Market, planning meetings, beautification, etc. I believe that community spirit is reflected in a lot of the developers building in the downtown /Dickson area. Joe Fennel and the guys who did Three Sisters were absolutely visionary.

The people are what make Fayetteville the great town that it is. I can't wait to get back.

I agree. This building seems a lot like Three Sisters without being as overt in mixing different styles.

Both buildings take cues from the existing streetscape in Fayetteville and that is why neither will be distinguishable from older buildings in the area in a few years. I think the Legacy building and the Renaissance Project are also very well designed to fit the Fayetteville vibe.

Either Fayetteville is very lucky to get so many buildings that just work, or they are doing a great job of steering development. I'd wager its a combination of the two. One thing I always loved about Fayetteville is that it has so many residents who genuinely care about their community and get involved in things like the Farmer's Market, planning meetings, beautification, etc. I believe that community spirit is reflected in a lot of the developers building in the downtown /Dickson area. Joe Fennel and the guys who did Three Sisters were absolutely visionary.

The people are what make Fayetteville the great town that it is. I can't wait to get back.

I agree. Although there are some people probably frustrated because it may be harder to get developments done. But it is nice that a lot of people do actually care what's going on and such.

These buildings are amazing, and I hope that more of the similar kinds of buildings are going to be built around the Downtown vacinity and hopefully College Ave.

• 1 month later...

Here's a render of the development.

underwood1.jpg

Here's a link that shows all the projects this group is working on.

http://www.amaregi.com/projects.html

I'll go ahead and post an some info listed on the site for the development.

The Lofts at Underwood Plaza is a powerful collaboration among some of the community’s standouts: Bill and Craig Underwood and AMA with Nock Investments and Ted and Leslie Belden. Just steps away from the University of Arkansas and a stroll from the Downtown Square, the eight-story development will have prime Dickson Street frontage, will be loft-inspired and will be very open, providing top-floor residents with a 360-degree vista of Fayetteville.

The Lofts will contain approximately 89,760 square feet of total enclosed living area and 15,240 square feet of retail and office space. As a mixed-use project, the building's bottom floor will cater to retail shops, and commercial offices will be available on the second floor. Floors three through eight are reserved for residences.

A five-story, well-hidden attached parking garage will have 303 spaces, affording residents and patrons alike ample opportunity for convenient parking. In addition, the design by architect Robert Sharp pays tribute to New Orleans with plenty of outdoor terraces offering breathtaking views from the heart of Fayetteville's entertainment district.

Plans for the Lofts allow for a 15-month construction period from start to finish. There will be 72 units available, consisting of one to three bedrooms and ranging in size from 600 square feet to over 2,600 square feet. Pricing is not yet available

This is simply beautiful, I can't complain with this development. Combinding old building styles with new ideas, absolutely beautiful.

Yeah this is one of the developments I think I am looking most forward to. From what I'm seeing in the renderings it really looks like something I'm going to like a lot.

Beat me to it again... credit goes to you for a great find Mith! This kind of architecture is what really impresses me. What imagination it takes to create such a work of art.

I've posted something similar before but it was from a picture I took of a sign on the site. But I saw that on the internet and thought maybe it would appear a little better. That and the pic I posted before is pretty far back in the topic now. But I am glad I found the website. I had no idea that AMA had done so many of the nice projects up here. I have to say I'm really impressed by both the AMA and Barber Group.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I found out why nothing has been happening with this development. The city hasn't approved it yet and they seem to keep putting it off. They tabled it again to talk about it another time. I get the impression they're a bit hesitant on it in part because of it's height. I'm wondering if they're waiting till everything is finalized on the building height ordinance before they decide on this project. One area of this development would be 9 stories. But it wouldn't be on the street front, it's stepped back. The developers also mentioned it wouldn't block views or anything the way they designed it. I can't say I'd want all the buildings around Dickson to necessarily be 9 stories but this seems designed very nicely and as I mentioned earlier it's stepped back so that the 9 story section is away from the street. Hopefully the city will eventually pass this. The building heights for the downtown area are a little low for my taste but overall I do agree with what they're trying to do. But I just think they need to allow a little more height to allow projects like this more feasible and also to increase more infill and less sprawl.

Well I found out why nothing has been happening with this development. The city hasn't approved it yet and they seem to keep putting it off. They tabled it again to talk about it another time. I get the impression they're a bit hesitant on it in part because of it's height. I'm wondering if they're waiting till everything is finalized on the building height ordinance before they decide on this project. One area of this development would be 9 stories. But it wouldn't be on the street front, it's stepped back. The developers also mentioned it wouldn't block views or anything the way they designed it. I can't say I'd want all the buildings around Dickson to necessarily be 9 stories but this seems designed very nicely and as I mentioned earlier it's stepped back so that the 9 story section is away from the street. Hopefully the city will eventually pass this. The building heights for the downtown area are a little low for my taste but overall I do agree with what they're trying to do. But I just think they need to allow a little more height to allow projects like this more feasible and also to increase more infill and less sprawl.

What doesn't make sense is Fayetteville is wanting to limit building height whereas Bentonville is wanting to build upwards. For a city that's supposed to be the most urban in NWA Fayetteville is pretty much handing over the title to Bentonville.

What doesn't make sense is Fayetteville is wanting to limit building height whereas Bentonville is wanting to build upwards. For a city that's supposed to be the most urban in NWA Fayetteville is pretty much handing over the title to Bentonville.

If height is your only criteria for urbanity, then yes.

I think that the city of Fayetteville might be going a bit overboard right now if a 9 story building is really causing them pains as far as height restrictions.

What they will find as property values continue to increase is that development simply isn't feasible downtown unless the developer allowed to go up a few floors and maximize the peice of land. Otherwise the land cost will make development unprofitable.

Well I think we are seeing some conflicting views from city officials. There are certainly some that want a more compact dense city but others seem to be emphasizing a more 'small town' feel I think with lower buildings. As I said before I can understand not wanting to cover up and hide historical buildings and such around the downtown area. But I do think the limits they set are just a little too low. That and I do think that exceptions can be made if it's for a good development like this one looks like it will be. But as was mentioned earlier if you set the limits so low and the real estate prices keep going up it's not going to make it economical to develop these pieces of land and create the infill we need. You're simply going to push developers further out from the city center.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the planning commision finally gave their stamp of approval to this project with a few modifications. Apparently the height (9 stories) is acceptable, however, the height has been recuced on the Dickson Street portion of the lot to try and keep from 'overwhelming the buildings around it'. The Lofts passed with a 7-2 vote, but it sounded like there was some pretty intense debate and lots of questions raised about compatibility of sturctures with the Dickson Street surroundings. I expect this debate will greatly intensify as the discussion of the proposed 15 story Divinity building heats up.

Looks like the planning commision finally gave their stamp of approval to this project with a few modifications. Apparently the height (9 stories) is acceptable, however, the height has been recuced on the Dickson Street portion of the lot to try and keep from 'overwhelming the buildings around it'. The Lofts passed with a 7-2 vote, but it sounded like there was some pretty intense debate and lots of questions raised about compatibility of sturctures with the Dickson Street surroundings. I expect this debate will greatly intensify as the discussion of the proposed 15 story Divinity building heats up.

Great news!

I think this development is going to be killer-awesome-radical.

I had gotten the impression that the 9 story part was already not going to be along the Dickson St side of the building. Maybe they cut it even further back. I heard they cut out a few condos to cut back the upper part of the building. Sounds like it will be four stories along Dickson. Yeah I also forsee the Divinity Building stirring up more debate. To me personally I always thought the Lofts at Underwood Plaza looked like they fit well from what I've seen from the renderings. Hopefully we'll see some more soon now that they've been approved. Anoth thing I feel I should note is that one of the people that has opposed a lot of these developments has apparently served out her term. I believe she has been one of the main components to trying to keep Fayetteville with a small town feel. I think she has certainly been against having any of the taller developments around the city. I wonder how this will effect future developments if all of this is true.

What a 15 story building?

I can't believe I missed out on another large building announcement for Downtown Fayetteville.

Someone please tell me. :D

Yep another Barber Group development, or possible development I guess I should say. Nice to see you Matt. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard through the grapevine that this development is going to start construction soon.

Hope to see some pics soon. :thumbsup:

You will as soon as they start doing something. :lol: I don't go by all the time but I usually try at least driving by Dickson once a week. In part to see what's going on. It's been about a week since I stopped by Qdoba and they hadn't done anything yet but I'm keeping my eyes open. :D

I've heard through the grapevine that this development is going to start construction soon.

Right now, they are waiting on the updated architectural drawings to be completed and will begin construction as soon as those are ready. All of the final engineering plans/drawings for the Underwood Lofts had to basically be redone because of the changes made to the structure to get it through the planning commision. They said last week that they hoped to start construction by 'mid to late summer' and that construction was tentatively planned to take 12-15 months. I wouldn't be surprised to see some ground work begin in the near future, but I don't think we'll see construction start in earnest for at least another couple of months.

Right now, they are waiting on the updated architectural drawings to be completed and will begin construction as soon as those are ready. All of the final engineering plans/drawings for the Underwood Lofts had to basically be redone because of the changes made to the structure to get it through the planning commision. They said last week that they hoped to start construction by 'mid to late summer' and that construction was tentatively planned to take 12-15 months. I wouldn't be surprised to see some ground work begin in the near future, but I don't think we'll see construction start in earnest for at least another couple of months.

Thanks for the update. Glad you mentioned that so I won't expect a lot of activity over there anytime soon.

• 4 months later...

Archived